Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Welcoming Spring

On Crabcake's blog I made the comment that it would be another 2 to 3 weeks before we saw spring like she was seeing. Normally that would be true.

For the last 19 years I have been going down to visit my friends in Louisville, Kentucky during the Kentucky Derby time of year. Usually I leave on a Friday somewhere between April 23 and April 29 depending on the year, spend a little over a week visiting and enjoing the Derby Festival and return on a Monday. Typically there is a little bit of green but not much when I leave and then, in the 11 days I am gone, everything just blossoms. Well this year that has all changed.

This year I noticed my tulips were saying hello. No tulips yet but they are certainly letting me know they are there. Portions of my grass need to be cut even though I thatched it and that usually really stunts the grass for a little. Since I have no trees yet I looked at my neighbors house and her tree/shrub up front is somewhat bloomed and her trees in back all have nice buds on them. The same is true of the appartments across the street. If this keeps it up I will be seeing tulips before I head down to Kentucky on April 28. I can not believe this.

Now Michigan is a big state. It can easily take you 7 hours or more to go from the Southern most tip of Michigan to the Nothern most tip. I would not doubt that portions of our Upper Peninsula still has some snow on the ground but the majority of the population of Michigan is south of where I live so I think I am safe in saying ...

Spring has Sprung in Michigan

Now that I am most of the way recovered from my illness and the weather tossed us our first 70+ degree day and everything is greening up and I have a new camera to try out I think I will have a great time exploring spring. Of course the temperature will turn back to normal and spoil all the fun but I am so enjoying our little peek of spring.

So Crabby, I was wrong. Spring is here too. It sounds like Sign Gurl already tilled her beds so I think I need to go rent me one of the cute little tillers and do the same. I don't have the lovely soil she has as mine is largly sand based and I need to work to improve the soil but still it will be great. There might even be a small garden in my future this year.

I love this time of year!


Greetings, Cicely, on this most exceedingly beautiful spring morning. A morning swollen with new life, a morning on which, if I had the voice, I would let loose with song. It's hard to believe just a few short weeks ago we were eating our cornflakes in the wintry dark. Now, well it's still kind of dim our there, but I can see the golden glow of Apollo's chariot waiting in the wings, about to make its entrance. Winter's on the lam, no doubt. --Northern Exposure
7 Comments:
Blogger mkecurler said...

no yard work until monday!

April 12, 2006 3:35 PM  
Blogger Crabby said...

The one thing we cold winter folks share for sure is an unmatchable passion for spring!

once it hits, you just can't get enough. I was out all day yesterday and all day today. And I'll probably be out again tomorrow. I need to get a tiller too. Gonna be a booger of a job though.

April 12, 2006 6:01 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Sabatkes, that probably will be the case. Since I can not seem to shake this darn dry cough I am going to try and see the doctor tomorrow. I suspect he will say the same thing you did. Well that and bronchitis would be my guess.

Crabby, how could you not love spring when you need to put up with Winter. You really do appreciate it. Luckily I only have about 400 sq foot to churn up and it is sand based so it should be easy. Where I grew up the soil was clay based and it was a lot of work to work with.

April 12, 2006 7:26 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I'm alive! I've been enjoying the Spring weather too. I've got to take pictures of all my blooming flowers.

Glad you are feeling better!

April 13, 2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

Spring is showing it's face her in New York too. Today it's going to be in the low 70's and all next week the high 60's. That might just be enough to bring spring on full force, I hope. I hate the cold weather.

April 13, 2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger Roxi said...

youc an smell it in the air.. Its wonderful

April 13, 2006 4:21 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

I love the pictures Mr. B. Winter is arriving in Africa and you are celebrating blossoms... how the world turns.

April 14, 2006 6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home