Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, June 16, 2006

Happy Fathers Day

The following comes from www.holidays.net/father/story.htm


The Story of Father's Day

Father's Day, contrary to popular misconception, was not established as a holiday in order to help greeting card manufacturers sell more cards. In fact when a "father's day" was first proposed there were no Father's Day cards!

Mrs. John B. Dodd, of Washington, first proposed the idea of a "father's day" in 1909. Mrs. Dodd wanted a special day to honor her father, William Smart. William Smart, a Civil War veteran, was widowed when his wife (Mrs. Dodd's mother) died in childbirth with their sixth child. Mr. Smart was left to raise the newborn and his other five children by himself on a rural farm in eastern Washington state. It was after Mrs. Dodd became an adult that she realized the strength and selflessness her father had shown in raising his children as a single parent.

The first Father's Day was observed on June 19, 1910 in Spokane Washington. At about the same time in various towns and cities across American other people were beginning to celebrate a "father's day." In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge supported the idea of a national Father's Day. Finally in 1966 President Lyndon Johnson signed a presidential proclamation declaring the 3rd Sunday of June as Father's Day.

Father's Day has become a day to not only honor your father, but all men who act as a father figure. Stepfathers, uncles, grandfathers, and adult male friends are all honored on Father's Day.


My Dad was always there for me. In times when I got out of line he set me straight. When I needed to see the doctor (and I was a sickly kid) he made sure we could go to the doctor. We had plenty to eat, had a roof over our heads, a nice stable environment to live in. He provided us with a set of encylopedias which I adored. When they were concerned about the neighborhood we were growing up in he moved us to a much better area with better schools. In general my Dad provided for us and even though I may not have got every toy I wanted, I still had plenty. The only thing I wish that could have been different would have been to spend more time doing things together like baseball but he had it tough providing for us and I understand. He sold insurance hoping to get ahead and pushing insurance on people is not his thing. He became a formen to make a little extra money despite the fact that it made things much tougher on him. He took on second jobs when needed. When he was out of work for a short period of time he found a way to get us through until he found the next job. Of course there was always deer hunting in the fall. I have a lot of fond of my Dad and growing up and I continue to add to these memories today.

I don't know how much I will be around over this weekend as I will be out golfing (poorly) with my Dad and Sister and celebrating Father's Day with my Dad and the fmaily. I just wanted to take a moment to recognize Dad's everywhere. I think it is very appropriate to have a day in recognition. A special shout out to a few of you fellow bloggers I know are fathers. BTExpress, Croaker, Denny, GoGo, Jon, Top Cat, Happy Father's Day to you and to those that I forgot. May you have a very pleasant weekend filled with family and friends.



You fathers will understand. You have a little girl. She looks up to you. You're her oracle. You're her hero. And then the day comes when she gets her first permanent wave and goes to her first real party, and from that day on, you're in a constant state of panic. --Father of the Bride
7 Comments:
Blogger jungle jane said...

that's lovely barman. i adore my dad - every man i engage with is compared to him. he is my yardstick.

you are a hottie barman. i guess you have at least 1,000 children, right?

June 16, 2006 8:28 AM  
Blogger GAB said...

I will honor my father this weekend even though he doesnt deserve it. Im just that way...I will respect him even though he doesnt deserve it to show my grandkids to respect their elders.(whispering..I was sexually abused by my dad)
Happy Fathers day to you hope you have a good one!

June 16, 2006 9:16 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Jane, I hope you Dad is in the UK so that when you return you can visit. I think using your Dad as a yard stick can be a hard thing for someone to compare to but I sure sure can understand that. By the way, no kids ... that I know of!

Son, is that you? Denny, she never told me, honest. I have so much to make up to you. I know, just send 10s and 20s. :)

Gab that is tough. I have a friend who is in pretty much the same boat only now she has almost nothing to do with her family because of it and her Mom did nothing about it either. I am sorry to hear that but good for you for bringing your kids up properly.

June 16, 2006 10:34 AM  
Blogger Brighton said...

Ok, the fact that you quoted from Father Of The Bride, well that's just HOT. Seriously, my favourite feel good movie of all time.
I hope your Dad has a wonderful father's day!!

June 16, 2006 11:06 PM  
Blogger wmy said...

I have an awesome dad too!! The more I learn as a parent, the more I really appreciate both of mine...and I am a daddy;s girl from way back...btw, I loooovvvvveeee Father of the bride!

June 18, 2006 12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for a great post Bryan and for including me in your thoughts.
Have a wonderful time and it's now Sunday and I hope you don't get the storms they are predicting for us, it's starting to get windy!
Happy Son's Day Bryan!!
tc

June 18, 2006 12:33 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Hi Barman, I was going to post about father's day, but then decided wtf? I guess mine is just lucky I don't sue over back child support or that I didn't run him over that day....eeeerr well never mind.

My mom was my dad and always got cool father's day gift's she would cry, I would get off punishment, and so was my life as a teen. hahha

June 18, 2006 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home