Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, June 23, 2006

Take Your Dog to Work Day

It's Take Your Dog to Work Day. This is a new one on me. I heard it mentioned and I one person asked if it was OK to bring their dog into work. I thought they were crazy or their co-worker was pulling their leg. Nut no.

When I woke up this morning the radio station I listen to was promoting they say as the DJ had brought his dog to work. So what is this all about.

It turns out this is the brain child of a group called Pet Sitters International, a group that promotes professional pet sitting. They started Take Your Dog To Work Day back in June 1999. It appears it happens on the 4th Friday in June every year since. One of the things they are hoping it will promote is people who could use the love of of a dog get encouraged to adopt a dog. Also they say it allows you to bring your pride and joy into work to show them off.

Now it is not for everyone. Around these neck of the woods it is illegal to bring a pet into a restaurant. A leader dog/guide dog is allowed but not a pet. I am sure there are a lot of other places like that. One site provided some tips:

Stay Out of the Doghouse with This Advice

  • Make sure the boss and your coworkers are comfortable with the idea.
  • Bring only socialized, quiet, friendly and well-house-trained dogs to work. Leave aggressive, nervous or sick dogs at home.
  • Use a leash and/or baby gates to keep your dog inside your cube or other open workplace. "Office hallways cannot become an off-leash dog run," says Kain.
  • Dogs must be well-groomed and flea-free.
  • Puppy-proof your office. "Make sure wires, poisonous plants, pens, rubber bands, and any choking or chewing hazards are all out of reach," Long advises.
  • Create a space for your dog with his own pad, toys and bowls.
  • Ask someone to watch and walk your dog if you're away from your desk.

"Pets are wonderful companions," Long says. "But we need to exercise common sense when bringing them to the workplace."

Now I am not sure what I think of this. On the one side I am an animal lover. Ever since I have been a small kid I have had a big thing for dogs and have since learned to love just about all animals. But taking a pet to work? I guess I just work in a professional environment and it seems kind of out of place there. Of course maybe it would be OK. Also I can not help but think about the people that are afraid of dogs.

I would imagine at least someone will bring their dog in and we will see. I hope no one gets in trouble as I have not heard anything official saying we can participate.

Anyway I thought I would share what is going on in this neck of the woods. Have a great weekend.



[catching scent of Wendell in a crowded restaurant] I smell dog! --The 10th Kingdom
12 Comments:
Blogger barman said...

Some places this would be a good idea. There are several pet stores that it is fine to bring your pet in but I am having a problem with it myself Denny.

June 23, 2006 7:52 AM  
Blogger Manny said...

Will they have again again next year?

Time to buy a rottie. LOL

June 23, 2006 7:53 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Yikes, I think I need to skip on that day Manney. I love dogs but I am not to crazy about rottweilers.

June 23, 2006 8:09 AM  
Blogger GAB said...

I think this is the dumbest idea ever. You have to supply water,food and still have to take them outside to do their business. and so there you are you are right in a confrence with (oh say someone in england) and your dog starts barking...he's gotta go NOW! please tell me just what do you tell your person that your making a sweet deal with because you gotta take the dog out? Excuse me please while I put you on hold my dog needs to go out?LOL and those long distance charges while they are holding while your dog is sniffing this spot and that spot to pick his spot to do his business!OMG. Now if it was take your cat to work that would be better because you put down a litter box,food and water and let the cat take over your office.

June 23, 2006 8:36 AM  
Blogger Brighton said...

Ok, that is just plain nuts, I can understand bringing your kid to work- they can actually get something out of it. But a pet?
Whatever.

June 23, 2006 2:26 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Well so far it looks like every agrees, what are they thiking?

Gab I suspect (as I noticed dive_goddess mention) that the dog would be pawned off on one of the other workers. That is just wrong.

Brighton, I had a problem when it was bring you daughter to work day but when they revised it to bring your child to work day I was all for it. Well mostly for it. I think one of your prior jobs may have been a problem.

Dive goddess, glad to see you back. Just over three weeks ... you go girl. I can't believe what you have to put up with, with the dog. That is just wrong. If people want to do this sort of thing why not have a company picnic and take the dog there? Great you are back.

June 23, 2006 3:33 PM  
Blogger Crabby said...

I'd like somebody to take Smilin George to work and leave him there. The little punk! If he pees on one more indoor plant I'm gonna squish him flat!

I'm actually a very nice person in real life.

June 23, 2006 4:09 PM  
Blogger Brighton said...

Barman- HA! Now that would be a hoot, "Bring you kid to watch you strip!" We could even hook them up stage side with dollar bills and juice boxes...

June 23, 2006 4:19 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

LMAO at Crabby!!

I have to agree that this is one of the dumbest ideas ever.

We have a dog in the sign shop. She barks every time I get on the phone. She barks and tries to eat anyone who comes through the door. I have to let her out then she wants back in. I'm telling you, I spend more time dealing with the dumb dog than I do actually working.

June 23, 2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

P.S. Did I say Im more of a cat person than dog? Dont get me wrong I love dogs I just perfer cats!

June 23, 2006 9:04 PM  
Blogger Roxi said...

um no.. my dog aint going nowhere

June 24, 2006 12:14 PM  
Blogger wmy said...

how weird that you brought this up,...just last night, we had a woman try to bring her dog (tiny little thing) into the restaurant, and of course we had to say no to her...she was furious! She acted like we were the only restaurant on the planet who didn't allow dogs!! Gotta love the lovlies right?? lol (No, I am not sure what that means, I just made it up)

June 24, 2006 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home