Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, January 26, 2007

No Way

I was out wandering around the Internet and ran into something I just can not believe. It was about a law in Texas and what happened to a teacher down there. This teacher wanted to get into coaching wrestling so he filmed girls wrestling intending to learn the sport from this. Right how he is suspended and they are investigating. The law that was violated was something that was intended to keep people from taking pictures of children in a non public setting but this is being stretched to make it apply here.

OK, first let me say I never even thought about this. I mean I could get in so much trouble over just taking some pictures. Just for the heck of it I went back over the pictures I took at MSU. Know I know this is not the same thing as everyone there is over 18 but still. So I looked at the basketball pictures, no problems there. The mascott, the group pictures I took, all looked good. So then I cracked open the cheerleader pictures, all 300 or so of them.

For the most part they were all inocent enough. Sure there were a few pictures where the female cheerleaders cheer briefs were showing. One or tow of those pictures I posted on the last post. No biggy I think. Most of the shots the skirts are all down and that is fine. There are no pictures where I zoomed in on their chest or their butt or their crotch area. There was one or two shots where the cheerleader was kicking and you could see a little more of their cheer briefs but I think that was probably OK. But there was one shot that, if taken alone and not as a whole with the other 299 pictures it might be a problem. I certainly did not mean anything by it. It was a picture where the cheerleader had been tossed into the air and she had was spead eagle and most of the brief was showing. Now I do not mean anything other than the briefs were showing but I can see where someone might be concerned expecially if a lot of the pictures I was taking focused in on that. But I am sorry, gross. I would not feel right doing that but you know there are people out there that would do that.

Now I do not think Michigan has laws like Texas has on the books but there is no telling what they may pull up. I had thoughts of going to the local basketball games and taking pictures of the basketball players and cheerleaders if there were any but know I do not know. I mean I have no reason to be there. I mean I do not have a kid in the game or cheering. I am a tax payers and that is my school I fund but still. I can see how parents could be very uneasy about this. You never know what I am actually doing or what I am going to do with it. I might consider asking the school but I saw one place down in Florida that took finger prints and did back ground checks. Now I have nothing to hide but somehow this all just makes me feel dirty or something. Here we have something I love to do and now I don't know if I should.

I would love to here your thoughts. If you do not feel comfortable saying it here than please feel free to email me.

Moving on, would someone make the weather just stabalize somehow. Man I have sinus problems and now it is slipping into my chest. If the sinus problems would go away I would be all set but no. Arg!


Look, pervert, prude, it's not my job to label people. --Night Court
9 Comments:
Blogger barman said...

By the way, I am not really buying that teachers story but I think they should at least reveiw it first and then decide if he did wrong, not suspend him than look. I know, I am nieve.

January 26, 2007 7:36 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Just be careful. You have made your own point. no reason to be there.

As your friend, I know you are straight and can be trusted. I wouldn't want to see you get all jacked up over something so innocent.

I'm not buying the teacher's story either.

January 26, 2007 7:39 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Bryan, there is a law in Michigan! At least in my kids district. No one is allowed to take pictures of the kids at school unless their parents have signed a waiver.

I have no problem signing the waiver for my kids to be photographed. I more or less consided that fact the district doesn't want to be sued when they use your kid on some advertisement for their magnet school program. I hadn't thought about someone taking photos for their personal pleasure (ewww).

I know that you harmlessly take pictures of people. You are safe with the MSU pictures as they are over 18. You are a good guy with good intentions so don't worry.

P.S. I hope my migrane goes the way of your sinus problem. Away with the wind!

January 26, 2007 8:44 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

P.P.S. you switched to the darkside (Beta), didn't you?

January 26, 2007 8:46 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Manny, I am thinking that if I do anything it will be of boys basketball and never point the camera at the cheerleaders. That and I think the MSU games will work. I think I have some college games in my future. Now as far as my niece is concerned I think I am safe. If worse comes to worse I can delete the pictures if asked.

Sign, thank you. I was actually really waiting to see what you said. I am thinking college is my best bet. That and not being a perve... no problem there.

And yes, I went over to the dark side. When I tried to post a new post it would not let me log in. I typed my ID and password and it did not allow it. I changed my ID and it was obvious I had it right the first time. So the only thing I could do is switch, no choices.

January 26, 2007 8:58 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Texas does have some strange laws Barman...
1.) You can not have sex with an armadillo.
2.) Drinking a minimum of 6 Lone Stars is required at all sporting events.
3.) And you MUST remember the Alamo!

Strange but true!

January 26, 2007 9:08 PM  
Blogger barman said...

g-man. no to armadillos. No way.

OK, I have been doing a bunch of research and digging into things on the Internet. What I found was mostly articles from England about what types of permissions are needed to photograph children. After seeing all that was written and doing a lot of thinking I think I will be taking pictures of the events my niece is in but not of anything else where kids are incolved. Once someone is 18 is different but still I will be careful. I usually do not mention where someone is from and do not mention names. Still I should not be posting things on the Internet just the same. I sure am dissapointed but I understand.

January 27, 2007 2:31 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

Over here the laws are very tight about taking images in parks and other areas where children are.

I like taking pics of my nephew and as a woman can probably get away with doing this but if Alex started taking shots then who knows!

At one of my friends young daughters school, they do not allow the parents to take videos of the Christmas concerts any more.

I know that there are perverts out there but if you have a son or daughter in a concert, you should be allowed to film them.

It's hard to know where to draw the line in protecting the young I suppose.

In your case Bryan, the subjects of your pictures are over the age of consent. It's a shame that you can't speak to the school about this without coming under suspicion.

January 29, 2007 8:55 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Suze I saw what you are talking about. Most of the documents I found were from somewhere in the UK. There were very strict on photographers and even more strict on someone that is a non professional photographer taking pictures for the school. One place made you work with the picture right there at the school, you could not even remove it. Also I think, if I was reading it right, another place took the copyright away from the photographer.

I understand a lot more now about this subject than I did before. I think I need to join some photography forums so I can be more aware of trends then I am. I also need to go out of my way to be careful of the pictures I take trying hard to avoid questionable photos. This is something that I usually just avoided natuarally but now I think I will make it something I think about when I take pictures.

I will continue to take pictures of my niece. Everyone there knows her and the family and most know me so I will not have problems unless they stop everyone from taking pictures. I also will probably take pictures of the college level stuff since everyone is above the age of consent but I may cool it on the cheerleaders a little. Then again, most of the pictures all kind of looked the same anyway.

Thanks Suze.

January 29, 2007 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home