Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, September 20, 2007

55Flash Fiction Friday

Here I sit
Staring at the clock all afternoon
Now only minutes from time to go home
It has been such a long day

I have a thousand things to do when I get home
If the clock would only hurry up

Just then the boss walks in
Quitting time is now a distant memory


I sure wish this was fiction but not this week. I just never know what my hours will be this month. Oh well, not getting much accomplished. Not getting to visit many of my friends out here but hey, I am just happy to have a job.


The other day I saw a radio station set up on a lawn somewhere just broadcasting away. They were irreverent as all could be. As I walked past them I got a big smile. They name of the program was The Huge Show. The table they were broadcasting from had a skirt on it that had the word HUGE repeated over and over again. What made me smile is the one corner of the table said HUGE HUG since the E rapped around the table and you could not see it. Well I thought it was funny.


When I look something up I need to on the Internet I need to pay more attention to what I am reading. Here is what I mean. I was looking for a sander. I decided that the 5" variable speed random orbital sander Home Depot had looked like it would work well for me. I showed up at the store only to find a display model only. I went home and looked it up and there it was... ONLINE ONLY. How did I miss that? OK, so I shifted and went over to Lowe's looking for a sander. Their prices were more than I cared to pay plus I was not familiar with the brands. So I went home and had no idea what I was going to do. Then it hit me, I have a Sears near by. I not only found a sander I liked but it was on sale. So I looked up my store hours and, this morning before I started work, I went to the store. There were only 2 cars in the lot and the store was closed. But the Internet said it opened at 8:00. Turns out it said the automotive center opened at 8:00 but the store opened at 9:00. Yep, I need to start paying closer attention.


I have to ask this. It probably will not fly. I just heard a little bit about the "Jena 6." I finally read an article that seems to try and report the facts, not color them. OK, it seems to me the 6 black students should be FAIRLY PROSECUTED. They attacked a white. It should not matter that it was a white student. It should just matter they attacked a someone. Prosecute them, don't turn them into hero's which it seems like what is happening now. As to the various white students involved. Don't look the other way, prosecute them too. I am not sure what the charge is for stringing up the hanging nooses (it seems like it should be some sort of hate crime) but get it sorted out and prosecute them. They are guilty too. So are some other white students involved in this whole mess. It just floors me that this sort of thing happens. Yes I know some of it happens like that all over the place but I had no idea it was so lopsided, so very much demonstrating racism is alive and well. I guess I had no idea.


There, something for everyone. You can ignore what you don't want to read about or type about. If you have not given a 55Flash Fiction Friday before, give it a try. It is not that hard. Put together a small story in 55 words. Have a plot and at least one character and there you are, your first 55. Be sure to tell Suzy if you do post a 55. You can find a link to here on my side bar (look for the carrot next to her name) or click on the 55Flash Fiction Friday badge. It is addictive.

Labels:

17 Comments:
Blogger S said...

OK OK no! Now about that wrapped around the table thing.

Once, Mr Ratburn had this god awful job of finding ...

I wanna be first..brb

September 21, 2007 2:16 AM  
Blogger S said...

HEH!
Ok...
...of finding host homes for Japanese exchange students and believe it or not, the best way he found interested families was to set up a table outside of a grocery store in a good neighborhood.
So the rat sets up the sign with the HOST FAMILIES NEEDED sign taped to the square table.
So all goes well til this guy comes out and he's lookin at our sign scratching his chin...and he walks over and says...slowly..."Lies...needed?"

And of course we had no idea...im laughing now to this day...that on one side of the table it said HOST FAMI and on the other it said LIES NEEDED.

ok so when we figured that out we about all fell over laughing and it STILL makes me laugh!

Thanks for playing Bryan!

September 21, 2007 2:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think that I shall leave the 55Flash Fiction Fridays up to Alex, the magnificent feline blogger to be.

September 21, 2007 5:11 AM  
Blogger G-Man said...

I've watched Many a clock in my day son!
Good Job!
Have a great week-end and ....Go Blue!!

September 21, 2007 7:08 AM  
Blogger Mike Minzes said...

Nice 55!

September 21, 2007 7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice 55 but poor ending(for you)lol
I hope you are doing well and not worrying yourself into stress, keep us posted eh?

Bryan I have been following this story for several weeks now and have read as much verified info as I can.
It seems there was a tree by the school, last year 3 white students hung 3 nooses from the tree after a black student or students sat under the tree.
The 3 were caught but only given 3 days suspension, keep in mind this is a Federal Crime, a felony and no further charges were given out.
Yes, the black students were guilty of beating up the white student and they should be punished but the prosecutor wanted to throw the book at them, charged them with ATTEMPTED MURDER for a schoolyard fight and charge them as adults which would've sent them to prison for some years.
It appears the prosecutor is going after these kids more severely because of their race.
This is the kind of thing that scares me when people in a position of power can use their silent racism to do their evil deeds.
I'm glad the NAACP went down there and brought it to national attention.
This is an injustice and needs to be brought to light.
I hope there is so much attention the prosecutor loses his job, he should be ashamed.
My word....
tc

September 21, 2007 7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh I forgot, the kid who was hurt went to school with a shotgun and was finally expelled...geez I wonder if mr prosecutor's going to charge him with attempted murder.

September 21, 2007 11:13 AM  
Blogger lime said...

ack, sorry to hear work is such a drag buyt yes, good thing you have a job. lots of folks don't.

September 21, 2007 11:41 AM  
Blogger Cha Cha said...

Hiya, Barman!

I have a problem when I am working with the clock.

You see the clock where I worked...

it NEVER seemed to move.

I would look at it SO often that it just never, ever moved.

But, between the times that I would look at it, it would seem like an eternity.

However, it usually was only about thirty seconds.

This is probably why I do not wear a watch.

Cos, you know, cool kids never have the time.

But, I could always look on my cell phone.

I hope all is well with you, Bryan.

And as Mr. Cat says...keep us posted.

xo

September 21, 2007 11:43 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Yes Bryan, we have a lot to be thankful for, against all odds.

Wishing you luck & hope you enjoy doing what you do

Great 55!

September 21, 2007 12:07 PM  
Blogger Flash said...

Man, your 55 described yesterday to the T.

and I'm with you for the Jena6 thing. If they killed a kid, they should be prosecuted.

seems like Sharpton had nothing better to bitch about.

September 21, 2007 12:11 PM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

Bryan I am just HUGELY impressed that even working as hard as you are you still squeeze in the time to give us one of your great 55's!
That's cause you rock!
Love ya' huge!

September 21, 2007 1:23 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Your 55 described this whole week for me! BRAVO!

September 21, 2007 6:03 PM  
Blogger Toadee said...

sadly so true barman

September 21, 2007 6:39 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

I like the huge hug even if they didnt mean it to be that way. Sorry you gotta work so much but like you said at least you have a job still. Have a great weekend.(if ya getta chance to swing by and get a laugh well I hope anyways)

September 21, 2007 7:09 PM  
Blogger snowelf said...

Hey Bryan! It's always so nice to stop by your blog.

I'm so sorry to hear about your sander!! Isn't that frustrating!?

Loved your 55!! At least it's the weekend now!! ;D

--snow

September 22, 2007 1:51 PM  
Blogger Rick Rockhill said...

good 55...sorry it took me until saturday to read it!

September 22, 2007 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home