Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Monday, June 26, 2006

Wasp Hunter

Yesterday was so much fun. I think you all would have been proud of me. So what did I do? I was hunting wasps! That's right, I was out to put an end to some of those terrible little beasties.
A few days ago I had my sliding glass door open with the screen shut. Unfortunetly there should be a channel that the screen slides into but it is no where to be found. This means there is a gap that "things" can find their way in. Well this is the second time that it happened. The wasps built a nest attached to the top right of the screen. First thing I did when I discovered this was slam that darn door shut. I had the door open for at least 20 minutes and I am sure the nest was not built over night either.

Well today was the day that I was going to deal with it. I missed not having my door open. Now normally this would not be to bad but I have this problem. You see when I was young I managed to walk into a spot on the lawn and was swarmed by a bunch a bees. My Dad used the hose to get rid of them before we got out of there. Another time I was minding my own business drinking a can of pop and guess what was inside? I got stung on the inside of my lip by a slightly pissed off bee. I have also had wasps flying around in a past apartment I had. I guess what I am saying is I am kind of a wuss when it comes to bees and wasps.

Well I watched them for a long time. Get to know the enemy. There was a nest that was a little smaller then the size of a golf ball. There was at least 6 wasps hanging around. There was almost always at least 1 wasp at the nest. The others flew around between the screen and the glass. Usually there were at least a couple of wasps that hung near the nest.

Over a period of a half hour or so I opened the glass door just a pimch and closed it again many, many times. At one point I had the vaccum cleaner ready to try and suck them up. Of course I was not sure this would work and if it didn't I would be in a world of hurt. Well I finally managed to get the screen open a little and then I decided to call it quits until a little later. I seemed to remember the time to deal with wasps was at dusk.

Well dusk came around and I looked at them for a while and opened the door a couple of times and closed them quick. The wasps moved a little but never left the nest. Finally I opened the door and squirted them and the nest with hornet and wasp killer and quickly closed the door.

A few of the wasps came off the mest and really looked a little messed up. All together there were 4 wasps flying. Eventually they fell to the ground. Next I opened the door and worked the nest loose and closed the door again. PLOP ... SPLAT ... nothing.

I let a minute or so go by and finally opened the door and the screen and sweeped the wasps and the nest outside. Yea, now I can have my door open once again.

OK, so maybe you are not proud of me but I thought you would find it entertaining.


Beekeeping. You know when you're a kid and a bee comes round, your dad's like, "stand still," that's so the bee can come up and really get you. I think running around's better 'cause then they have a difficult job, but no apparently 'stand there' and wasps are just crap, they have a wasp's nest, they go in there, I don't know what they do, they just don't do anything, they're just like, "let's go out and sting someone," it seems. --We Know Where You Live
12 Comments:
Blogger Brighton said...

Hate, hate, hate bees and wasps. If someone could explain their purpose as well as the purpose of the cockroach I would appreciate it.

June 26, 2006 8:43 AM  
Blogger GAB said...

I can not stand bees or wasps. And I freak something terrible. I miss having my doors open but I cant for awhile. You see when we rented the house while we were in SD they took, no make that tore off the screen doors. Punched holes in every single wall and broke several windows. (drug dealers)nuff said.

June 26, 2006 9:20 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Brighton, they will tell you the bees polinate the flowers but other than that, you got me. I sure could do without.

GAB, that sounds like my house. The people that had it before me abandonded it. The house went back to the bank and somehow was picked up by HUD. When I bought it as is at an overstocked auction the carpets were trashed, so was the kicthen floor. There was at least one hole in every room, sometimes the wall, sometimes the celling. They left some stuff behind like a fridge, freezer, and an organ but I got rid of all but the freezer. Most of the screens were a mess or missing. The deck, a disaster. But of course I got the house cheap. Try and buy a 1920 square foot home (1800 not including deck) for under $100,000 anywhere. Now this was 7 years ago but still. I still can not believe these people abandonded the house. I heard from a person that lived in the area that drugs were involved here also.

June 26, 2006 10:26 AM  
Blogger Roxi said...

Honey!!!!!

I was walking around on my grandparents farm when I was 12 and they have a long wooden staircase that goes up a hill to their house and I guess I disturbed a wasp nest.. I got stung on the butt.. that sucked..

I hate those little beastes

June 26, 2006 12:49 PM  
Blogger Crabby said...

We had a wasp nest once on a house that I swear to you was big as one of my snow boots. Maybe bigger.

We also had this American Indian fella who used to come by looking for yard work. I told him about the nest and darned if he didn't just climb up on a ladder and take the darn thing down with his hands. Like it was nothing!

I was sorely impressed!

He acted like it was no big deal at all. Didn't get stung once. I'm still amazed by that.

June 26, 2006 3:31 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Maybe you should call Crabby's guy next time. He sounds like a charmer.

June 26, 2006 8:47 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Are you going to tell us when your birthday is? I know it's coming up.

June 26, 2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Dive girl, what I read is some wasps are worse than others. Mine were paper wasps and I guess they are not agressive unless you mess with them. I did not know that at the time. I am pretty sure getting rid of them would be considered messing with them however.

Roxi I got stung while in the middle of the water the one time I went white water rafting. Talk about a shock. About your sting, if you ever have re-occuring problems with that ... let me know! :)

Crabbs that is amazing. I read that if you did not threaten them you were OK but there is no way I could do that. That would have been so amazing to see.

I agree Sign Gurl. That would have been a much better way to deal with the wasps. I am beating Crabby to the punch on birthdays. My day falls on Canada's birthday, July 1st.

June 26, 2006 9:41 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

I got your fabulous cd's with the pictures on today. Thank you a million times over babe!!!!!!!

June 27, 2006 9:59 AM  
Blogger Manny said...

This one time, at band camp....haha

I had to bring out the ladder once to get a nest out of the peak of the roof. Just me and a good ol can of brake fluid. LOL
I didn't even get stung.

I once left my grill out all winter. It was covered. Anyway, the next spring I took the cover off and bees were living inside it.

I also had wasps take over a bird feeder that was made of wood and clear plastic.

June 27, 2006 1:07 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I have a huge problem with bees of any kind. By my pool and in that general area, we are swarmed by wasps and yellow jackets. We bring in the exterminator, but for some odd reason, they choose to blast these suckers in the mid-afternoon---when they are all OUT of their nests. So they rebuild another nest. Totally pointless.

I'm allergic to bees, so the fear of getting stung is overwhelming. I can't even enjoy to be outside.

My girlfriend said, "Oh they won't bother you if you don't bother them."

Yeah right. She 'stood still' while one was flying around and WAMMM!!!!! Got stung.

Never believe what they say!!!!

June 27, 2006 3:26 PM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

Way to go Bwana Barman! I had to do that to a paper wasp nest once.

June 27, 2006 7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home