Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, December 08, 2005

The sentinel


I was rudely awoken this morning. It was my always present, almost always silent sentinel, the weather radio. NOAA had issued a Winter Storm Warning as there was a possibility of 8 inches of snow on the way. Now my sentinel had woke up and, grabbing my attention with a warning tone, has shared with me the potential hazard on the way. One final blast of the plectron and the sentinel was once again silent, ever watching, ever waiting. I received one more warning this morning, this one being for a different portion of Michigan with a slightly different message.

Sounds like I need to make some adjustments to my radio. I need to narrow the areas that it reports to me about. Maybe I also need to narrow what it reports about, maybe not. Only time will tell for sure. Just the same I am now able to drift back to sleep in my warm bed with one less care in the knowledge that the sentinel has my back.

I got to thinking, wouldn't it be nice if we all had something like this in our lives. Something that we could adjust, something that could keep an eye out for us in some special way. Certainly everyone would have the bullshit monitor turned on as sometimes we seem to not know or just plain not care when that is present. Perhaps we could make adjustments to help us follow our diets or quit smoking on any number of other items. Or perhaps, just perhaps a weather monitor is nothing but a weather monitor, doing a valuable job, but nothing more.

I hope everyone had a little bit better nights rest than I. I think it is time to check out the old snow blower. They have made adjustments to the forcast now. They are only calling for 4 to 6 inches but still it is nice to have the option is available. HAPPY WINTER.


Oh the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we've no place to go
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
--Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
10 Comments:
Blogger barman said...

We have not had much snow to speak about but the other day I was clearing away the snow we just got and I noticed that someone from across the street had friends over and were having a fun little snow ball fight. Several direct hits too. It looked like fun... I must remember to stay out of range of those ladies.

December 08, 2005 9:49 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Bryan~according to our local weather man, we have had almost 10 inches of snow already! Hard to believe.

You know what I say about snow. BRING IT ON!

December 08, 2005 11:37 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Oh my gosh. I check the waather from NOAA and is says (if I understand it) that we have had 12.8 inches since July 1. They say we are 5 inches above normal at this point. I would not have believed it.

I thought Maine or Vermont or something else New England was the capitol. Dive Goddess, I am sure you guys will reclaim the title any day now. We are just enjoying the lime light for a few days.

December 08, 2005 2:41 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Hi RoxiMoon,

The modified Weather Radio could be fun but even just the regular radio works well for me.

We get tornados and bad thunder storms and I hated how the bad weather was on top of me or even passing me by before I knew what happened. Even though it is just a Radio Shack thing I still think it was money well spent but then I am a gadget kind of person anyway.

December 08, 2005 2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your idea about early warning systems for different aspects of our lives.
Good post Bryan..
Tc

December 08, 2005 7:10 PM  
Blogger LisaBinDaCity said...

We got snow coming to NYC tomorrow, (for the second time in a week!) I think it's gonna be a long, cold winter...

Hot chocolate anyone?

December 08, 2005 8:47 PM  
Blogger Zephyr said...

I don't mind 6-8 inches of some things. Snow isn't one of those things. ;)

I want spring! My garden is waiting for me! :)

December 08, 2005 9:49 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Yes please on the hot chocolate Lisa. Anyone want some little marshmallows?

December 08, 2005 10:08 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Lara, I am not sure I can think of 6 to 8 inches of anything that sounds good to me.

Can't wait for the spring either. This is not a good thing considering winter is not even officialy here yet.

December 08, 2005 10:11 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Using the BS meter on dates ... this thing could be a big hit. If they can do pin hole spy cams, I am sure we can get the meter personal sized.

December 10, 2005 12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home