Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Sunday, August 20, 2006

FEAR

Excerpt from A Charlie Brown Christmas

Lucy Van Pelt: Are you afraid of responsibility? If you are, then you have hypengyophobia.
Charlie Brown: I don't think that's quite it.
Lucy Van Pelt: How about cats? If you're afraid of cats, you have ailurophasia.
Charlie Brown: Well, sort of, but I'm not sure.
Lucy Van Pelt: Are you afraid of staircases? If you are, then you have climacaphobia. Maybe you have thalassophobia. This is fear of the ocean, or gephyrobia, which is the fear of crossing bridges. Or maybe you have pantophobia. Do you think you have pantophobia?
Charlie Brown: What's pantophobia?
Lucy Van Pelt: The fear of everything.
Charlie Brown: THAT'S IT.



First lets see what Webster has to say about fear:

Main Entry: fear
Pronunciation: 'fir
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English feren, from Old English f[AE]ran, from f[AE]r
transitive verb
1 archaic : FRIGHTEN
2 archaic : to feel fear in (oneself)
3 : to have a reverential awe of
4 : to be afraid of : expect with alarm
intransitive verb : to be afraid or apprehensive
- fearer noun


Here is a list of phobia’s that I found, The Phobia List

We have Necrophobia- Fear of death or dead things; Sexophobia- Fear of the opposite sex. (Heterophobia); Aichmophobia- Fear of needles or pointed objects; Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia- Fear of spiders; Chiraptophobia- Fear of being touched and the list goes on and on and on.

It is amazing the things we are afraid of. One person I used to work with had the fear of being touched. If you should ever touch him or even just get close to him he would spring up and out of there in a heart beat.

Another person I worked with had a fear of germs. We were mean to him. We were in a cubicle environment. The person on the other side of the wall from this unfortunate person started to fake sneezes. He did this many times. Now this was enough to set that person off period but it got much worse. They dipped their fingers in water and, on their next fake sneeze, they flicked their fingers toward the top of the wall. I think it took a couple attempts but you could tell when he was hit with a drop of water.



I myself have a fear of mice. I think it is because they are so fast and can go just about anywhere. The one time I had a mouse in an apartment I lived at I freaked. The first night after I saw the mouse I tucked a towel under the door
when I went to bed to keep the mouse from coming to visit in my sleep. The next day I set a trap with peanut butter and, before I knew it, the trap had caught the mouse. I was not big on emptying the trap so I just threw it away and set other traps which never did catch anything.

Spiders also worry me but just at first. Once I see them and know there are there I have no problem getting rid of them. It just is that initial surprise that I do not worry about.


I did not see anything for fear of dating but I have that for sure. When ever I do try and date someone my stomach goes into a not, and, well let’s just say it is not pretty.

I tried to see if there was a fear of CrabCakes but I could not find one. I get the feeling you may not want to get her upset with you. LOL


I guess I have a fear of confined areas but not to bad. Just please never make me take an MRI. I do not think I could survive that.

I also have several other minor things that bother me but there is my one big fear. Fear of heights. I am ridiculous. I have something on my house that need to be fixed. It involved me going up on a ladder to where me feet are about 10 feet off of the ground and working there. I just can not do it. Now if I had scaffolding I could cautiously do it but the ladder, no way.

I had something I used to do at the high school I graduated from. I put microphones on the basketball back board so I could record Band a Rama. Basically it is a show to show off the talents of the band, some individual members and filled in with lots of skits and marching, including marching doing various formations while we played various songs.

You should have seen me. You would not have wanted to be underneath me. I would get up into the back board support and try and get those microphones mounted. The sweat would just pour off of me. I would get the job done, get things tested then take the microphones down so they would not get stolen. It was torture.

Well one time I stopped at the bar and had a few rum and cokes. Now I was not drunk or anything but you should have seen me. I flew up into the backboard area, reached out to the open backboard and pulled it shut and quickly put up the microphones and got back down. I could not believe what a difference it made. Gee, maybe the next time I go to ask someone out on a date I need to have a few drinks first.

Oh by the way, another place this fear of heights comes in ... driving across the Mackinac bridge. The center has steel grates which you can see right through and the guard rail ... Ha, they call that a guard rail?



So if you ever see me white knuckled some time you will know what is going on. I hope you have your fears under better control that I seem to have.


Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself - Franklin D. Roosevelt; First Inaugural Address
12 Comments:
Blogger Manny said...

Oh Barman, Micky Mouse is lookin fur ya. tee hee.

Would ya like to visit Charlottes web with me?
ha ha

Will you please help me hang my star it the peak of my garage roof this Christmas?

OK I'm sorry I didn't mean to joke.

August 20, 2006 3:45 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Your to funny Manny. I wondered what you were talking about at first but then it hit me.

Big Mickey Mouse would not bother me. Anything smaller then a tarantula would be fine too. As to the peak, that is not that high and I coul hold on tight to the ladder. No problems.

Glad to hear the house guest is who I thought it would be. I was worried about him.

Thanks for stopping. Always great to see you.

August 20, 2006 3:57 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

What ladder?

Yea it's him. Not to worry now. I have great pics of him moving in yesterday and after he got is mac hooked up, but blogger won't let me download them. Keep an eye out for my nursery post. tee hee

August 20, 2006 4:54 PM  
Blogger CP said...

Roaches.

Scared to freakin' death of roaches. We aren't talking a little "eww, a bug!" kind of fear.

We are talking paralyzing practically heartstopping fear.

I have fainted before from the sight of one.

CP.

August 20, 2006 5:50 PM  
Blogger barman said...

CP, I have only seen roaches a hand full of times and I was not happpy to see them, that is for sure. I am just happy I do not live down south where they are much more plevelent.

Manny, nursery pics ... you are way to funny.

August 20, 2006 8:11 PM  
Blogger indiansfan said...

Barman, you are a trip. You would have hated my house last fall. I had a family of mice move in. I tried live traps but I think they kept finding there way back. So I ended up having to use poison. I couldn't use traps cuz the dogs and cats would get caught in them. Oh, and the cats were worthless. I trapped a mouse on time and none of them would grab it. Anyway, they didn't bother me but they got in everything, so they had to go! The spiders are welcome as long as they catch the flys that sneak in when the dogs go in and out. If they don't do their job, tho, they have to go. I do agree with you about the heights thing, but with me it's more a fear of the ladder than the heights. I absolutely hate climbing the ladder to clean out the gutters. Once I'm up there, I'm ok as long as it doesn't wiggle. Have a great Monday!

August 20, 2006 9:55 PM  
Blogger John C. Goacher said...

A few drinks is always a good idea before going out on a date, no matter how pretty she looks whilke sober. If she doesn't like you tipsy, then...

Also had a few spider moments today - went for a walk in a local park and found several of these guys hanging across the trail...

http://pelotes.jea.com/spiders.htm

Won't bite, but gives you a fright when you spot it.

I don't like any creepy-crawlies.
---------------------------------
Look, he's crawling up my wall
Black and hairy, very small
Now he's up above my head
Hanging by a little thread

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Now he's dropped on to the floor
Heading for the bedroom door
Maybe he's as scared as me
Where's he gone now, I can't see

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Creepy, crawly
Creepy, crawly
Creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly
Creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly
Creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly
Creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly

There he is wrapped in a ball
Doesn't seem to move at all
Perhaps he's dead, I'll just make sure
Pick this book up off the floor

Boris the spider
Boris the spider
-------------------------------

(The Who, thank you).
Creepy, crawly
Creepy, crawly
Creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly
Creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly
Creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly
Creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly

He's come to a sticky end
Don't think he will ever mend
Never more will he crawl 'round
He's embedded in the ground

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

August 21, 2006 12:24 AM  
Blogger GAB said...

Hey Barman....I too have a great fear of heights..funny thing though when I was a kid I was right up there on a roof with my dad(he was a carpenter)I dont like mice but no fear.I hate spiders..BUT snakes Oh god how I hate those. (fear more likely)my mom used to put a garden snake around her neck...used to scare the crap outta me. Oh and my movie was on yesterday...the song was by Paul and Linda McCartney. Done by Paul and the Eagles(to live and to let die)Have a good one.

August 21, 2006 2:20 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I hate heights too. It's a fear of what would happen if I fell.

The bridge is pretty scary. You always remember that woman in the Yugo that went over the edge.

August 21, 2006 6:57 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

Bryan, you fears appear to be based around rational thoughts. For example, heights because you could fall, mice may bit you.

But I had a friend who was frightened of cotton wool. She would cringe if you put any near her. She didn't like the feel of it and when you pulled it apart she would shiver.

August 22, 2006 5:07 AM  
Blogger Crabby said...

I'm horribly afraid of heights. Major bad ju ju.

Yanno, I kinda can't believe you're letting "me" know you're afraid of mice. I would never give me information like that. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ha ha ha ha ha!

August 22, 2006 2:40 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

I don't have any phobia's, but I do have a healthy respect for mice and snakes. I've been bitten by both and quite frankly I prefer the snake bite.

Mice are, as you say, fast little buggers and if you don't catch 'em just right they twist round and bite you. Their bites bloody well hurt and they pee constantly, so you always run the risk of blood poisoning. At this point you'll be asking why I have to catch mice by hand. Long story.

As for snakes, they have nice sharp teeth and usually let go after they strike so far less hassle.

August 22, 2006 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home