Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Sunday, June 25, 2006

What I Did on My Summer Vacation

I have always had this thing for technical stuff. Since I was young I remember getting into lots of trouble. Once I disassembled my grandmothers kitchen table. My first stereo was a turntable, a small mono amp a small reel to reel tape recorder that could also amplify, and a pair of non matching speakers. I was so proud going up to Korvettes and purchasing my first albums. Some of them were 3 for a dollar so you can imagine the quality of those albums. One album that I seem to remember for some reason was by the Fat Mattress. I can’t remember any songs on that album but back then it was all about how many albums I had, not necessarily what they were. Then there was Chicago Transit Authority which became Chicago but that is a different obsession of mine.

Anyway as I grew older I messed around with electrical stuff, with lighting, with sound, a lot of little things. I was fascinated with this sort of thing. I loved seeing all this stuff in action too which is a good thing because my sister was always performing somewhere.

Growing up the neighborhood girls all took classes at the recreation center. They took Jazz, Tap, Ballet ... a little bit of everything. As time went on they eventually became instructors at the same place they took all their lessons.

Well back in those days (late 60s, early 70s) we were always doing things as a neighborhood. When the Olympics came around we would form our own mini Olympics. It involved ping pong, pool, bicycle riding and running. As a matter of fact that is how I managed to chip my tooth. I was riding my bike along side the participants in a race and was paying more attention to the race then where I was going and kapow, right into the back of a parked car. I felt so stupid. Anyway one of the things we did for many years was put together a performance for the neighborhood.

One of our neighbors was always kind enough to volunteer their backyard so we could put on the recital of sorts. We would print up fliers and go around the neighborhood soliciting people to come see the performance. We would also put together sound and lights and even a curtain. Seats and refreshments and popcorn. We had a regular production going there. I will never forget some songs as they were just drilled into my head during that time. Two of those songs were One and Joy to the World by Three Dog Night.

Well the opening would come and we would play to a lot of people. We did not charge a lot and generally we found something interesting to donate the money to so that probably helped too. We would have multiple performances and always did pretty good. There were always these little problems that would occur but we would get through it. The girls did wonderful, the guys managed to keep everything going straight and run the concessions, etc. We had a fun time.

One year was most interesting. We actually got the news out there and they did a feature on us, you one of those feel good stories to offset how depressing the news is. That year we did pretty good and we chose this one organization that taught kids with learning disabilities to donate our proceeds to. They were very appreciative and they asked something of us. They wanted us to put on a performance for their kids in the schools auditorium. Wow, how special was that.

Well we had access to the lights, curtains, sound ... I was in heaven. We put together a nice little show and they loved it. In the end I think we all came away with one super memory and a warm feeling inside.

Well this pointless drivel has went on long enough. I hope everyone is either having or had a great weekend depending when you read this.


Jeremiah was a bullfrog... Was a good friend of mine... Never understood a single word he said... But I helped him drink his wine... --The X-Files
9 Comments:
Blogger wmy said...

ahhhh..one look at that title, and I was right back in 6th grade...telling everyone what I did on my summer vacation!! Sounds like you had some fun times as a youngster! lol I really wish the kids today would do stuff like that. Although, the most inventive we got when I was a kid was the weekly lemonade sale we had...my mom was always so pissed when she got home from work and realized that we had pilfered all her sugar and cups and everything...again!! lol have a great weekend!

June 25, 2006 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...you are going back in time when you said Korvette's.
I really liked CTA.I just picked up a concert on DVD with Chicago and Earth Wind and Fire from the Greek Theater from 2004.
It's great, they each have their own disc and play together for a couple of songs.
Rock on DUDE!!
tc

June 25, 2006 12:27 PM  
Blogger barman said...

WMY, we always managed to have fun over summer. Cick the can comes to mind, swimming, lots of ping pong and pool, some baseball, four square. All and all lots of group activities. Something you just do not see much of these days. If three people are together that seems like a lot.

Top Cat, I may need to go check it out. [time passes] Make that I just ordered it. Thank you so much. My parents thank you too as that is going to be my birthday present from them.

June 25, 2006 3:13 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Well I would steal er uh borrow my cousins little green army men, (they came in a big giant plastic bags) his older brother's fire crackers,and play war. Does that count.

Man those little green jeeps would go flying through the air if you used 2 or 3 firecrackers.

Oh I forgot I was grounded for life. Don't tell mom I'm out of my room!

June 25, 2006 3:52 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Manny, I think when you got married to the ex your grounding was over.

You must have been a real hoot growing up with. I once got in trouble writting in wet cement. That is the extent of my ... well there was not doing what I was told and being smart when I should not have been but ... I could have learned so much from you. What you doing for the 4th? LOL

June 25, 2006 4:02 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

The one and omly thing I did good(or lets say a good cause) is the summer I helped in the MS carnival that we held in a neighbor's back yard. Back then their was a field behind our house so we had lots of room to set things up. I was feeling very pround as I was giving tractor rides. That may not seems interesting to you but at theat time it was one of the biggest attractions going at our carnival. My dad had bought this lawn tractor but took off the blades he then made a hitch on the back and made a cart that would carry up to 6 people to hook to the back. The real porpose was for me to take my sister D who has CP out on daily rides. That way she got to be outside and not in her wheelchair. When they asked me to donate my time and gas to do the ride for the kids I said yes. I took them out into the back field and ran them around the ball diamond and then back to the yard. the cost was 25cents each ride. You can imange I was the most popular attraction and of course made the most of the money for MS. Imange how I felt when I actually got a letter from Jerry Lewis(who by the way is one of my favorite actors)thanking me for my help.(of course I didnt understand what a form letter was at that time but it was ok). I love One and Joy to the world. Thank goodness for oldies radio.....my grandkids get to hear what I listened to as a teen.

June 26, 2006 12:08 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Hey GAB, that would have been so cool.

I go camping over labor day every year at this one campground with 30 to 60 people. The campground holds at least 600 or so people. They concentrate on family entertainment that whole weekend. The most popular thing, well the most popular thing is the teen/pre-teen dance. The next most popular thing is the wagon rides. The kids and parents line up for the camp tractor to show up. It is pulling a wagon that 20 or so people can get on. To me that sounds a lot like what you were doing only on a slightly larger size. I see nothing wrong with what you did. As a matter of fact, I think I am jealous.

June 26, 2006 12:40 AM  
Blogger GAB said...

ok now I got jeremiah was a bull frog stuck in my head. lol But hey thanks for the compiment(sp?)I wish we still had that tractor cause it was truely fun and I could show my grands what we did for fun back then.....this summer I am teaching the oldest ones..Red light green light,statues,red rover,hopscotch and if I can remember how 4 square.

June 26, 2006 12:47 AM  
Blogger Brighton said...

What a wonderful childhood memory!

June 26, 2006 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home