Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, August 18, 2006

Back to School

That is right, I am going back to school. Well, actually it is not school but one of those condensed courses only in this case it is probably 2 condensed week long courses condensed into one week.

The instructor, who can make or break it by the way, does some lecture and then tosses you into hands on time to reinforce what you just learned. This is repeated time and time again as the chapters fly by and more and more stuff attempts to be stuffed into you brain. Long about Wednesday your brain is just swimming in all that you have learned and by Friday there is nothing left upstairs but mush. Well at least that is the way it works for me,

So what am I learning? Well hopefully lots of useful stuff. It is on the latest developer environment. They touch on data access and using XML. They also touch on writing WEB applications. Big red flag on that play. Most of what I have done has not been WEB applications and I will struggle big time on this part which is half of what we learn.

Anyway I am worried. I want to walk away from this with a lot more knowledge that I came into it with. Now I have been working in this newer language for almost a year. I started with it when it was still in beta so I have lots of experience. I have learned a lot about Visual Basic 2005 and Visual Studio 2005. I have been using XML for years for what I do but still... I am worried I will not be up to the challenge. And for the money you pay for these things that just is not acceptable.

So I think it is time to get ready. Maybe I should hit the back to school specials. Maybe some new clothes. Oh wait a minute, that is not the way I need to get ready. I first need to see if I can not do some quick study on WEB applications so I will not be so lost. I also need to make sure I get plenty of sleep and I do mean plenty of sleep. I need to make sure I get a proper breakfast and maybe bring along some healthy snacks to keep myself at peak condition. I also think it is time to hit the gym or at least get out and do some fast walking to get that blood pumping.

I know this is a boring post but boy I sure am worried about these condensed classes. I guess all I can do is put my best foot forward and go from there. I just hope I survive the boot camp. So if you see me drooling on myself next week, please just hand me a napkin and understand.


Thornton Melon: [after answering 27 parts from one question of the final exam] No more!... I feel like I just gave birth...
[beat]
Thornton Melon: ...to an accountant –Back to School
11 Comments:
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

Hats off to you Bryan, you're never too old to go to school or learn something new. You'll do fine.

August 18, 2006 8:43 AM  
Blogger Crabby said...

LOL! I don't think it's boring and I'm easily bored, so no worries there.

I think you'll do great. Bob has had to do many of these over the years and Jake did one also not long ago.

Now I would have problems. If they didn't offer up picture books, my A.D.D. would kick in after the first big word.

August 18, 2006 2:31 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I love training. I always love to learn new stuff. It's just way to much in such a short time is all. After a while ... ahhhhhh!!!!

August 18, 2006 4:11 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Relax! If you try and calm down, you will learn. I know you'll do well :)

August 18, 2006 4:42 PM  
Blogger indiansfan said...

Barman, you will do great!! It's a good thing that you are the one taking the course. My brain would be mush within about 15 minutes, not by the end of the week. Hell, it's mush by Friday and that's just working with stuff I know! Have a great weekend!!

August 19, 2006 12:41 AM  
Blogger Manny said...

Barman-Good luck to you. My head is starting to spin just reading your post about it. Crap! I haven't even started mine yet.

August 19, 2006 5:47 AM  
Blogger Frances D said...

It's not a boring post at all.
Can't wait to hear updates on how it's going.
Take care,
Frances

August 19, 2006 3:02 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

Bryan, I'm sure you'll be fine, it's normal to go through all this self doubt. I have the same thoughts when going for a new job.

Most of the time we don't appreciate just how much talent we do have. I'm sure you'll walk it, especially as you are such a keen student.

BTW, if you do buy a school uniform I want to see the pics. Good Luck! ;)

August 19, 2006 6:22 PM  
Blogger Brighton said...

So, will you be dressing in short pants, white shirt and tie?
Oh, and a book bag, knee socks and a cap...
Why do I suddenly want to hear AC/DC?

August 19, 2006 9:59 PM  
Blogger ohc said...

Hey! Great! I am glad it is all condensed. It is much better than the 3 year plan I am on, lol. You will learn new things and have fun too! Good for you!

August 19, 2006 10:40 PM  
Blogger barman said...

At this point I feel terrible. I think I have not been eating properly so I need to get that straightened out so I can do OK in the class.

I know I am going to struggle but all I can do is my best and take it home to try and catch up on what I do not get.

IndiansFan, it depends on which hald they teach first. If they teach the stuff I really do not know, I am sure my brain will be out to lunch by Wednesday.

Manny, I will get through somehow. You will do fine I am sure.

Thank you Frances. I will try and do that. It is only for a week but I am sure I can manage at least some small posts even if I am running out of time.

Suze, no school uniform but maybe I can work on one for halloween. That could be fun.

Brighton, that settles it. I need me a school uniform for halloween dress up. You did such a good job shopping for your kids I think I will need to ask for some help from you.

Ah but OHC, when I am done I will have picked up a few skills and hopefully more thirst for knowledge. When you are done you will have a degree and a lot more knowledge and skills than I will. I never did say this but good for you. You are one super person and you keep getting better every day.

August 20, 2006 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home