Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Monday, January 26, 2009

Friday, What a Nice Day

Friday was fun. Every have one of those days where everything goes right? Well Friday was almost that good. The day time was just like any other day. I went to work and was looking forward to the weekend. So far, nothing special.

After work I bolted out to head to the Absolute Art Gallery to talk to them about framing my photo. Now I took this picture a little over two years ago of a cheerleader at an MSU Women’s basketball game. When I looked at the photo it just spoke to me, I knew I had to do something with it. I took the photo to a local printer and they worked with me to print a 12x18. After getting discouraged looking at framing options online I just let it sit for a while.

Well Friday I took that photo in the gallery. I had an idea of what I wanted and they listened and basically liked what I was looking for only with a little twist. Of course one of the things that really did not hurt is they kept telling me how much they loved my photo and how they thought I could sell prints of it, etc. Now I know, you have someone you are going to do some work for so stroke their ego a little but ... well it felt good. I think they were being sincere because to tell you they truth the photo really did stand out in my eye as well.

Anyway they right away headed the conservatory/archival route. I knew that would bump the price up a lot but I had already decided I should go that way. With me planning on hanging the picture in the half underground, half above basement in the family room or the third bedroom I knew the added moisture might be a problem. Going the more expensive route would help out with that problem.

They came back out after being in the back room for a little while and came out with the mating and frame that seemed to make sense to me. Then they sprung the surprise on me. They put down a 8 ply mat for the top mat. Oh my, did that look unbelievable. Now that is at least double what you might normally see. The result, when they cut the mat on a 45 angle you really get a big 3D affect. Not only will this look good but I think it will draw the eye into the photo. The good news, that only added about $10 to the cost so not to bad.

I had decided I was just going to talk to them and then make up my mind and do the job at some point in the future. I also had two price points. The lower one was what I expected was the minimum this would cost. The upper number was the cutoff at which I would not frame this print. They fell in the middle. I wish it was cheaper but I will survive. Now the tough part, I have to wait up to 2 weeks to pick up the framed print.

Oh and by the way, now I am going to hang the print upstairs in my living room. Now I think I might need to check into sheers as there are times when the sun will hit the wall I plan to hang the print on and I want to cut down the affect of the sun some.

I then went out and saw the movie Bedtime Stories and despite some people really cutting it down, I enjoyed it. I knew I was getting involved in an Adam Sandler movie. I knew it would not be some epic movie with deep meanings or anything but ... I really did enjoy it.

When I arrived at the theater I went to get some popcorn and something to drink. I set my money down on the counter and, yuck, the counter was all wet. So I grabbed a few napkins and sopped up at least part of the dampness. In retrospect I should have just asked them if they had a rag or something. Anyway the people behind the counter made the comment I was a regular now. Something about that just kind of hit me right. By the way, the reason I am a regular is I bought a season pass. I can go see one movie a week for just under $1 each.

Anyway afterwards I talked to the owner and mentioned I thought the sound was better from last year and wondered if they had improved it. He said they just had turned the sound up. Then we just got out talking about different things and one thing that really got me smiling... This is a little Mom and Pop operation. I like to give my business to the smaller more unique businesses. Anyway what made me smile is I found out one of the two major movie houses in the area has been helping them out. They needed a new part and since Celebration Cinema had converted to all digital they happened to have some parts available that the could use. They gave it to them for free. They also have helped them out consulting too. Now I know this theater is not real competition to Celebration Cinema but still. Real big smile on my face.

So there you have it, I really enjoyed the end to my Friday. The weekend was not as nice but I still managed to get things done.

I hope you had a great weekend.
5 Comments:
Blogger snowelf said...

I agree--I love helping out independent businesses. I and I know what you mean about bedtime Stories--I expect it to be cute and fun--I'm not looking for a cinematic masterpiece in it--just something the chilis and I will enjoy. And what a fabulous day! I'm so excited for you finally getting that picture framed! I have two of them I need to do for my room that are just hanging around in limbo right now. :)

--snow

January 26, 2009 8:13 AM  
Blogger lime said...

i'm all about the mom and pop businesses. i'm glad to hear the big chains have been helpful to them though.

say, did you get the interview questions i sent you? when might i see your interview up?

January 26, 2009 11:05 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Snow it was a long time comming and it will look so nice. The people were wonderful to deal with. Of course the downside, I took my car in for a repair and it came to a lot more than planned. YIKES. I am going to be eating ceral for dinner ...

Lime I ansered you on your blog. I did get it and planed to anwer it over the weekend and post it Sunday but ... sorry, I forgot. I will do the fun survey tonight and post it for tomorrow.

January 26, 2009 3:28 PM  
Blogger grandrapids_jdk said...

What theatre do you go to that has season passes?

January 27, 2009 12:17 AM  
Blogger barman said...

The theater is a small one screen theater in Grand Ledge called Grand Ledge Sun. They have been doing seasonal passes for several years. The price dropped a little when the new owners took over. Still what a fun thing.

January 27, 2009 12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home