Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

On This day in History

Listening to a show I listen to every weekday morning I heard two things of interest that I figured I could remember.

4 years ago today Mr. Rogers died. Now while he was here I was not big into him. While for him it was a Wonderful day in the Neighborhood, for me I just did not understand him. That and I always figured there was no way a person could be like that for real.

Well I was wrong, he was that genuine. I saw a quote of his about his first time seeing TV at his parents house.

"I went into television because I hated it so. And I thought there was some way of using this fabulous instrument to be of nurture to those who would watch and listen."

He spent much of his time making the right choices. He worked for NBC but decided that commercial TV was not where children’s learning programs belonged as it was to reliant on advertisement and merchandising. Eventually he found his way to PBS.

I have a friend that personally knew Mr Rogers online and he was every bit as genuine there as well. The world lost a great man back four years ago today.



Back in 1922 on this very day something important happened. The US Supreme Court upheld the 19th amendment to the constitution guaranteeing Women the right to vote here in the United States. Being born in the late fifties I find this incredible that they had to earn the right to vote. That and also that blacks were ever slaves here in the United States and had even less rights then women but that is something entirely different. So today will come and go and not much will be made of if. I myself would have had no idea if I had not been listening to my morning show as I always do. You have come a long way baby...



Happy Tuesday.


I wouldn't bother visiting the neighborhood of make-believe today Mr. Rogers, I dare say you find it quite in ruins. –Family Guy
11 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many people don't know that mrRogers was a minister.
When my daughter was little we used to sit together and watch his show. His gentle spirit made it an easy show to watch with her.
I loved Henrietta Pussycat of course.
tc

February 27, 2007 8:31 AM  
Blogger wmy said...

I had no idea about today being the women's right to vote day!! I am not representing my womanhood very well huh?? Thanks for the info...Have a wonderful day...go hug a woman!

February 27, 2007 8:46 AM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

Mr Rogers was the most humble person that loved what he did. My kids grew up watching his program. They were always more calm around the house after watching his show than others that were out there.

I'm very thankful for my right to vote and happy that amendment passed!!!!

Thanks for the info this morning...I hope you have a great day.

February 27, 2007 8:49 AM  
Blogger barman said...

It figures TC, it figures. I know there is so much I did not know about him. Why I had sucha problem with him is beyound me. I watched Sesame Street once I was grown up. Sides he is much better then Barney any day!!!

WMY, what is important is that you (and everyone) exercise their right to vote. Things may not always turn out the way we want but at least we take part in shaping our lives.

Jan I am not suprised about the kids. Unlike most kids shows these days where there is fighting and everything he tought kids to be good and get along with your neighbor. He is missed.

February 27, 2007 10:37 AM  
Blogger Roxi said...

women rule!!!!!!!!!!!!

dan tried to tell mr that mr rodgers was a marien snipper

February 27, 2007 11:15 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Hell yah Lady Roxanne, hell yah! Oh man, Dan dissed Mr Rogers... Just see if Mr Rogers lets him into the land of make believe.

February 27, 2007 1:14 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I liked Eddie Murphy's Mr. Robinson better. Heh!

February 27, 2007 7:39 PM  
Blogger wmy said...

Hey there...guess what?? There was a vote today for a millage thingy for my kids school...and I marched my womanly ass right on down there and put my two cents in!!! I love you for reminding us about what happened on this day...like, love you in a sexy, sexy way!! lol

February 27, 2007 8:33 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Signgurl, I never saw that but what I just saw on the Internet looks like it would have been funny.

Good for you WMY. I checked to see if my area was holding elections today but they were not. I wondered because I had not heard anything about it but you never know. Now your making me blush.

February 27, 2007 8:46 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

Some interesting points there Bryan. I can't say I ever heard of Mr Rogers though, but he sounds like he was a nice guy.

February 28, 2007 2:57 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Suze, without having kids (as I assume you do not) and also that he is a North American icon I would imagine you would not know who he was. He was a very nice guy that devoted much of his life to educating children. There are not many people like him in this world.

February 28, 2007 6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home