Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Monday, March 12, 2007

My Exciting Life

Today was an ordinary day. I was a little on the groggy side but other than that, business as usual. Lets fast forward through most of the day to get to the fun.

I was asked if they could take down my primary server at 4:30. A quick check with the two users I support confirmed that it would be OK if I was not able to properly support them for the remainder of the day. I wanted to take it further and leave for the day at 4:30 but no dice.

Just as I was about to pass along the okey dokey it happened. The light started to flash. Now any other light I would have been OK with but not that light.

flash
Flash
FLASH

and then the sirens kicked in. The emergency system was had been activated. Time to evacuate the building.

Time to transform from mild mannered Barman (OK, we know if is not true if your read yesterday post) into Head Monitor BARMAN! I leaped over my chair trying to quickly get to my teddy bear. Yes, I said teddy bear... got a problem with that? But as I leaped over the chair I caught my foot and came crashing on down to the floor. Silly Barman.

Once I got up I reached for my teddy bear. Watch it, I warned you...

Actually I do have a teddy bear that resides on my desk. I have had this same teddy bear on my desk for over 20 years now. It was from the previous job but that is not important now. What was important was what he was wearing. You see my near serves an important purpose. He wears my Head Monitor arm band as a head band.

One of my jobs that I volunteer at work is the monitor network for our building. I am another person are head monitors for our floor. It is our job to have the other floor monitors report to us if the floor is clear, if anyone refused to leave, or if there is a problem on our floor that they are aware of. We then report to the building manager what the situation was.

Well no matter how hard I tried I did not see anyone with their monitor arm bands on. So I ended up running around the half of the floor that I am responsible for and made sure it was clear and it was, almost. I also checked the men’s room and knocked on the women’s room, no answer. Sorry, there are some things I just will not do. There was one person left behind that was not leaving however. He was part of the cleaning crew and was washing the windows. I tried to get him to leave. He did not understand. I tried explain that there might be a fire and he needed to leave. Nothing. I tried to say that his life might be in danger and all I could get is I do not understand.

Now the people we hire to do the cleaning are either slower learning or often times foreign. What ever the reason he could not understand I was not going to force him to leave. I would simply report it to the manager.

Down, down, down I went.

around
Around
AROUND

I went down the stairs until I came across a lady in a wheel chair in the stairwell on the 9th floor. We are taught that people can survive for up to 4 hours in the stairwell so she should be OK but a monitor was suppose to stay with her. Now I thought about doing that but I needed to report the cleaner to the manager and also make sure that he was aware of this lady too so I needed to push on.

Down, down... tumble down. Actually I did not tumble but I could. It takes so long to get down the stairs. I came across one other person that was having troubles with the stairs but she was making her way down. There was also one other person but she was doing fine.

I cleared the stairwell and the building and reported what I knew to the building manager. Then I headed over to the designated spot our little 16 person group was suppose to gather at. Since we are a multi building unit I made sure that our security people were aware that we were evacuate and waited for the all clear.

Since the day was such a beautiful day and there was a little sun you just knew that we were going to be let back into the building fast and sure enough we were heading back in within a handful of minutes.

With only four elevators it took a little while to get back into the building but you know what, it felt good to actually have gone through this. It has been for ever since we had a drill. Now this was not a drill as something had over heated on 5 but still, it pointed out how much we are not ready for this. I sure hope we have an organizational meeting to talk about what happened. Heck, maybe I will get our floor together for a few minutes. If this had been real it would not have been pretty.

Well now you know my exciting point of the day. If anyone would like to have me come over and be your Head Monitor for a day just let me know.


I'm tired of being the hall monitor. I want to be the stoner who gets the art teacher knocked up. –The Drew Carey Show
12 Comments:
Blogger GAB said...

first

March 13, 2007 12:43 AM  
Blogger GAB said...

Wow you had an exciting day at work. Sounds like you did everything just right but others need a little work. Hope your day tomorrow will be better

March 13, 2007 12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did anybody go back and check on the wheelchair lady in the stairwell? she might still be there.lol
Good job Bryan.:)
tc

March 13, 2007 8:04 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

*raises hand* could you be my head monitor? We need a plan here at our house and were just talking about it last night.

I love the way you wrote this. I could just picture you running around making sure everything was copesetic.

March 13, 2007 9:21 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Cogratuations GAB. One thing about my posts, they are not that popular so you have a better chance of being first. Woo hoo.

Actually I did things wrong too. I need to review what I am suppose to do, we all need to. I am taking this serious, I hope others are too.

TC, you know I never thought about that. I would hope that someone went up there. She looked like a bright individual so I am sure she figured it out on her own eventually.

You know Sign when I was growing up we never had a plan. Looking at it now I think that was a big mistake. If there is a fire or some other emergency you just do not think clearly. It is best to know what you are doing ahead of time so it is automatic at least to know where to meet at. I am so glad we never needed to use that. You know I was only doing all that becuase I was not sure things had been done. Bad, I need to trust my monitors. I think I would have been comical watching. I am on my way over... see you soon. :)

March 13, 2007 10:11 AM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

sounds like things were pretty much under controll

March 13, 2007 4:34 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Things are going OK, a little slower than I like but OK. I just, even as I type, reviewed what I should have done and posted an emergency phone number on my board. There, I feel better. I am a little better prepared.

March 13, 2007 5:32 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Damn it! They never ask me if it's ok to take us down. Lucky for everyone, I was able to revise and resend a letter that was to be "mass mailed" yesterday. I had to do it last Friday...I was scheduled off that day, but went in anyway. They took our e mail and our T drive down without telling anyone. Bastards! They are so lucky I know a little bit bout' stuff.

March 13, 2007 6:04 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Oh yea, I was a hero that day. Woot!

March 13, 2007 6:05 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Manny, my Hero!

They were moving our server from one building to another so they could delay it if need be. I wish I could have gone home. Oh well. I made up for it by staying 3 hours over today.

March 13, 2007 8:42 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Barman,you got too many irons in the fire son!!

March 14, 2007 12:10 AM  
Blogger barman said...

g-man, is that like being 3 cards short of a full deck? There are some things I like to do. I think being a monitor is one of them. Maybe I should just give up work!!! :)

March 14, 2007 5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home