Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, February 22, 2007

The N Word

A few days ago I heard that a local Community College was going to do something for Black History month. They were going to have everyone that wanted to, regardless if they went to the college or not, submit an essay. The topic of the essay was the use of the N word on campus although they did not censor the word when they solicited responses.

Rewind many years ago. I remember seeing an episode of Boston Public, a show about a high school in Boston and they did not hold punches when picking themes. Any the show aired in their second season, I think it was called Chapter 37. Oh and before I go further, this particular episode was the second highest rated espisode of the 5 seasons it was on the air. I am doing this from memory so I hope I get it basically correct. In the episode a few students are arguing about the use of the word. Of course there were both black and white students involved. Well the teacher, Danny, decided that this could not be ignored and he decided to bring it up as a topic of discussion. Basically the discussion was not going very far as a lot of emotions were being interjected and he finally said I want you all to read this book (that he had) and then we will continue the discussion. The book talked about the origin of the word.

In the mean time the teacher got in trouble and was all but told you will stop this now or you will no longer be employed here. Danny was very upset at this as he thought there was nothing wrong with a discussion. Well the next day happened and he tried to steer the class away from what had happened. He was trying to do what he was ordered but surprise the students were more than a little upset. They were all prepared and wanted to discuss the use of the word.

What it all came down to is now that they were educated about the origins of the word some opinions changed but there were still strong feelings about this. A lot of the black students felt that the white students had not earned the right to use the word. Some of the white students still could not understand why it was OK for a black student to call another black student by that word and it was not OK for them to do it when it was meant more as a greeting than something derogatory. In the end I really do not think it solved a lot but I think people at least understood the others point of view even if they disagree with it.

Well I did a little research this week and discovered the word was originally used to describe a black person and not meant to be derogatory at all. Over here in the US the term turned into a derogatory term and still is although, of late it is not as bad as it had been. Other places outside the US it is a mixed bag if this is a bad term or not. What is confusing it however is the way some people use it in talking each other like they were saying homey or something.

I understand how a person can find something offensive from one person and not another. I once worked with one person and I would occasionally but rarely tell a black joke. To me it was no big deal because I knew the joke was stupid anyway just like Polish jokes and Blonde jokes are. Joel did just fine with that and we got along well. Someone else I worked with tried to do the same thing and he just about got his head torn off. The difference being the person telling the joke probably meant what he was saying. There was certainly a perceived difference.

Anyway I do not think I will ever use that word. I dose not have a home in my vocabulary. The strange thing is the one time when I thought about using the word and almost did it was in reference to this someone that was white, not black.

The reason this story hit the news in the first place is the college decided against it and instead would just discuss things. I am glad, I think, it will turn out better in the long run. I know this is not an all warm and cuddly post and if no one comments on it I do not blame you but I thought I would toss it out there.


No, I didn't mean that in a, in a derogatory sense. I got my own problems, really...—Curb Your Enthusiasm
8 Comments:
Blogger Denny Shane said...

Believe it or not a county here in Texas wants to pass a law and begin fining people $500 for using the word in public. So stupid.

February 22, 2007 4:57 PM  
Blogger Denny Shane said...

Believe it or not a county here in Texas wants to pass a law and begin fining people $500 for using the word in public. So stupid.

February 22, 2007 4:57 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Your going deep tonight.

February 22, 2007 6:12 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Denny isn't that funny. I mean I really do not think I would ever use that word. At the same time I do not think government should be getting involved. To me it sounds like someone is fringing on freedom of speech,

Manny, I could not help it. When I heard this it just kind of hit me. It is funny, I think it is a terrible word but I should have every right to use it if I so choose. I think I need to get a hot chocolate or something and lighten it up!!!

February 22, 2007 8:00 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

You and WMY posted on similar topics. Check hers out for my response.

February 23, 2007 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think because of the history and hatred behind the word and how it was used and still is by people who hate black people is why it's so offensive.
There are other words which can sound vile as well such as the F word when it's full of hatred and emotion and GD it, the F*g to describe a gay person, the C word and on and on.
tc

February 23, 2007 8:34 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Sign, WMY posted? Yea!!! I will have to check her out when I can.

TC, I know. I was at a new years and I saw one person get very uncomfortable about a word she heard at work. She could not make herself say the word. The word was kitty ... well maybe not kitty but I think you get the idea. It was super offensive to her. Now I am not in love with the word but it does not bother me like it does her. You just never know. But again, no sensorship.

February 23, 2007 9:51 AM  
Blogger Suze said...

Over here people are so sensitive to any racial sterotyping. There would be riots if that word was used here.

Although I must admit it is one I have never used or see myself doing in the futre.

Very interesting post Bryan.

February 23, 2007 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home