Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Friday, February 23, 2007

Cold is Cold

After yesterday's post, time for something much more lightly hearted. Let me explain something first. Here in Michigan we have an Upper Peninsula and a Lower Peninsula. The people that live up in Gods Country are referred to as Yoppers. The rest of us that live below the bridge to the UP are called trolls. The temperatures in the UP are much colder then the LP and they get a lot more snow. With that…



60 above zero (16 C)

Arizonians turn on the heat.
People in the U.P. plant gardens.

50 above zero (10 C):
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Munising sunbathe.

40 above zero (4 C):
Italian & English cars won't start.
Yoopers drive with the windows down.

32 above zero (0 C):
Distilled water freezes.
The water in Marquette gets thicker.

20 above zero (-7 C):
Floridians don coats, thermal underwear,
gloves, wool hats. Yoopers throw on a flannel shirt.

15 above zero (-9 C):
New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
Yoopers have the last cookout before
it gets cold.

0 (-18 C)
People in Miami all die.
Yoopers close the windows.

10 below zero (-23 C):
Californians fly away to Mexico.
Yoopers get out their winter coats.

25 below zero (-32 C):
Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Scouts in the U.P. are selling cookies door to door.

40 below zero (-40 C):
Washington DC runs out of hot air.
Yoopers let the dogs sleep indoors.

100 below zero (-73 C):
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Yoopers get upset because they can't start the pickup.

460 below zero (-273 C):
ALL atomic motion stops
(absolute zero on the Kelvin scale.)
Yoopers start saying..."Cold 'nuff fer ya?"

500 below zero (-296 C):
Hell freezes over.
Public schools in the U.P. will open 2 hours late.

Note: Celsius added for Canadian and other visitors that do not use Fahrenheit

My Chevy shook a shit! --Escanaba in da Moonlight

Labels:

10 Comments:
Blogger G-Man said...

And I got some Bunny Bread for you Barman!!!

But first, we'll have to eat these Pasties w/gravy!

After we go to Mystery Spot.

Up the road from Castle Rock......
Stop and climb, it's still a dime! ( actually 50 cents, but that don't rhyme ).....G

February 23, 2007 11:53 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Now that is a new one on me g, never heard of Castle Rock. I used to have a wonderful Pasties shop about 5 minutes from my house but alas they are gone now. :( Never been to Mystery Spot but I sure have made fun of it. Boy the joys of the U.P.

February 23, 2007 12:25 PM  
Blogger Crabby said...

Bro, you're front and center at the Cowpie Field today.

February 23, 2007 12:31 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Crabbs, I just saw it. Blush. Love you too.

February 23, 2007 12:45 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Barman, Your not that young. Before the E-Way you had to drive right by it. Don't you remember a gigantic statue of Paul Bunyan with Babe the blue ox? That was at the base of Castle Rock...G

February 23, 2007 3:10 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

Is there a direct translation for "Yoppers"?

It's not a term I am familiar with here in the UK. lol

February 23, 2007 3:31 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Suze Yoppers is just what the people are called. Think of it kind of like slang that you may have for a group of people where you are. I think it is based on UP like UPers for people that live in the UP (Upper Peninsula). Nothing big but everyone in Michigan know what you are saying when you day it. I guess you could think of it like a "Yorkie" for someone from Yorkshire.

G-man, never claimed to be young. I just did not know where you were talking about since I have not headed north a lot. Now I look at a map and I see why I did not know. I have always hit Highway 2 and headed north/west as soon as I crossed the bridge so I never have went past it.

February 23, 2007 4:43 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

This post pretty much sums it up.

My brother in law is a Yooper. He still says "ay" all the time.

I've visited the Mystery Spot a couple of times. It's pretty cool!

February 23, 2007 5:22 PM  
Blogger wmy said...

OMG!! You are so right...my love bud is a skier, and he just loves the cold shit...he is not happy unless his eyes immediately tear up when he walks outside. I silently call him a fucking lunatic in my head as I stand on the heater...yep, I have an old house! lol

February 23, 2007 9:53 PM  
Blogger LibertyBelle said...

We have an expression here in Europe - "There's no such thing as bad weather, only wrong clothing!" *S*
Cute joke -now please translate all those temperatures to Celsius!
happy weekend
L

February 24, 2007 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home