Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Red

Yes the color for today is RED. Why RED? I have been wanting to buy this software for the longest time, well at least a year. It is considered the industry standard when it comes to working with digital images. There is a problem however, the price tag. Now I have been looking all over the place trying to find some angle that allows me to get the software for free or reasonable. I found a way to get it for half price and today I finally ordered it. Still it was not cheap so that is why the color for the day is RED.

Last year Michigan tried to pass a new law and it failed to pass. According to the news it was introduced again today. Here is a link to an article about the same thing going on in Texas. It is a vaccine that, if administered before the girl is sexually active, lowers the chance of her getting HPV by 90 percent which is a leading cause of cervical cancer. Now it appears this is a three shot series. It also appears that she would need to come back in 5 years or it may wear off. They want to make this manditory, or at least require the parents to sign off and say they do not want their daughters to get the immunization.

Some people say it has not been tested enough as it has not yet been approved in the United States I do not believe although it has been through stage II and most of stage III testing. Some worry about side affects but studies say they are minimal. Some say it encourages the girls to be sexually active. OK, first off the meme's I have seen on blogger suggests that they are going to be active with or without the vaccine. Now 11 or 12, which is when the first shots are given, may be a little early but not for everyone. Still I am not sure how this would makes them sexually active.

Now my question here is do you think this should be legislated to require all girls to get vaccinated? What do you think? Not having children I guess I can not be very objective but I think the possibility of wiping out almost any chance of cervical cancer would be a very good thing and a great goal to head toward. Let's make this like other things that we have almost wiped out.


Well, as with any new vaccine, there were certain side effects... --Evolution
8 Comments:
Blogger SignGurl said...

Are you buying photoshop? If so, can I send my pics to you?

I'm up in the air about the vaccine. As you know, I have two girls at just the right age for it. I realize that they will some day be sexually active no matter what. I just hate the thought of it.

January 31, 2007 8:15 AM  
Blogger Suze said...

I'm like Jenn on this. It seems for every treatment there is usually a side effect and with this they have no idea yet what that could be.

So, do you take the risk of not having the vaccine or the risk of the unknown side effects...

January 31, 2007 8:18 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Sign, yep photoshop it is. I got it for just under half price. It is one of those bundle deals where they send you and older version and an upgrade to the current version. I was looking around to see if I could find someone I felt I could trust.

Suze and Sign, I have mixed feelings. I think this is a real good thing but who knows long term what it means. I am a scifi freak so let me head there. There was an episode of Stargate SG-1. In it the people were cured of just about every thing. The one problem, the women could no longer have children. Of course the people did not know that until it was to late. Who knows what the long term affects of this vaccine mught be. Thanks for letting me know what you think.

January 31, 2007 9:41 AM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

On the surface, the vaccine seems like a great idea, but things rarely are what they seem. The advocacy group, Women in Government, is pushing this vaccine. A top official from Merck's vaccine division sits on Women in Government's business council. Merck is providing the money so Women in Government can lobby for passage of the laws making the vaccine mandatory.

Why is Merck doing this? I don't know, but maybe it's because they will make at least $1 billion a year and more if it becomes law everywhere.

Then there is the unknown long term risks. The first large scale clinical trial with 15,000 women was started in 2004. That's just a little over two years ago. Remember Prempro? They said that would practically eliminate the side affects of menopause. It turned out that that long-term use of Prempro was dangerous and significantly increased the risk of stroke, blood clots, heart attacks and breast cancer. My wife's GYN wouldn't even prescribe it after that.

I just don't like the smell of this whole thing.

January 31, 2007 11:50 AM  
Blogger Crabby said...

Red. I love red.

After it's completely found to be safe then, I'm gonna have to say it should be up to parents to make the choice.

Now, if we were talking about sterilization for addict women who keep giving birth to babies and giving them up....ooooo...I have a definite opinion on that one.

My two nieces and nephew are all adopted. All had the same mother. A coke head. And she's had 3 more since then.

January 31, 2007 3:16 PM  
Blogger SIMPLY ME said...

I'm not liking the color red this week, that's the color of my arm!

January 31, 2007 7:58 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

Will you be going through all the colors of the rainbow? lol. Sorry not feeling well at this end. As for the shots I think it should be up to each person like abortion is. If you get the shots ok no problem. But if you choose not to and you get cancer then hey its your fault so its up to you to pay for the treatment not the insurance company. Im probably wrong on this but its what I think

February 01, 2007 7:17 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Tony, your take on this is dead on I fear. The reason you listed are some of the reasons I have reservations.

February 02, 2007 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home