Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Monday, August 07, 2006

A Special Day

Today is special for several reasons. Can you think of what that might be?

Well that is not fair. Rather than make you think to hard lets begin by wishing Roxi Moon and happy 24th Birthday. I hope you do your birthday up proud tonight Roxi. I am sure the town will never be the same again. Oh and try and keep those clothes on.

Well now what to get your for this special occasion. Well lets start out with a cake but not just any cake. I think Roxi calls for something unique. So here is the cake I got you.


Now next we need to get you an outfit for the occasion. Now not knowing your size and not being a metrosexual like someone, I guess we will need to just settle for this outfit.


Now Halle Berry is not included but if you like I can inquire how much extra it would be.

I think we need to take care of the footwear next. I think these will do nicely.
I figure after you and Dan hit the bars and have a great time, you will need somewhere special to go. I hope this will work for you.



And finally, not knowing for sure what you will be drinking and since one can never have enough, how about some spending money. But of course we can't just do this the normal way. So how about this.


Now the rest is up to you to. Have fun you two.



Now the other reason today is special is it is time to vote. We are having primaries for non national offices tomorrow.

Now I have not felt like voting for years. There just never seems to be any candidates running that I want to vote for. Even when I do see someone I like, someone that I think might represent me well, that candidate loses. That is right, I vote for losers. Don't ever ask me to vote for you.


So why is today special for me? Well you see a long, long time ago in a land far, far away, I used to work for a research company. One of many things we did was do political work. We helped draft new district boundaries and plot them. We build large registered voter lists and generated phone lists, walk lists, etc. We also did exit polling in Michigan and I must say we were good. I remember many times knowing by 10:30 to 11:00 who was going to win. We knew which districts to poll, we knew how much to weight them. We knew where something unusual was happening and were able to expand our sample to correct for that. Yes we were good.

Now this was exciting in itself. I was involved back in the office with collection of data and cranking out results. I was more or less in command center which was fun. One year I was even at the television studio that had hired us feeding them numbers directly to their prompters. If you looked you could see me in the background when they were doing the local coverage for election night. That was also the night I got to speak with Mayor Coleman Young. Now I did not speak with him much but I was really impressed with how smart and how well connected he was.

I also loved being at the studio. You could see just how fake everything was. Just out of the view of the camera was lights, sets from many others shows, the lottery equipment, you name it. I have always been a sucker for this sort of thing.

Now what was best of all is the election party the company through. It was the best. They reserved several rooms and even had rooms if someone had a bit to much to drink. You would find sets everywhere. One or two of the rooms were reserved for fairly serious viewing of election returns and I believe more than a few cigars were always going. And then there was the main room that was were most people were. You could watch the returns, get drinks and even listen to some music.

Election nights will always be special to me. I always follow the returns now. I generally don't go out and monitor as many stations as I can. I stay up way to late and slowly watch the numbers change and finally see what is declared. This election should be interesting as they changed almost all of our voting systems. Hopefully everything goes well.

So now you know my little secret. I love election night. Not because there is someone I really want to see win but because but just for the memories of times gone by.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROXI!
19 Comments:
Blogger Brighton said...

Happy Birthday Roxi! ( I so have those boots btw...)

August 07, 2006 11:18 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Happy Birthday Roxi!!!

Barman can I have a sexy outfit and a tongue cake? LMAO

VOTE!!!!

August 08, 2006 4:32 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Brighton, I am sure you do and I bet they look hot on you.

Anything for you Manny. I head to the polls before work as soon as I check in here.

August 08, 2006 6:29 AM  
Blogger Crabby said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROXIE! HAVE FUCKIN GOOD TIME!

That's some cake you have there. LOL! But I want the hot tub with the view and maybe that wad of cash to hire a massuse...masuse? Ma.... massage guy.

Barman, I have always wanted to work in a TV station or on a movie set. I was in the audience once when I was a kid on a school field trip. It's very different from what you see on the screen at home.

Hey I know! Let's put two special days together and VOTE FOR ROXIE!!! WOOT!

August 08, 2006 7:33 AM  
Blogger Monogram Queen said...

Share some more memories Bryan, I like them! Happy Birthday Roxi even though I don't know you :)

August 08, 2006 9:07 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Wow! Roxi gets all the good stuff. Oh well, she deserves it. Happy Birthday, babe!

I love your admission about election night. Very cool.

August 08, 2006 12:08 PM  
Blogger MilkMaid said...

Hey, I'm following Crabbie, she said there was a party here!! WOOT!

Happy hats and presents to a fellow Lioness..grrrr!

August 08, 2006 12:35 PM  
Blogger Roxi said...

awwwwwwwwwwwww I feel sooooooooooooooo special!!!!

Happy birthday to me!!!!

woot woot!!!

August 08, 2006 4:13 PM  
Blogger Tumbleweed said...

Happy B-day Hot stuff! Have some serious fun. That means....barely legal...or not legal and don't get caught!

August 08, 2006 5:35 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

Many Happy Returns Roxy. Have a great time.

You'll have to count me out of these elections. We are about another 2 years away from making changes this country desperately needs.

However, when they do begin I'll be hooked.

August 08, 2006 6:21 PM  
Blogger indiansfan said...

OMG Barman! I thought it was Gene Simons B'day and I missed it!! Happy B'day Roxi!!
So, did you or did you not vote? You still need to vote. If you think you vote for the loser, then vote for the one you don't want! That will fix them. Plus you can let the winner know you helped by hexing the loser! That job really does sound like it would be exciting for someone that's really into politics. And now you have politicians running around you all the time! You are one lucky man!

August 08, 2006 9:32 PM  
Blogger barman said...

IndiansFan, yes I voted. I was there 30 minutes after the polls opened and I was voter number 12 but I voted. I try to vote for most elections even if my heart is not in it.

Actually now I see what a game politics is. A lot of us vs them mentatlity rather than what is best for the people they represent. It is interesting understanding it but also dissapointing.

August 08, 2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger mkecurler said...

You are such a great friend for Roxi!
Hope you are well. My Hubby sent you an email from our radio address.
take care- I'm on a much needed vacation.

August 10, 2006 1:40 AM  
Blogger Tamara said...

How cool.Can you plan my birthday next March?(smile) :-}

August 10, 2006 2:22 AM  
Blogger Crabby said...

Psssssst! Barman, it's Thursday now. Did ya know it?

August 10, 2006 2:45 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Sabatkes, sorry I have not replied but I have been busy and not feeling much like getting on the computer when I have a momemnt. I think I will finally get caught up tonight.

Oh good Tammi, lots of time to plan. So, March... What day in March?

Crabbs, I know. I have been outside doing yard work. I was suppose to get all this done on Saturday. It is now Thursday and I should finish tonight. I think I under estimated just a tad. I will put something else up, promise. Oh and I voted for 4 things that mattered and only one person, that one I could care less about, won. My streak continues. Need me to spread bad luck to someone?

August 10, 2006 3:10 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Tap Tap Tap

August 10, 2006 6:10 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

echo....echo....echo........

August 10, 2006 9:29 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I've got to concentrate... [his thoughts echo] concentrate... concentrate...

I've got to concentrate... concentrate... concentrate...

Hello?... hello... hello...

Echo... echo... echo...

Pinch hitting for Pedro Borbon... Manny Mota... Mota... Mota...

OK, I have been properly shamed.

August 10, 2006 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home