Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Weather Central here...

By the way, if I duck out of here quick... sorry.

Oh my things are a happening here. They have had a Tornado Warning on several times today. It comes off, it goes back on, it gets extended, yadda, yadda, yadda. I never really was all that worried. We had several moderate thunder storms move through including one about 5:00 am and that was not bad. But what got me worried is the sky.

Now I do not know if you have ever seen a tornado or that time when conditions are favorable for tornadoes? To me the sky seems to turn this sickly pea green/yellowish color. To me when you see that you either run or you at least keep your eyes pealed. Well right now the sky is that very color and we do have a Tornado Watch in affect. My darn weather radio has been going off so much that I hear it going off even now when it is not sounding. That shrilling plectron sound followed by NOAA radio coming on and informing of the latest news. This may be a very interesting night.

Speaking of twister ...


Right Foot BLUE...

I have played this game a little when growing up and it was fun but now ... well the game has a whole new fascination with me. Of course I don't think I could play it now if I wanted to. Now I could probably get both feet firmly planted on that mat. I might even get one hand down but that is it, it would be all over. Why did I bring this up... um, I don't know. I guess it just needed to escape.

This one time, at band camp...

When I was in high school I took band. marching band during football season, symphonic the rest of the time. Now we were under a great director, James Skura. He had us doing a lot of things including parades, competitions, performance, and more performances. Probably my most favorite thing we did was Band-A-Rama but I will save that for another post. My next most favorite thing was Band Camp.

We would spend just short of a week in a Christian camp. We would start the day fairly early out at the flag pole as the flag was hoisted into place. By the way it was not uncommon to see various items of clothing hiked up on the flag pole to but that is a different story.

Next we would head off to breakfast in the large hall. First we would start by singing a hymn before breakfast.

Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow
Praise Him All Creatures Here Below
Praise God Above Yea Heavenly Hosts
Praise Father Son and Holy Ghost

Left Foot YELLOW...

Then off to breakfast we went. It was not fantastic but it was always decent.

Throughout the week we split up serving, cleanup and dish duties. Since we had over 100 people at band camp there were plenty of hands to get things done.

Throught the day we had various practices, some inside, some outside. It was during one of the outside practices that I met HER! I instantly fell in love.

We were doing a particularly long and grooling practice on the football field. It was lots of high stepping, twists and turns on a dime, march four steps and a 270 turns, march 6 more steps and a 90. All this while playing MUSIC. It was a big challange and we needed to repeat it many, many times.

I was so beat. I was a sweaty mess and was about ready to die. They let us go and I went up to the lodge and that, that is where I met HER! She was tall, thin, green, and sweating every bit as much as I was. GREEN? Yes I said green. She was my first bottle of Mountain Dew.

Oh my gosh it was unbelievable how good that tasted. Later when I got a job at a party store I learned of a whole new way to enjoy my Mountain Dew. Toss it in the freezer for just the right amount of time. Not to long or it will freeze, to short and nothing happens but if you do it just right ... when you open the bottle everything turns to sluch. A dew slushy. Yumm.

Anyway now you know my deep dark secret crush.

There was lots of other things that happened at camp including challanges as teams with vollyball, basball and the likes, swimming in the pond, skit night, tug of war in the main lodge, sneaking out of the cabins at night (something the Senior boys were kicked out for when we were Senoirs Gurrr!) and much more. Initiating the Freshman into the group by the Seniors which usually formed a special bond.

In general Band Camp was something to be looked forward to. It was a lot of work and it was then that we worked up our marching rountines for the football games and also the parades that we would march in. We also learned most of the songs that we would do during the marching season. But we had a lot of good times too.

Well that is long enough and confusing enough so I best end right now. Oh and by the way, it is dark now and I think the weather thingy has settled down. Maybe I can thinl about going to sleep soon.

Left Hand RED...

Oh and by the way, the tag line below. I knew there was a running joke about "This one time at band camp" in American Pie but I did not realize they actually said THAT. Oh my, I guess I should pay closer attention to the movies.


Michelle: And this one time, at band camp, I stuck a flute in my pussy.
Jim: [Choking on his beer.] Excuse me?
Michelle: What, you don't think I know how to get myself off? Hell, that's what half of band camp is... sex-ed! So, are we gonna screw soon? 'Cause I'm getting kinda antsy.
. --American Pie
12 Comments:
Blogger GAB said...

Ah yes summer time and tornados! I was never in Band or Band camp so that actually flew over my head....well almost..see hubby just watched that dvd yesterday and of course there was that famous one time at band camp line. ah yes that laughter rang out over and over as many pictures came to mind(I have a very dirty mind). I am actually thinking of trading in the tornados for hurricanes now aint that a hoot! LOL which is worse tornados? Hurricanes? they both can do major damage. Tornados scare the hell out of me. I had one chase me once and well lets just say my pants were a little on the wet side(age 12)My dad was driving the car and we manage to out run it. The guy on the radio kept saying if your in a car get out and into a ditch. My dad on the other hand said oh hell lets see if we can outrun it. I watched out the back window(well as much as I could see through all the rain) and told dad if it was still following us. That was the first time in SD history that a tornado followed the highway for more than a mile. And I can testify that it followed us for about 10 miles before it finally jumped the road and went across the field. I never and I repeat never want to experance that again.

June 21, 2006 11:20 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Gab I like Dirty minds. To fully appreciate band camp you need to be a band geek but that is OK, this post was a smorgasborg anyway... something for most.

I think huricanes worry me more. It hits such a large area and it takes more to recover from but at least you know it is coming usually. I hope if that means you are heading to Florida that you do not go to low in the state. It seems like the huricanes seem to hit down there all the time.

The worst I did with a tornado is see one from about 2 to 3 miles away. It seemed like it was coming closer but I think it was actually cutting across so no chasing. That would have been scary especially at that age. I would not want to do that either.

June 22, 2006 12:01 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Oh I forgot, left foot GREEN.

June 22, 2006 12:02 AM  
Blogger Manny said...

We had storms here yesterday too.

Want to go chase some? I'll drive.

June 22, 2006 5:07 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Hey Manny, I think that would be fun but I might get to be a little bit of scared if we get to close. Of course with you driving, no worries.

June 22, 2006 6:06 AM  
Blogger Brighton said...

The only thing better is naked Twister, Travis and I have done that one a few times : )

June 22, 2006 8:49 AM  
Blogger GAB said...

Yes...I will be up in I guess what they call Northern Fl. My sister-in-law has lived in the Orange Park area like for the last 25 years and she said all they have ever gotten from all those Hurricanes that hit these last few years has been extra rain. She said they havent been hit(directly) in about 15 years. As for Twister the game I played once by myself all my friends were to good to play that game they were all into monoply..life..scrabble..clue. I played those games too but usually as soon as I started to win they all quit!

June 22, 2006 9:36 AM  
Blogger GAB said...

I forgot left hand blue

June 22, 2006 9:36 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Right boob PURPLE.

All right, who has been messing with the spinny thing?

June 22, 2006 1:13 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

not me!

June 22, 2006 3:54 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Very entertaining, Barman! Mr. Sign and I were driving and flying in all that bad weather yesterday. It's almost 100 degrees here. I'm hot!

Left nut orange!

June 22, 2006 4:18 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Butt checks meet porcelain. Opps, that was not a spin. I think someone left the toilet seat up!

June 22, 2006 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home