Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Monday, November 21, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving ... A Little Early

Thursday is Thanksgiving in the United States. Canada celebrates something very simular only they celebrate on the second Monday in October. Note note everyone agrees with this description of what happened. Please just take this blog in the spirit it was inended. Here is a short description of Thanksgiving in the USA:

=============================================================

Thanksgiving is a holiday in the USA, celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. Normally, the Americans eat turkey on this day.

The First Thanksgiving

The pilgrims invited their two key Indian helpers, Squanto, Samoset, plus Chief Massasoit, to share in their Thanksgiving since they had been so instrumental in the pilgrims´ successes that summer. The Indians brought their families, numbering over 90 people. The pilgrims were overwhelmed, and didn´t have enough food, so the Indians brought along their own supplies for the feast. The Wampanoags brought turkey, deer, berries, squash, cornbread, and beans - things that they'd farmed and that they'd shown the Pilgrims how to care for.

Now on Thanksgiving, people eat Turkey still, and the football game is another thing people like.

Note there are those that would dissagree about the true origins of Thanksgiving and what actually occured on the day in question. I realise that but I am hoping we can just enjoy this for what it is worth.

=============================================================

In an effort to try and make this blog a little more fun I am enclosing two popular deserts. Everyone I have ever made these for just love them. Ejoy ...

BLUEBERRY STUFF

Source: Eileen Gioia
Categories: Desert
Servings:
WW Points:

• 1 quart blueberries
• large can crushed pineapples
• 1 box yellow cake mix
• 2 sticks butter
In a 9x13 glass pan layer: quart of berries, Large can crushed pineapple (drain a little), 1 box yellow cake mix (just the dry mix outta the box), two sticks melted butter.
Bake on 350 for 45 minutes. Best served warm with ice cream or cool whip. For a change use cherries in place of blueberries.

Pumpkin Cranberry Bread

Source: Detroit News - Sunday Magazine - 11/12/2000
Categories: Bread
Servings: 72
WW Points: 2

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups granulated sugar
15 ounces Libby's Pumpkin
4 large eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
½ cup orange juice
1 cup cranberries -- Sweetened, dried, fresh or frozen

1. PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
2. COMBINE flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Combine sugar, pumpkin, eggs, vegetable oil and orange juice in a large mixer bowl; beat until just blended. Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in cranberries. Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans.
3. BAKE for 60 to 65 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
4. FOR THREE 8 x 4-INCH LOAF PANS:
5. PREPARE as above. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes.
6. FOR FIVE OR SIX 5 x 3-INCH MINI-LOAF PANS:
7. PREPARE as above. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes.
Per serving: 85 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (35% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 10mg Cholesterol; 83mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

---
I used fresh cranberries and 8 x 4-inch pans. It took 1 hour and 15 minutes to cook. Make sure you check with the pick.
2 Comments:
Blogger ohc said...

Barman! YAY! Naturally I radiated right to the recipe! LOL! I LOVE cranberries! I just got 2 containers of this stuff called Cranberry Delight. Well, I am down to one mornings biscuts now...yep, I sppon that junk generously over my biscuts. Guess I will diet later. I get so mad at myself, but, hey, Cranberry Delight is awesome, I wear it well, lol.

Glad to see you finally blogged! Let me read more........

November 27, 2005 1:54 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Glad to see you around again OHC, I have been missing you on your blog with the holidays and all.

I enjoy cranberries but have never tried Cranberry Delight nor do I know what it is. I guess I have not lived. I best check into this. I do see a recipie, is that what it is?

November 27, 2005 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home