Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Some Randomness

Yesterday I was out shoveling my street. I guess I miss snow shoveling so much that I just needed to get my fix in.

In honesty we are expecting a minature thaw. It will only get above freezing for a little bit and will only last part of today and part of tomorrow but… If I do not clear the drain which is in front of my house than I will have all the melting water from a four lane road come sit in my driveway. Besides being a good neighbor I figure I will save myself a little grief too as we are expecting real cold temps on Saturday. Of course the upside, I could create an ice arena and maybe rent ice time. I know they used to have a serious shortage on ice time. Then I could probably get to be entertained as I watched all the activites at the foot of my drive…

I think I was better off just clearing the snow and ice so the water can drain.



Tonight I am going to a local gallary to see about getting a picture framed. Now this is a new experience for me. I have placed frames around photos before, you know we have 5x7 photo, get a 5x7 frame and be done with it. I even did 8x10 and, the humanity, 11x14… gasp. But I have never went the way of mats, let alone a double mat nor have I been concerned. Wait, I take that back. I did a nifty little double mat jobby doufer once that I hand cut the mats and boy does it show. It had pictures of my Brother in Law building his home. I know it is something that they enjoyed getting even with all the worts but I digress.

So I have been reading up on the process. It seems like I am being steared toward archival matboards since the photo will in the basement which means more moisture and more problems with acid. Of course that is 4 times more expensive. Ten we have glass rather than accrylic because it will be easier to clean even if you do not care after it all the time. I probably should have something to correct for glare but do not have to worry about UV since it will never be in direct sunlight. And it goes on and on. There is so much to learn and know. I could do this project myself but I suspect I am better off with a professional at least this time. Who knew this was so complicated?



I am excited. In a little while I am off to wash my car. The reason I am excited is it has been below freezing almost every day since mid December. If I washed the car I may or may not have had fun getting back in. Today it will be just above freezing and we are suppose to see sun. Between the two I AM WASHING MY CAR at luch. Whoo Hoo… I live such a boring life that this is a major event.
5 Comments:
Blogger snowelf said...

My poor car needs to be cleaned and washed sooooo bad. I'm so scared to do it for the same reason as you--I may never get the doors back open and then if I do I don't want to damage the seals...
Ah, winter woes. :P
Stay warm this weekend! I hear we're getting a wind chill advisory again.
Whoo.Hoo.
Is it Spring yet?

--snow

January 23, 2009 9:52 AM  
Blogger lime said...

i found out about all that archival stuff when i had my grandfather's painting framed properly. it's a precious piece to me though and so it was worth the expense to have it done well.

my car is filthy too but it's going to stay that way for now.

January 23, 2009 11:25 AM  
Blogger ell said...

doesn't seem to make sense to wash the car, since by the time you get home, it's a mess again.

yet another reason to hate winter....

January 23, 2009 1:17 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Snow it is under 60 days from spring. I am looking forward to groundhog day this year. I know Michigan has got a lot of snow this year and I believe Pensilvania where Phil is at has also got lots of snow. I wonder is Punxsutawney Phill will not be able to see his shadow because he will be snowed in. Doesn't that mean an early spring?

Lime this is only a photo I took and I could always reprint at a future date. It cost me under $20 for the print. The cheap person in me does not want to replrint in the future but the practicalist may just win out. But yes, something as special as what you had deserves the very best treatment.

Ell it does not make much sense to clean the car. Before I got back to work the one side was dirty. Later that night both sides were dirty. But in the end I did not have all that salt on it any more. That alone was nice.

January 23, 2009 3:14 PM  
Blogger S said...

Whatever you do, dont just stick it in frame without mat or it will stick to the glass forever.

I dont wash my car because the second I go down my dusty driveway its dirty again. I just make sure the major pterodactyl turds are removed before I go out in public.
:P

January 25, 2009 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home