Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, January 12, 2007

Saturday's Photo Scavengar Hunt - TECHNOLOGY

PSHunt
Grab the Scavenger Hunt code.
Photo Theme. Join the blogroll. Visit participants.

This weeks theme is TECHNOLOGY.

First the picture I am entering for this week I did not take. Sorry, I knew what I wanted to post but I could not find it in my small library. So forgive me, this is the first time I have done this. I promise to replace it and post it in the future when I am able to take one.

Now I have three pictures way down below. The first one I did not take. The next two I did. If you want you can skip this long story and go right to the end to see the pictures.

I have been on this earth for a lot of years. During this time I have seen TECHNOLOGY really change. Televisions started out in black and white and not everyone owned one. Most people, if they did own one, only had one and it was a piece of furniture. A little later the color TV came along and very few could afford them. They were still pretty bulky too. Tubes disappeared, they got smaller and more affordable, they became flat, higher resolution and weigh a lot less.

Telephones where rotary dial phones. It took 30 seconds or more to dial a number. They were good size but built solid (I know, my parents still have two). After a while they went touch tone, they got smaller and became wireless. Then they became car phones, then bag phones and much smaller cell phones of today. You could even take that one step further and mention Satalite phones. Somewhere in there they added lots of features like memory, voice dial, camera phone, organizer, and I am sure much more.

Television reception was over the air. You received ABC, CBS, NBC. Where I lived we received CBC too since I grew up near Canada. Eventually PBS began to spread. Then came cable TV. I think we could get 13 channels or was that 26. It might have been a wired remote too. Eventually you could get much more channels and then cable went digital. At the same time services started to be offered over cable such as Internet and dial tone. Then came along those big dishes and satalite TV was born. They were the size of a small car but you could get all kinds of stuff. Then the dish started to be a mesh allowing light and more important wind to pass through. They 18 inch dishes were born,

Cameras have went from being black and white film, to color film, to advanced color film, and finally to digital. The digital went from under a mega pixel and not very good to cameras with over 12 mega pixel that can out perform film cameras. In there we had 8m video camera that went to VHS and digital. Betmax was invented, VHS, and DVDs. Albums were 78s, followed by 33 1/3, cassette, 8 track, CD, and MP3.

I have went on way to long. So here is my picture for TECHNOLOGY.

This is a picture of fire. You may ask how this is TECHNOLOGY? Go ahead, I'll wait. Well, thinking back to cave man times fire was a most important technology. That and the wheel and maybe the club.


OK, since I did not take that picture, let me add a couple I did take. This first picture is my first cell phone. It is a bag phone. I was happy I had it but it was not very practical.



I had a few other cell phones in there and here is my present day cell phone. Now I know there are much more advanced cell phones than what I have pictured here.




Thank you very much for visiting. I should be able to start visiting again once Wednesday is over and work is a lot less demanding on me. Have a great weekend and a better week.

Labels: , ,

25 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He, he ! we are on the same line ! That's funny. So far I only saw new technology stuff like mobiles and TV's nobody thought about fire ! We should count if there are others ! If I find one I'll tell you. When I think what my grandma had seen in her life just all the things you listed, besides the mobile phone (she was born in 1894 and lived until 1985) Fortunately she enjoyed all these new inventions, my other grandma wouldn't even take the phone, because at "her time" it didn't exist !

January 13, 2007 12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

VERY cool photos :) I like that you included one of fire. I don't think I would have thought of that.

And, WOW, a bag phone! My husband always says he wishes he could use one of those instead of the kind of cell phones we have today. I don't know why but he insists that they are better.

My photo is up
Christina
www.patentprincess.com

January 13, 2007 12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos and yes we cannot forget the cell phone. Mine is up though I'm afraid it is not that interesting.

Rose
http://rosedesrochers.com

January 13, 2007 2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should have stopped with the fire! That was one of the greatest advancements God gave to man kind! It opened up so much in the way life was lived! Great take on the theme Bryan. Don't work too hard!


My tangled technology is posted. Happy Saturday!

Blossoming Heart Capture

January 13, 2007 7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! A bag phone. That's some interesting old technology!

I played too.

http://photogfrog.livejournal.com/

January 13, 2007 9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to see these early cellphones, Bryan..I saw a segment on CNN last weekend about this very thing. They showed cellphones in movies from the 80's....one was Wall Street with Michael Douglas. To see him talking on this big old monster cellphone....LOL..I just had to laugh.

Interesting post this week. I think many of us "oldtimers" are reluctant to face some of the technology around us today. I have a new cameraphone and don't know how to use it other than for talking.

Do you text message and IM?

I don't....LOL...

Mine is up too.

Happy Saturday to you!

January 13, 2007 9:22 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Ahhhhh! See... I knew technology was going to go this way! We all have LOTS of it -- probably too much of it! When I asked my son who's an "outside of the box" thinker what HE would photograph for "technology", he thought for a few minutes and then said "a post-it note" -- I probably should have listened to him! LOL! I bet NOBODY posted a post-it note!

At any rate Bryan - your photos might not be unique this weekend, but you surely have the best explanation and memory of technology! I ENJOYED reading your long post! :)

Have a great weekend!!!

January 13, 2007 9:23 AM  
Blogger Barbara H. said...

Great to post a picture of fire!! The cell phones change so fast it is hard to keep up.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

January 13, 2007 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The fire?!!! That reminds me of a comic strip in the paper recently. I think it was B.C. or something like that....Two cavepeople...the caveMAN invents fire and tells his caveWOMAN that his latest invention helps her clean the cave in the dark!! Oh well, you hadda be there I guess.

Great technology this week.
Mine's shared.
Hope you drop by and give me a howdy do if you can find time!!

January 13, 2007 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post and appropriate pics. Yes, fire, very important.

January 13, 2007 12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL..I can't say that I've ever seen a bag phone...they sure have come along way with technology.

I actually participated today for the 1st time in ages.

January 13, 2007 12:50 PM  
Blogger Irish Church Lady :) said...

I used to have a bag phone. We used it once while driving to Florida to call into an open line talk show on house maintenance. My hubby got a big kick out of that since it was our first cell phone, or at least he did until we got the phone bill for roaming charges! LOL!

Thanks for visiting me technology shot!

Don't work too hard!

Laters
ICL

January 13, 2007 1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can so relate to your post - I remember when the VCR came out. it weighed a ton, top loaded and a blank tape cost 25 bucks. The machine cost 2500, and that was late 70's. Incredible huh? I could go one and on.
Loved your post.
Have a fabulous weekend,
Frances
Oh my new blog is http://thememesection.com

January 13, 2007 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, great post!

Fire is a class of its own. There's fake fires now.

January 13, 2007 1:33 PM  
Blogger LibertyBelle said...

GReat blog this week!
I really enjoyed reading it!
The fire is a hoot, the bag phone, well............ and your cell phone too!
Thanks for sharing!
Happy Weekend
Mine's up too!
Hugs
L

January 13, 2007 2:46 PM  
Blogger MaR said...

The bag phone is just a great pic for today's theme. Cell phones have developed so quickly! great take !!
happy saturday :)

January 13, 2007 3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've come a long way since fire was discovered, haven't we? We've been in on a whole lot of techonology development in our lifetimes!

Nice interpretation of the theme.

January 13, 2007 5:22 PM  
Blogger -tnchick- said...

You always have terrific entires. Don't sweat the small stuff (meaning the photo you didn't take). I'm not going to make you suffer over it LOL!~ I remember those huge cell phones! Wow, they were big.

January 13, 2007 5:26 PM  
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

I had one of those bag phones too. It was supposed to be for safety in the car. I don't think I ever used it. :-)

January 13, 2007 5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is great! I love it.

Mine is up.

January 13, 2007 8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photo of fire is beautiful. As for the bag phone, not so beautiful, but very clever!

January 13, 2007 8:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are perfect for the Hunt! Very creative.

How fun seeing the "bag phone." I remember way back when, Pastormac's dad, who was a doctor, got one of these to use in his car so that he didn't have to pull over and use a payphone ever time he got a page. Your picture really took me back!

Good job!

January 13, 2007 10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The birth of technology - we need to remember that the baby steps lead to the results we live with now and the road from there to here has certainly not been smooth

January 14, 2007 9:26 AM  
Blogger david santos said...

Helo Barman!
Very good.
Tank you.

January 14, 2007 5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow you still have that big ole bag phone. I would have trashed it by now. lol

January 14, 2007 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home