Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, November 24, 2005

The day

Thanksgiving finally was here. Before heading off to my sisters it was time to finish the baking. A Macy’s parade later, a possible disaster averted and things cleaned up it was time to rush out the door and see if I could not make in just in time for dinner.

Turns out I was wrong about when I needed to be there so I was not only on time but also early. It was the beginning of some good luck. One can always use that.

For the most part dinner went real well and everyone had their fill. The families got along OK and the only casualty at dinner was the turkey. Poor Mr. Turkey, may he rest in piece.

We retired to the great room not really sure what to do. The TV was on and the channel selector was in the hands of my niece. If she had her way it would have been the Disney channel all the day. Well that was not to be. After a search I get the feeling a large roulette table was spun. Place your bets everyone. The wheel spun round and round, where it stops no one knows and as it came to a rest it stopped on ... red ... oh, my mean the Animal Planet. I knew this channel existed but I really had not watched it before. What was on but a beauty pageant for Miss dog?

Despite how stupid this was (mostly dumb talent, a silly evening wear competition, etc.) I guess most had fun. Some comments were made about how the outcome would end up based on how the typical beauty pageant goes. Our home dog was in the competition but she was not a shoe in by any means. The ugliest, oldest dog was doing pretty well pulling in the sympathy vote.

At least it was time to pick the final 5 and push on. The blonde dog made it. The black dog made it. Miss Michigan, the home dog, did not make it. The dog people must have felt sorry for made it.

A few more things including another talent competition and it was coming to a conclusion. I made a comment about if the winner was unable to fulfill her obligation the runner up ... yada, yada ... and sure enough, that was added. In the end an unsuspected on won. The sympathy vote came in runner up I believe.

Despite everything I guess most had fun. I do not like beauty pageants but I guess it was fun watching it be more or less made fun of.

Back to the kitchen for some desert, some talk, some coffee and the evening was over. Other than my brother and his wife not being able to be there because they were up north with her folks, the evening was a success. Now granted this is boring compared to most of what else I read out there but ... when you have holidays involved, boring can be a good thing.


"We thank God for our homes and our food and our safety in a new land. We thank God for the opportunity to create a new world for freedom and justice." -- A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home