Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Does Anybody Really Know What Day it is?

As I was walking down the street one day
A man came up to me and asked me what the time was that was on my watch, yeah
And I said

Does anybody really know what time it is
Does anybody really care
If so I cant imagine why
Weve all got time enough to cry

And I was walking down the street one day
A pretty lady looked at me and said her diamond watch had stopped cold dead
And I said

Does anybody really know what time it is
Does anybody really care
If so I cant imagine why
Weve all got time enough to cry

And I was walking down the street one day
Being pushed and shoved by people trying to beat the clock, oh, no I just dont know
I dont know
And I said, yes I said

Background:
People runnin everywhere
Dont know where to go
Dont know where I am
Cant see past the next step
Dont have time to think past the last mile
Have no time to look around
Just run around, run around and think why

Does anybody really know what time it is
Does anybody really care
If so I cant imagine why
Weve all got time enough to die


Yesterday long about 7:00 am I suddenly became aware of the time. You see trash pickup in this neck of the woods is any time after 7:00 am although more typically it is around 7:10 to 7:15. It used to be after 1:00 in the afternoon but no, that had to change it.

I made a mad dash to gather things up and get the trash out. In the end I got the trash out by 7:12 but I knew nothing had come through since 7:10 so I was thinking I was in good shape as I walked back into the house.

Time passed and I headed into work but I noticed the trash had not been picked up. I do silly little things like always make sure the lid is fastened down on the trash. Once they come it is no longer fastened down. Anyway I was disappointed I had missed the pickup but I will live as I really do not have all that much trash and it is cold so I do not need to worry about it stinking while I wait for pickup next week. Still I was noticing something odd but it just was not clicking.

Actually things did not click until this morning when I woke up. What I was noticing was that no one had put out their trash. Now I know people do not always put stuff out every week but this was just plain weird. What clicked this morning was today was Thursday. Thursday is my trash pick up day, not Wednesday. It always has been since I moved in here almost 8 years ago. That is it, I am losing my mind.

Fast forward an hour. I am playing around on the Internet looking to see what I have missed and I check the time. It is 7:10 and I have not put the trash back out at the curb. Deja vu all over again. Now I was going to miss putting the trash out for real. Good news I was a little late but a few minutes ago as I was typing this I could hear them picking up the trash.

Simple things for simple minds I guess but I must admit I am bothered that I got this so wrong. How could I forget something as simple as when trash pickup day was? Oh well, I will survive.

Happy trash day or is that Happy Half Nekkid Thursday? Oh and by the way, the Chicago reference above... I just love Chicago and I guess if you substitute date for time it sort of fits.



Do you know what time it is? --Aqua Teen Hunger Force
16 Comments:
Blogger SignGurl said...

I can see you slowly losing your mind. Just kidding! I do stuff like that too.

February 08, 2007 5:49 PM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

Your not alone my friend. Ever since I retired, I don't even care what day of the week it is. Except for Fridays, that's the day Lori comes here.

At least I have an excuse, but what's your excuse for forgetting what day it is. ;-)

February 08, 2007 6:32 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Sign I am not so sure I am "slowly" losing my mind.

Tony, I think I did what any working person would do ... try to rush the work week. See I thought Wednesday was Thursday. So sue me. :)

February 08, 2007 7:22 PM  
Blogger SIMPLY ME said...

Oh my dear friend, you're getting old!
Tomorrow's my pickup, but we have to buy special yellow bags for the landfill, and tonight I forgot to buy them so my trash won't be going out this week........ guess i'm getting old too!

February 08, 2007 7:42 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I guess we are getting old but I guess having to wait a week is not to bad. It is when I come up to a red light and do not know if I should stop or go that I get real worried.

Oh by the way I have done that before sort of. Late at night I came up to a blinking red light and I treated it like a yield sign instead of stop sign. It was real late at night. Thank goodness or I might have caused an accident. By the way, that happened over 20 years ago.

February 08, 2007 9:54 PM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

We get trash picked up twice a week which is nice. Sometimes I just don't put anything out and wait for the second pickup.... But...I nearly always miss recycle pick up on thursdays and that makes me upset because our recycle bin is so small that there is no where for all the darn plastic bottles to go once it's full (thursday is the only recycle pick up day here)and falls all over the place by the time next week comes around.

February 09, 2007 7:01 AM  
Blogger barman said...

We do not get recycle pick up where I am now. I have to take it there and I have twice a week to do that. Of course there is the main company in the area, Granger, that has recycling open 6 or 7 days a week so I guess if I am not lazy I am all set.

February 09, 2007 8:00 AM  
Blogger crabby ghost said...

Ah, that stuff used to happen to me all the time and look what good shape I'm in.

February 09, 2007 8:35 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Oh, you don't live in the city proper do you? My city has recyclable pickup at the curb.

February 09, 2007 9:12 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

My Mom still sings that song all the time!

February 09, 2007 11:40 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

ours is picked up on monday morning so we just put ours out sunday night, Except sometimes we forget then its a mad scramble to get it out before they get here. And with our large family we need it picked up weekly!

February 10, 2007 9:33 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

That was actually one of my very favorite songs in my youth! And I guess it still could be considered such! Chicago was GREAT!!!

But Bryan ... hon... forgetting trash day is only the BEGINNING!!! Puhleeeze! Get over it! A few more years and forgetting trash day will be the "small stuff"! Age... it's dirty business I tell ya!

I'm just hangin' around waiting to see what ya do with "Broke" this week! I'll be back!

February 10, 2007 9:58 AM  
Blogger Brighton said...

Our trash days are Tuesdays and Fridays, I cannot tell you how many times I have run out to the front yard with trash in my nightgown. Embarrassing to say the least!

February 10, 2007 9:40 PM  
Blogger wmy said...

Hello hon,
You know what I hate?? Well, hate is a strong word...but, I highly DISLIKE the weeks where there is a holiday, and the trash pick up is a day later than it normally is...I ALWAYS FORGET!!!!!! arrrhhhgggghhghghghghgh...choke,,cough..hahgagagajddjdagagagaga...I tried to sound like a pirate there, and started to choke!! lol
Have a great weekend dear!

February 10, 2007 9:41 PM  
Blogger PowersTwinB said...

I was just looking for your Saturday Photo hunt pix,...maybe you thought it was Sunday? lol...missed it...

February 10, 2007 9:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Chicago was always one of my favorite bands. You have good taste, Bryan...

I obsess about my trash day too.
You're not alone...

Happy Monday!

February 12, 2007 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home