Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, September 26, 2008

55Flash Fiction Friday

You have been practicing hard
You’re ready for your solo performance
Your reed is prepped
you’re ready to go

The orchestra strikes up the tune
it is time for your solo

Your first note is a huge clarinet squawk
You are so embarrassed

And then you wake up from your nightmare
It’s just a dream



I was in high school band for 4 years, my sister was in for longer. One of the things I remember from those days was the different times, for what ever reason, her reed was not wet enough and she would just squawk away. Luckily this was usually at home and not while performing. Still memories of the band are there to stay.

Labels:

9 Comments:
Blogger Akelamalu said...

Oh those sort of dreams make you wake up sweating!!! You captured the feeling very well.

September 26, 2008 11:44 AM  
Blogger lime said...

good one! i remember when my son was little and not very happy to be at his sister's concert. he sat in his chair moping. at the end of the first number a lone trumpeter let out a horribly off key honk. i leaned over to my son and whispered in a deadpan, "horn fat." he cracked up and enjoyed the rest of the concert.

September 26, 2008 1:44 PM  
Blogger lime said...

ack that should have said "horn fart"

September 26, 2008 1:44 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Akelamalu I really hate those kind of dreams. I usually do not remember dreams but I had one in the past week I remember. I opened a letter from the people that I have my home mortgage with and it said I was being handed off to some other company. The reason it said was medical. Very strange. It probably happened becuase my mortgage people were shopping around for someone to buy their company. Now I worry this was not a dream. Yikes.

Oh Lime, I do wondered what a "horn fat" was. I thought I had lost it. Why didn't I know that term. Then I saw the next line. Ah, very funny. Good for you. You turned around the situation. To funny.

September 26, 2008 4:39 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Gosh! that IS indeed a nightmare!!

September 26, 2008 6:27 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Thats like standing in a bank line in your underwear..which i've done BTW...Thanks for the cute 55, And have a Great Week-End...G

September 26, 2008 11:14 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

cute 55, bryan...kind of like mine this wk. my oldest daughter is actually in beginning band playing drums this year. she tried violin last yr but got frustrated w the 2nd half of the finger placements lol

September 27, 2008 1:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

[:-)

So glad it was a dream, Bryan!

September 27, 2008 9:29 PM  
Blogger S said...

Yes you need to eat a hard boiled egg....or 50.


I never took band. I cannot play a damn thing except for twinkle twinkle little star (which is also the ABC song so that makes two in my repertoire!)

September 28, 2008 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home