Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Sexercise

I was curious how effective various different exercises I might be able to do were. So I found a site that listed a lot of different exercises. You enter your weight and how long you did that activity. So I found a bunch of activites and entered 20 minutes for each exercise. Here is what was returned. Notice that this is in order from least amount of calories expended to most expended.

ActivityCalories burned
Weight lifting - general161
Volleyball - recreation161
Bicycling - leisure186
Water Aerobics186
Volleyball - competitive205
Walking 4 mph242
Stair Step Machine329
Stationary Bicycle - moderate329
Step Aerobics - low impact329
Racquetball casual329
Walking - up stairs378
Bicycling 12-14 mph409
Racquetball competitive471
Bicycling 14-16 mph496
Step Aerobics - high impact496
Stationary Bicycle - vigorous533
Elliptical trainer533
Total Calories Burned5,772

You know the interesting thing is I purchased a Polar Heart Rate Monitor about 2 years ago. I had noticed that I expended a fair amount more calories doing the elliptical than doing the treadmill. This kind of supports that. Of course I was walking on the treadmill, not running, and that makes a big difference.

I thought this was interesting and thought I would pass it along. I have not looked very much at the site I mentioned above, http://www.healthstatus.com/, but it looks like it might be an intereting site to share. Oh, I did toss in a couple of things just for the heck of it later on that did not make this list.

Sleeping for 20 minutes .......43
Sex - Forplay ......................68 (shouldn't this have been 69?)
Sex - Intercourse ..............198 (that is no fun ... the number that is, not that activity)


And we also have a jacuzzi and sauna, but old people shouldnt use the sauna because it raises the heart rate, and gives everyone else the willies! --8 Simple Rules ... For Dating My Teenage Daughter
9 Comments:
Blogger Crabby said...

Have you been monitoring your heart daily as you exercise? I have and I noticed my heart rate is dropping now. When I first started I was shocked at how high my heart rate was jumping early on in my workout. I must have been getting more out of shape than I knew. It really is dangerous to your health to become too sedate.

Also, walking IMO, is much better than running. Running can really screw up your joints over time.

I am in awe of you for doing that elliptical. I hate those blasted things!. The elliptical is my nemisis. Makes my legs hurt like a booger.

January 04, 2007 7:57 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Crabbs, I am sudo tracking my resting heart rate. I need to start to do that and checking recovery time. I see an improvement but I am not sure if it is imagined. I just checked my resting pulse and it was about 60. I have not seen it that low in a while.

I agree about the running especially in my case being so over weight. My doctor told me a few years ago "we don't need to be running anymore." Funny, I have never seen him along for a workout. He said that because of my age and probably my weight. It is hard on the joints. Walking, even at a fast pace is so much better. Or the elliptical which is pretty much no impact.

That is so funny about the elliptical. You either hate it or love it. I love them. Well except for last night/this morning. I am starting to feel the muscles in my biceps. They are screaming what are you doing to me. Good thing I am going at this at a light pace. Since this is day 4 I would imagine in another day or two it will get better and I will be all set.

January 04, 2007 8:12 AM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

Congratulations on the weight loss. I concur about the running. When I lost the weight, I was running five miles a day around town. It was the joints that eventually bothered me, it was my feet. The podiatrist told me it was my shoes and my neighbor said it was the slant to the streets. Street are slanted to the curbs so running on them makes your foot twist with each step. I had to stop running then and that was when the weight started coming back on.

Thanks for the calorie count for sex. I'm going to show this to Lori, because I could loose weight myself.

Keep up the good work!

January 04, 2007 1:56 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I'm so proud of you for putting your goals down. We need to hold each other accountable now.

January 04, 2007 5:09 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I agree Sign. Right now I am still a little weak willed but I am building up a head of steam. I have already found myself thinking I do not want to eat this or that because I need to do well because of Lara and you. You two have already provided me with strength that you do not know about.

I know I will not lose weight like you will once things really get going but that is fine. I just want to get started. So far I am off to a great start. Soon I will be all set on this new way of eating and it will be hard to shake me from it. I am using the one site you mentioned to me to track things and there are things I like about it but also things that are really missing for me. So far the food thing has been great.

Anyway I probably will not mention the weight but I figure it will not hurt to mention the goal. It will help keep me honest.

Thanks for your support. It really does mean a lot.

January 04, 2007 5:53 PM  
Blogger S said...

Hey Barman! Youve lost 21 pounds, that rocks buddy! I knew you could do it, and I am here to tell you, Id rather be hungry than gain taht weight back. Its so worth it!
Congrats! Will be back Sunday...my HNT will probably be a sleeping post! LOL
Take care!

January 04, 2007 11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't you see the episode of Oprah where the woman lost all kinds of weight just by having a lot of sex? Great idea!

January 05, 2007 10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep going hun your doing great!

January 05, 2007 5:02 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

21 pounds????????????? OMG!!!!!!!!!! How did I miss this before? That is unbelievable! *clapping hands*

January 05, 2007 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home