Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Kids

When I was a kid we used to get together as the neighborhood kids and do things. Sometimes it was head down to the old softball diamonds and play baseball. Sometimes it was kick the can at night. Other times it was holding our own summer Olympics. That involved using the bicycles, swimming, and running mostly. We also had pool tournaments, ping pong tournaments, just anything that seemed to involve some sort of activity and most of the kids in our neighborhood on our street. Not that someone from another street was not welcome but they just never showed up.

My brother is 17 years younger than my sister. As a result that is almost a generation in time. It was interesting seeing how different things were. People tended to invite one or two people inside and, at least for boys, play video games and maybe something else. That days of getting a bunch of people together seemed to be over. A lot of other things changed in the time too.

Now here we are 31 years latter. Kids seem to continue to only play in small groups. They seem to like to be indoors a lot, you almost need to kick them to get them to go outside and “do something”. Cell phones are everywhere and so are text messaging even among the very young. Computers, computers, computers doing things I haven’t even a clue about. IM, MySpace, MP3s, and I am sure so much more. It would seem at times they do not even need to get together any more.

I kind of makes you wonder where the next generation is even heading. So was I fair here or am I just being a crotchety old foggie saying you call that music, turn it down!



I stole this from an email. It was ment to be humorous but also talk about dealing with stress. I thought who of us do not have some form of stress:

Here are some ways of dealing with the burdens of life:
* Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
* Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
* Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
* Drive carefully. It's not only cars that can be recalled by their Maker.
* If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
* If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
* It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
* Never buy a car you can't push.
* Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.
* Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.
* Since it's the early worm that gets eaten by the bird, sleep late.
* The second mouse gets the cheese.
* When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
* Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
* To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.
* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once
* We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull, Some have weird names , and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box
-A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.
7 Comments:
Blogger Just Jan said...

If you're an oldie..I'm sure an oldie too. Kick the can was one of our favorite games as kids. I'm always amazed when kids these days say they are bored with nothing to do. What has happened to imagination???

I wanted to let you know my Daughter said not to hurt yourself trying to send Labor Vibes her way...but appreciates the gesture.

March 06, 2007 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are an old fogie..lol, just kidding!
The internet and cellphones have changed everything, I'm glad they didn't exist when I was growing up because we had to use our imagination to entertain ourselves.
Kids are exposed to so much these days, it's like they are forced to grow up too soon.

Thanks for including the email, there's some nice stuff in there.:)
tc
great post Bryan.

March 06, 2007 1:54 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Jan you have at least several more years before you become an oldie, promise! I think being old is a frame of mind anyways. Oh and think about the vibes. I know I owuld have regretted it.

TC, I liked using the imagination and I should use it more that I do now. Kids really have missed out on a lot now a days. I would have loved to take advantage of so much more when I was in high school.

March 06, 2007 2:34 PM  
Blogger Suze said...

I wonder how many people have been run over or walked in to objects whilst chatting on their mobiles.

In my day we used to manage with the payphone and small change. :)

March 06, 2007 3:11 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

This is something I harp about every day. When I was a kid, we spent every moment we could outside playing. You are right, now you have to kick them to get them outside. It's a shame.

March 06, 2007 7:53 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Barman, then
Baseball in the summer
Football in the Fall
Snowmen in the winter
Kite flying in the Spring
You never locked your door!

Now, Video games
Internet
Cable TV

Time Marches ON!!!

March 06, 2007 11:24 PM  
Blogger Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

We played kickball during the day and after dinner (not much homework in those days) the neighborhood gathered in our yard to play hide 'n seek until dark. . .

March 11, 2007 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home