Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Unwelcome House Guests

Well it happened. The ants moved in for the year about a week ago. I have always got a few ants but nothing like last year. They were horrible. Nothing I did seemed to get rid of them.

I think part of it is my property is very sandy. It proves very desirable for some plants and for those darn ants.

Anyway this year I decided to give the ants and eviction notice before they even finished moving in especially since they seemed ever worse than normal on the outside of the house.

I scrubbed the kitchen floor to almost ceiling and it really did not seem to help. I have tried those trap thinggies last year and the ants ignored them. I was not playing that game again.

Well this year I sprayed some stuff down that was suppose to form a shield to keep them away. I think it smells something like ode da ant eater to them or something. I went on the outside of the house and hit all around the sliding glass door. I also went around all other entrances spraying liberally.

Now I noticed the ants cut down a bunch but they were still there. After many days of sending a bunch of them to the great ant hill in the sky I finally found a spot in the corner of the kitchen near the sliding glass door that those beasties were coming in so I gave that a little sprits and yesterday I was ant free and the same for this morning. Yes, I think I have won at least for now.

I hope the only place you experience ants are on a picnic, if that.


You're not going to push him onto a red anthill, are you? --Home Improvement
10 Comments:
Blogger Crabby said...

We're having the same problem here. We had a black ant colony under our sliding door in the back and they had completely demolished the wood under there. I'm gonna have to spray the foundation weekly because I fear one night Bob and I will be sacked out on the sofa watching TV and the house will just fall down around us otherwise. LOL!

June 15, 2006 8:51 AM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

I know how you feel. I get them every year too. It seems no matter what I do, I still get that one little ant walking around on the bathroom floor. Never the kitchen, the bathroom. Go figure.

June 15, 2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I hear that if you put cinnamon around where the ants are, they repel from the smell of it. Weird home remedies there fer ya! ;) I have a huge problem with bees. Bring on the ants anytime!

June 15, 2006 4:20 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

I wish I knew the secret to getting rid of them. But ants are a part of nature and I have learned to just live with them.

June 15, 2006 6:09 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I have the little grease ants. If my kids would stop dropping food on the floor I think they would go away.

I've also heard that if you make a line of salt around the perimeter of your house, the ants won't cross it. Of course it washes away every time it rains.

Tony, ants in the bathroom are a bad thing. They have been linked to people that have Diabetes. The ants are drawn to the bathrooms of people who spill glucose in their urine. Have you been checked?

June 15, 2006 6:41 PM  
Blogger Naughty K said...

I had the same prob here in Colorado with ants a couple of weeks ago... Had to pay an over priced bug killer, but the appear to be under controll now...
Naked in Colorado

June 15, 2006 7:22 PM  
Blogger jungle jane said...

Hang on - you seem to have a monopoly on crawly things Barman. First you got all the mosquitoes then i sent you all our flies and now you have all the ants too?

Wow! Insect party over barman's everyone!!

June 15, 2006 10:26 PM  
Blogger mkecurler said...

We have ant issue as well. It's going to be a heavy year of them-inside and out. Maybe they've built up immunity to the sprays!

June 15, 2006 11:54 PM  
Blogger wmy said...

Congrats on your 2 ant free days!! It really is the little things that make us happy huh? lol We get those damn pincher bugs every year...I get the chills jsut thinking about it!

June 16, 2006 1:11 AM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

I cant like ants!

June 16, 2006 3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home