Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, February 16, 2007

Now I are All Cultured

Continuing on my week of culture yesterday I attended the local Youth Symphony. SignGurl's oldest daughter play with the group. I tell you most of them are high school age, some are a little younger but they play better than any high school group I have ever seen. As a matter of fact I think I would rather see them then or local Symphony Orchestra.

Now that is not fair because I have never seen the professional group before. I am just going on the last time when I say a play by one of the professional groups in the area. Expectations were high and I ended up dissapointed. Yet when I go to any of a number of community groups I always walk away very happy. I guess again it is expectations. I expect to have a pleasant evening but I do not expect perfection. If I expected perfection maybe I would be dissapointed than too.

Anyway to show how much I enjoy them, I am not a string person. I was in band for 4 1/2 years. I am used to woodwind, brass, and percussion. I played the french horn and as a result I fell in love with the instrument. Not the way I played it but the way the instrument sounded in general. I also loved the Bassoon and the oboe. I think part of the reason is they are both hard instruments to play. If you do not know what you are doing they sound terrible. Otherwise they are simply beautiful. Anyway last night my second favorite song of the night was called Heilium. Heilium is performed by strings only. I think I have come a long ways and I think they have really helped me out with that. I think I heard maybe 2 or 3 little opps moments last night. I am talking little two and I think that is fantastic.

Anyway so as to balance myself out, I think I will be going to see a rodeo this weekend. It has been years since I have done that. I have always enjoyed it especially when they drag out "God Bless the USA" or "Mama's Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys". I love those songs.

Yea haw!

Edit: By the way, the Rodeo is MSU Spartan Stampede. The link has a few pictures and info about the Rodeo.



Rodeo Announcer: [voiceover] The pen is open and that's a mean-looking bronc. Our next contender is Miss Doralee Rhodes. Let's see how long it takes her to hogtie this sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot. Whoa. She's already got him. And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen, five seconds for Miss Doralee Rhodes. --Nine to Five
11 Comments:
Blogger Melodie Norman Haas said...

Oooo I am first commenter! I saw pics from the symphony bit on Sighgurls page. I always enjoy the symphony but there is something about seeing kids do it that makes it even better to me :)

Hope you enjoy the rodeo though of course you would need to come to one in the south to truly experience a rodeo ;)

February 16, 2007 4:46 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

The funny part about the symphony is that the kids only had 6 rehearsals with that music. Considering that, they did very well. I think the conductors wished they could have done better. C'est la vie!

Thank you so much for the pictures. They are so much better than anything I could have taken.

Where's the rodeo?

February 16, 2007 4:49 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Ameratis I always love seeing anything when I know someone in it. I plan on enjoying the rodeo.

Sign, thank you. I have something with my neice coming up with the next month and this gave me some experience with that lens for that too. So it was a win win as far as I am concerned not to mention the music. The rodeo is at the MSU pavilion. I think there is also one in Auburn Hills but the MSU one is just fine with me.

February 16, 2007 5:05 PM  
Blogger Roxi said...

Where are you going to see a rodeo??

Do you know how friggin jealous I am at this exact moment in time? I think you have no idea..

I am going to cry

February 16, 2007 6:16 PM  
Blogger wmy said...

You gotta love those kids who stick with something like band...saying that, my wonderful kid is in band!! hahaah and he is practicing for solo and ensemble...he is doing a solo...yep, he is awesome in my eyes!!

February 16, 2007 6:23 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Roxi, how about if I take cowboy and cowgirl pictures and send them your way.

MSU has a Rodeo this weekend. I think they are all collage students from different collages but I have been very impressed when I saw this before. From barrel racing to bull riding ... it's all good. You would so fit in with that hat of yours! Roxi without the hat, hawt... with the hat, smokin'.

February 16, 2007 7:26 PM  
Blogger barman said...

WMY, I like to see kids take band. I really think you get so much from it. My poor parents had to put up with me in band. I did not practice a lot until just before band camp and just before solo ensembles that were mandatory (part of or grade). I still loved band.

I keep hoping my niece will take up an instrument but it looks like she has cheer leading and ice skating in her future. I am very proud of her regardless what she does.

February 16, 2007 7:30 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Don't forget Kid Rock...I want to be a cowboy baby. Yes I like that song.

So you are saying, you are a blow hard? LOL Sorry, I just had to say that.

I didn't get to do band, but my pic would have been the sax.

Do you still play?

February 16, 2007 7:44 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I need to give Kid Rock more of a chance. I have not listened to much to him then I heard a special of his and I really liked what I heard and thought he was an interesting person. Then nothing. I need to check into him again.

Well I suppose if I was playing tuba I would be a real big blow hard. French horn just does not take as much. I futz around with my flute on occasion or pick at my keyboard which I love. Other than that, not to much.

I must admit however, I think I would love to spend some time over at Top Cat's lair. He has a sweet setup. I almost drooled when I saw it before.

February 16, 2007 7:58 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Sweet sweet barman.

February 16, 2007 8:07 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

Bryan, I like to play the horn too. Oh I know...I just couldn't resist. lol

February 18, 2007 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home