Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Going to School

Over the weekend I attended a Michigan State University Woman's Basketball game. over 700 pictures later I am now looking at what I took and going to school on them.

OK, first off Sparty the mascot. Well that went OK. The group I was there with, those pictures were OK too. The band, well we were right on top of them and the band was a large group so I got some pictures but it was tough to get anything worth writing home about.

The cheerleaders I did great. I have plenty of room for improvement but I will ve enlarging and printing at least a couple of them. I will add a picture or two of the cheerleaders to this post later when I get a chance.

The game itself, I failed. Looking at the pictures they are just average. I have so much to learn about shooting basketball. I am thinking of attending the local high school games and practice, practice, practice. One thing about the pictures from Sunday, if I crop them they are much better. If I do that to some of the pictures I might be able to salvage some of the game. Here is one of those pictures cropped to look much better.

OK, I have to admit I like that picture. By the way, player number 41 is a tall drink of water. She is 6' 9", does a good job playing basketball, and seems to be a super person on top of it all. I just might need to watch more MSU basketball.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the picture looks great Bryan, nice and clear and you captured their movement well.
700 pictures??????
tc

January 24, 2007 8:20 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Thanks TC. I have a lens that is more expensive than the camera. That allowed me to get that picture from accross the cort and also be able to take pictures in the generally low light situation but it is worth it.

Yep 700. I took about 300 of the game, about 300 of the cheerleaders, 50 or so of the mascot and 50 or so of the band and the group I was there with. It adds up fast.

January 24, 2007 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bryan, I think most good images have to be cropped, it helps to focus on the subject. This is a great action shot!

January 24, 2007 10:27 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I thought this was a professional shot! It is better than the ones we see in the paper.

I've found that my pictures look much better cropped.

January 24, 2007 4:47 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Why are taking taking picture's of cheerleader's? Bad barman...bad and normal.

Wow! 21 lbs. How cool is that?

Good job!

January 24, 2007 5:34 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

You did a great job on that pic!!!

January 24, 2007 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but isn't that what Cropping is all about; being able to see the real picture within the picture? I think it's just as important to be able to do that, than it is to take a perfect, flawless picture!

Practice makes perfect!

Love the air time!

January 24, 2007 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but can she dunk?

January 24, 2007 8:20 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Suze, I have not seen a lot of people talk about cropping but without it the picture was just average. I mean it was in focus, action stopped and lit well enough but there was to much going on. I guess cropping is not so bad.

Oh Sign, I love you. I have a long way to go but I did mange to get a few interesting pictures.

Manny, I look at this as a learning experience. My niece is in both basketball and cheerleading. The more I practice taking these pictures the better I will do. Besides, I like cheerleaders and they are doing things when the team is not doing anything. In March I get to shoot an ice show that she will be in and that will be a real challange. Then the wedding and dance recital (two seperate events) in June and they will all be a challange. I am so looking forward to the next few months ... oh and more cheerleaders!

Thank you Kristen. I can not wait to get better.

Donna, I intend to practice. I am going to two of my nieces basketball games on the 3rd and 4th. Maybe some boys High School bball before than, who knows. I am going to school for sure.

G-man, yes indeed she can dunk. I do not think she even needs to jump up. I think I am in love. :) OK, not really but I do appreaciate her tallent and the person she is. She has a good future in store even if it is not in basketball (she is going to be a doctor).

January 24, 2007 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home