Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

These are a Few of My Favorite Things


It is my favorite time of year ... again. Yes I have a lot of times of the year that I love. Being from a northern state I simply love the fall. There is something so comforting about the fall. That is also when College football begins which I really love. How could I not growing up in big ten country. Of course there is always the time when you see the first signs of spring poking through the winter. Ahhh! I used to love Major League Baseball opening day but I have never forgave them for the strike of '94. That brings us to NHL playoffs for Lord Stanley's cup.

I have been a fan of the Detroit Redwings it seems like forwever. Hailing from the Detroit area it is just something that gets in your blood. I love my team, even when they are strugling. I take it serious when someone picks on the boys. Now I am not a fanatic. You will not catch me down at the Joe tossing a squid on the ice. Now a hat, maybe, but I draw the line at that.

It is this time of year it gets so exciting. The last few weeks I have been watching the standings carefully. First they were going to the playoffs. Next they were top of their Division and Conference and finally they took the Presidents Cup and are guaranteed home ice advantage for as long as they last in the playoffs.




Of course there is a big problem at the same time. In another week or so I head to Kentucky to visit and to do the Derby Festival thing. This is always so much fun visiting my friends and just soaking up the great weather. The problem is Kentucky is Basketball Country. They don't even know how to spell Hockey. Try and watch a hockey game in a sports bar down there. I have never been that brave. Now don't get me wrong, there are some die hard fans down in Kentucky. I run into them from time to time when I wear my jersey as I go about doing my thing. Even my best friend's son is a big fan of the redwings. Still trying to follow the playoffs is just about impossible. I would follow it in the newspaper but the local news only carries about a 2 inch article about the playoffs if there is something really exciting going on. So I get no news that was and I need to rely on the Internet. Maybe that is part of the charm and challenge for me for this time of the year.

Well here is wishing my boys the best of luck this year in their run for Lord Stanley's Cup. I hope before long you will be hoisting the cup up as they take a victory lap around the stadium. Go Redwings.

Hey, Hey Hockeytown!


I believe this is yours. [holds up Sam's diary containing a record of their planned heists] It's an impressive read: bold, yet meticulous strategies. I love the one where you tried to figure out how to pinch the Stanley Cup. It's very... Canadian. --Foolproof
9 Comments:
Blogger SignGurl said...

I love hockey players. Does that count for anything?

April 19, 2006 9:04 PM  
Blogger Roxi said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... redwings..

April 20, 2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

Red Wings, Red Wings, Red Wings...........that's all I hear about from my son. Now I have to hear it from you too? Damn, y'all just give a Ranger fan a break, can ya?

April 20, 2006 1:04 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I think I see a pattern SG. The Mademe likes her Hockey playes too. Hummm. Maybe I am in the wrong line of work.

Roxi are you talking about hockey players too or just the yummy snacks? I suppose that could be both.

BTE, I probably will mention it one or two more times but that is it. I am not one to rub things in. Besides, I have seen the wings lose their first 4 games and be out of the playoffs. The less I rub things in, the less I get things rubbed in should they lose. Go Ranger ... just not as far as the Redwings!

April 20, 2006 1:42 PM  
Blogger Crabby said...

Do we have a hocky team that competes with yours? I must check before I cheer yours on. LOL!

For those who don't know...Ohio and Michigan....big, HUGE, football rivals.

April 20, 2006 3:02 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

I look fabulous in red, does that count?

April 20, 2006 3:14 PM  
Blogger mkecurler said...

Redwings are awesome, but deep down in my heart, I will always love the Bruins.

April 20, 2006 11:07 PM  
Blogger Roxi said...

both and both my dear dear friend..

so.. when are we gonna go to a game? ;) * wink wink* * nudge nudge*!!!!

hehhe.. If Dan and I get tickets I will so get a third for you!!

;)

April 21, 2006 10:39 AM  
Blogger John C. Goacher said...

Redwings? Hasbeens. There is a reason that hockey took a year off after the Tampa Bay Lightning won the Stanley Cup - and the strike was just a cover-up. No-one ever expected a Sunny-beach team to knock off those Northern wimps. Come on, bring it on. We might not have the Bhulin Wall this year, but we'll still give you a run for your money.

Take that!

April 27, 2006 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home