Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Honorary Canadian




First Happy Birthday Canada. Today is the 138th anniversary of the formation of the Dominion of Canada. This will provide you with more information about Canada Day should you be interested.

A while ago I asked a group of people that I associated with online if I could be considered an honorary Canadian since I was born on July 1st. (Yes, today is my birthday.) Their reply... sure you can. I am sure they assumed I was more than a little nuts but you see, since I discovered my birthday fell on the celebration of Dominion Day, I have always remembered that day with my own little mini celebration.

Growing up right next to Canada helped (I was born and lived just south of Detroit) and the fact they held a combined celebration between the United States and Canada sometime late in June with some of the best fireworks didn’t hurt either. At one point I had a crush on someone in Canada too but that did not work out. I have been curling in Canada and I love the sport. Hockey is way up there too. One of the most enjoyable parties I attended was a meeting with several of the people from the prior mentioned group. Anyway that is where the Honorary Canadian came from. Like Canada I also choose to keep my birthday rather low key.

Next year I turn 50. I am not sure how I feel about that but for now, bring it on. I am back home over the next several days with my family. We celebrate my birthday on Sunday. We will also go see a July 4th parade on Tuesday and fireworks and a fun concert (at least for me) at the fireworks that night. My high school band director is conducting the Downriver Community Band. They are pretty good and it sure brings back a lot of good memories.

So I will be a little busy but I will try and poke my nose back in from time to time. Happy Birthday Canada. Happy Birthday United States. To those celebrating have a safe holiday. To anyone else, enjoy your weekend..
14 Comments:
Blogger Wenchy said...

Happy Happy Happy Birthday my dear friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope the next year brings you much happiness, joy and love.

July 01, 2006 1:58 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Thank you dear Wenchy.

July 01, 2006 7:41 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Thank you Denny.

July 01, 2006 9:31 AM  
Blogger mkecurler said...

Oh Canada! And Happy Birthday to you! I'll make some poutine tonight in your honor. I will always be secretly canadian! Thinkin' of coming over to Detroit this Oct. will keep you posted...

July 01, 2006 12:30 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Never had Potine but it sounds like something I would love. October could be fun. Let me know if you have a little free time.

July 01, 2006 12:47 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Happy Happy Birthday!

July 01, 2006 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bryan..I hope you got the second e-card, the one with the farting frog.
I accidentally clicked on the wrong one when sending it...LOL
Enjoy yourself and have a great day, looks like the rain may hold off but it's gonna be HOT HOT HOT.

Thank you for your kind words on my blog.:)
tc

July 02, 2006 7:10 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Thank you Beadinggalinms, it was s low start but a nice day. We celebrate today (Sunday). Hey I so love your profile picture as I am an animal lover at heart.

Oh no Top Cat, I wondered what happened. I thought they were the same. The first one was nice but I have to go find me some frogs. Thanks so much buddy. Luck for me, where I am at there is a pool. Bring on the heat ... Oh wait a minute, that was a mistake.

July 02, 2006 7:36 AM  
Blogger barman said...

OMG, thank you Top Cat. That card was perfect. I think I shall have to show it off.

July 02, 2006 7:49 AM  
Blogger Tamara said...

Happy 4th of July weekend Bryan!
T.

July 02, 2006 12:09 PM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

Happy belated Birthday Bryan...hope you had a get day!!

July 02, 2006 1:29 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Aawww sweetie, I am sorry I missed your birthday.

happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear barman, happy birthday to you!

I feel bad now. I was singing out loud though. does that help. You would have laughed your hiney off.

God didn't give me a voice for song. He gave me rythm.

Do you think you might be able to hit indiansfan blog. She is in the comment field of the post below my current one. She need encouraged to become a fellow blogger.

Thanks babe. Have a happy rest of your weekend.

July 02, 2006 5:53 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Thank you Tammi. I hope you have a great time at the lake with all those floaty things. I do fireworks and the community band concert on the 4th and that will be great. Bet I am tired at work on Wednesday.

July 02, 2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger barman said...

The birthday went nice. It is always nice to get family together. I hope you have a nice 4th despite the LDR with Bob.

Manny, I can not seem to stay on pitch no matter what I do when I attempt to sing so we would might some pair. I will let you in on a secret, I celebrated today (Sunday) so you are right on time. Amazing. Oh by the wau, done Manny. I would have done that anyway but I have just not been on the computer much today.

July 02, 2006 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home