Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Lemon Pineapple Cake

Around the office I work at it is custom that the person with a birthday brings in treats. Although this is a little early I thought I would give the cake a try that Manny left the recipe for. First here is her recipe.

The cake was interesting, a little different than I expected however. When I mixed the cake part of the batter almost did not fill the pan. I think it was just because the batter was pretty thick and I needed to encourage the batter to spread to all corners. This was my first sign of things to come.

I got the cake into the oven after preheating to a higher temperature than I was suppose to because my oven cooks on the cool side. Unfortunately it was a little to warm.

Next I went about making sure I was going to do the glaze properly and, truthfully, I was not in a big hurry with the cake being in the oven for an hour.

Per the recipe I put all the ingredients into a sauce pan but, it was a small sauce pan. The ingredients barely fit. How was I going to reduce the glaze? I did my best and made a real mess of the stove. I have my work cut out for me to clean that burner after work today. (I finished so late that I just needed to go straight to bed skipping most of the cleanup) Part way through reducing the glaze (and stirring continuously) the timer went off, the cake was done.

Of course while all this was going on the cake should have been checked and it never was. I pulled it shortly after the timer went off but the damage was already done. The cake was not burnt or anything but it was over done.

Anyway I finally finished reducing the glaze by about a 1/3 after a half hour or more of stirring and put it in the fridge to cool. After a little time passed I added the glaze on the cake and put coconut on most of the cake. I left a portion open since I know at least one or two people do not like coconut at work. I then covered the cake and stuck it in the fridge for the night. I just thought this kind of cake may benefit from that.

Here is a picture of the cake from this morning.



When I went to cut the cake at work I knew right away something was wrong. I had a sharp knife and yet the cake was way to stiff as it was being cut through. Trying it you could tell it was over cooked. Normally at work food items go pretty fast. Well this one is only about half gone. I predict I will either take a third of the cake home or leave it in the office fridge. I am sure it will go tomorrow.

Now I think this is a great cake if I had not overcooked it. I personally love lemon and the coconut goes great with lemon. The pineapple almost disapeared in the flavor. I just know this is a great right cake that everyone would love if only...

So what did I learn? First there is a slight typo. The lines that read

6 eggs1
1/2 c. sugar

should read

6 eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar

No problem, I caught that before starting.

I also learned that I need to use a medium sauce pan and I need to get right on making the claze cause it takes some time to reduce the glaze.

Keep an eye out on the cake to make sure it is not over cooked.

I need to figure out how much off my stove is. If I would have lowered it 5 degrees it may have been just right.

So this is the first cake I made that did not turn out real well but it was all my fault. I will be revisiting this cake again sometime soon and then everyone will love it, I can just tell.

Thank you Manny.

Egg whites are good for a lot of things - lemon meringue pie, angel food cake, and clogging up radiators. --MacGyver

11 Comments:
Blogger Brighton said...

Me and baking don't mix.
Baking in Colorado was a disaster too. Long story, lol.

June 29, 2006 2:45 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Brighton, at least in Colorado you have the altitude to blame even if you where not at a high altitude. It sure can mess with cooking times. Hey you got that kool-aide thing down, who needs anything else. LOL

I did that last year Denny when I made Chex Mix. I got about 6 of the 9 or so double batches I was doing and suddenly discovered I had left out the worcestershire sauce. What can you do?

June 29, 2006 4:18 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Oh Bryan! I'm sorry but I'm laughing here. Leave it to a man to put the ingredients into a too small pan and then continue instead of putting it into a larger saucepan.

The cake sounded appetizing until reading about cutting into it.

Thanks for leaving part of it without coconut. I hate it!

June 29, 2006 6:30 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

LOL thank you for a good laugh. Sorry Any ways I cook as bout as good as you do. In fact the grandkids dont get a home made cake I buy it. Its really cheaper that way. I always blamed my oven too...its off,its old,the timer doesnt work yada yada yada. So any ways HAPPY BIRTHDAY EARLY Im leaving tomorrow and not sure if I will be back sunday or monday.

June 29, 2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Oh sure, blame it all on me. Why not, I get blamed for everything. LOL

June 29, 2006 7:13 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Manny, I only mentioned one thing about you and I said it was fixed before I began. Other than that did you not notice the BIGGER IN BOLD part that said it was ALL MY FAULT. I know that.

That is a pretty darn good cake!

June 29, 2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger mkecurler said...

My mom used to make this for one of her friends. I was never a big fan of it. Then again, my mom made at least one pie and one cake every sunday when I was growing up!

June 29, 2006 11:35 PM  
Blogger wmy said...

Go ahead and ship me some of it...I'll be the judge of whether or not it was over done dammit! lol
Did you not have a bigger sauce pan??? lol and giggle giggle giggle again!!!

June 30, 2006 2:55 AM  
Blogger Crabby said...

Ah, c'mon, Barman. We both know Manny set you up. LOL! She's always doin stuff like that to me.

See? This is probably the real reason I catch Thanksgiving dinner on fire every year. (just the sweet potatoes) OO. Manny and I will take pics this year for your entertainment. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ha ha ha ha ha!

June 30, 2006 2:01 PM  
Blogger barman said...

To the few people that have mentioned it I hate to get two pans dirty but also I had added wet ingrediance into it and I would have lost stuff as you never can egt everything scrapped off the pan. Of course I lost more from it running over the small sauce pan. So go ahead and laugh.

June 30, 2006 3:57 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Sign I know some people really do not like coconut so I try to be thoughtfull when I can.

Gab, I like to bake but I do not do it very often these days. Usually I do much better. For a while my signature cake was a cherry chip pudding cake with vanilla frosting so I could die it various different colors for what ever I was making. That cake always turned out. Thank you for the wishes.

Wow Sabatkes, that sounds interesting. I think this cake is not for everyone. I love lemon and I like coconut so it does pretty god for me.

WMY, I have a day old piece that was left out I could send you but somehow I don't think you would be interested. Yes I had a bigger pan but see above. It was just me being stupid.

Crabby, I look forward to the pictures. By the way, I am not a big fan of sweet potatoes anyway so I think I could take it. Please don't catch the turkey or the stuffing on fire. If Manny set me up then she was one sneeky person ad I am impressed.

June 30, 2006 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home