Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, February 07, 2008

55Flash Fiction Friday

The game was tight.
Acing serves was not enough.
You needed speed,
a good backhand,
ability to turn on a dime,
dive for missed balls,
All this and save enough energy
to go the distance
and finish the game
a winner.

In for the kill
you smash the racquetball
and hit your sister
you lose.



OK, this was not fiction. When I was younger I loved to play racquetball. I was decent at it once I had been playing for a few weeks but I still had my problems. My worst problem was I had a terribly weak backhand. If you placed the ball right down the left wall I would miss more often than not. To counter this I had this killer serve that almost no one could return. I later discovered, since I hit three walls with the ball, it was illegal. Still I did well other than that. Of course it I were charging after the ball watch out, I may not be able to stop. I hurts running into the wall at full speed.

I usually played with my one friend Don. We were fairly evenly matched. It was always a good workout. But there was one thing about Don. When he hocked up with a new girlfriend I would not see him again until they broke up.

One such time I talked my Sister to come play a game of racquetball. All and all things went pretty good. I am not really sure who was winning but the one thing I do remember... the buzzer sounded and our hour was up but the ball was still in play. My Sister was in front of me and I decided to SMASH the ball. I hit it as hard as I could which would have been OK expect I smashed it right into the back of my Sisters neck. The was not my intention at all but, needless to say I still am reminded from time to time about the one game.

I sure miss racquetball! Anyone want to play a game with me?

If you would like to try a 55Flash Fiction, they really are not that hard to do. Some people really are such wonderful writers. Why don’t you click the badge on the side bar for a little explanation of what a 55 is all about. Also be sure to visit the others that play to see how it is done. You can find out who played by visiting Susie’s place. Also if you played be sure to let Susie know. You can find a link to here blog on my side bar. Look for the carrot next to Susies the Boss.

Labels:

14 Comments:
Blogger S said...

LOL The only time I ever played la crosse, I whacked gary so hard with the ball in the breadbasket, that he nearly passed out!

I dont do sports!

February 08, 2008 12:00 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

This is why I don't do sports! LOL

Great 55. Mine's up too.

February 08, 2008 4:15 AM  
Blogger Queenie said...

I'll pass if you don't mind! Great 55 as always.

February 08, 2008 8:43 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Susie, I attempt sports but these days I don't do sports either.

Akelamalu, I promise to aim better, honest!

Queenie, that was then, this is now. Now I would probably miss the racquetball and throw the racquet at you by accident. As long as you are not right next to me you are safe.

February 08, 2008 10:16 AM  
Blogger jillie said...

Oh man, anything that involves running, keep me out of it! LOL...I did play a little bit in high school. I haven't played since. It is fun to watch however ;o)

I am sure your sister never fails to remind you...lol! Stories like that are always fun to remember. Kind of like the time when my mom got nailed in the head by a golf club from my step dad. It hurt like hell I am sure but we sure do laugh about it now...LMAO!!

Have a great wknd Bryan!!

;o)

February 08, 2008 3:15 PM  
Blogger lime said...

i'll pass thanks. i played only one time and i caught a ball in the face.

February 08, 2008 4:18 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Jillie, for some reason I had you in mind when I posted this. It's OK, I played back in my 20s. Now I probably would walk after the ball, mostly to pick it up when I missed it. Isn't if funny how we can laugh at things after a while that was anything but funny at the time.

Oh Lime, not you too. How about a nice game of jacks?

February 08, 2008 7:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are reminded of that game by your sister, I assume.

February 08, 2008 9:58 PM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

Bryan I will pass on that one!
But I love basketball if you are interested!

February 08, 2008 10:25 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

I've never played the game myself....but I was wondering which is worse...getting hi in the neck by ball or getting hit in head with hammer? yes that's right! by brother hit me in the head with a hammer. What is it with brothers hitting their sister in the head?

February 08, 2008 11:56 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Yes Nick, my Sister seems to have a great memory about that. At least she is still talking to me.

Little Wing we could try basketball but I have always been terrible at that. If you want to be amused ... your on!

GAB, my sister deserved it, honest! Well actually, no she didn't. I felt so bad. I think I am going with the hammer to the head... much worse.

February 09, 2008 1:22 AM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Bryan, 3 walls is only illegal on the serve.
I played paddleball, then racquetball for years.
Your 55 brought back great memories of my athletic days..
...I know you nailed your sister on purpose!
hahahahaha....G

February 09, 2008 9:51 AM  
Blogger barman said...

G-man, it as my serve. I would hit the right wall, than the back wall and finally the right wall. By the time it did all that it looked like it was going to hit off the back wall and instead it just went straight across. Of course hitting that third wall made it illegal. Darn that was an awesome serve. And as to hitting her on purpose ... no comment!

February 09, 2008 9:59 AM  
Blogger Cha Cha said...

Did your comment thingie change? It comes up differently know when I click on it....but that could just be my awkwardness.

Anyhow, cool 55.

I like ones that have to do with balls.

Hang in there, Bryan.

February 09, 2008 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home