Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Busy, Busy, Busy

I have a question. Last weekend I was gifted an old bottle of Seagram VO whiskey. It was bottled in 1978 or 1979 at the age of 6 years old. That makes this bottle about 35 years old. It has never been opened and was stored in a box the basement the entire time. My question is has it gotten better with age, about the same or only feed it to my enemies? I know wine has a very definite time frame. Beyond that it turns and you just don't want to drink it. It seems liquor is different however.


Over the weekend I watched a Pinewood Derby. That was fun. They had 16 cars including one very pink car with a few stickers. Yes that was my niece's car. She loves pink.

They had an elaborate track that was a little messed up. It was not until half way through that they decided to do something about it. I think they should have done at the beginning. When the race was started the gate would hit the back of the cars as they rolled by causing at least one car to jump a little. Who knows what that did? It was not until it was semi final time that they fixed it.

The girls were excited and the races kept happening. In the end, when the smoke cleared, my niece took 4th place. Not bad out of 16 racers. Last year she took almost last out of 10 racers.

Now comes the odd part. I thought this was something for the girls to do. This was a brownie (I think) event and all. But no, instead what was happening is the girls probably picked out the color of the paint and what stickers go on. Maybe they even painted it. But, but that is about it. The cars that did well probably had the wheels and axles ground. Not just graphite but special blended graphite was used. The placement of the axils was critical as was the weight which is placed on the bottom as close to the back as possible, I heard this and much more being discussed amongst the fathers. Sure make you wonder how much of this was the dads and how much was the daughters. Oh well, I guess they have fun.


OK, time for one more question. Back in 1960 there was a song that came out and was very popular. It kind of went dormant until it popped up in several commercials. If you watch much TV at all you probably have seen it there, a Yoplait Yogurt commercial. In it there is a lady who is trying to loose a few pounds so she can fit into her bikini when the weather gets nice.

It was an Itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini

Now here is the question? What was this song about? Yes it was a bikini but what color was it? What size was it? What size were the polka dots? What size where the Polka Dots? For something so simple it is amusing to see how many different ways people can interpret this.

Someone else did this on the NET and I just found it when I looked it up before typing this. Check it out here.

First let me say ignore the commercial. I mean that is their own interpretation of what the suit looked like. Here is my interpretation...

It was a small swimsuit but probably very large by todays standards. Just take a look at some of the swimsuits at Wicked Weasel. I think people would have died if they saw anyone dressed in any of the suits WW offers.

It was a yellow bikini.

I had polka-dots on it.

Something I read makes me believe that it was white polka dots on it.

Here is the things I just found on the Internet talking about this very same thing.

So what do you think?
7 Comments:
Blogger lime said...

yes the dads can get really crazed about the whole thing. we've seen it with our boy. he made his own car and it was kinda tatty looking compared to the rest and yet he won second place with it. the other dads descended on my husband to get all his secrets. it was quite comical. no secrets to be had...just a kid making a car.

May 17, 2007 4:19 PM  
Blogger S said...

LOL...yeah sometimes the dads duke it out over kids sports and stuff! Sheesh....


I think the color is more importants, and like, if you got some flowere stickers for it or some shiny paint and glitter!

HE HE!

May 17, 2007 5:24 PM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

To answer your question, the whiskey is still good. I found this article for you which explains it.

http://tinyurl.com/2p2vn9

May 17, 2007 7:18 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Lime that is great. It turns out my niece did have some help for sure on this one and they are talking about next year. But the dads descended on the winners on Saturday too. way to funny.

S, sports are much worse then the derby. They take that stuff so serious. I actually feel sorry for some kids. Shinny paint and glittery would be SO UP HER ALLEY. We shall have to call you next year for a consultation.

Tony that article is so perfect. It tells me exactly what I wanted to know and even mentions Seagram VO in the article. Darn, I hoped I had something special. It is good to know it is still OK. I may need to do something with that this weekend.

May 17, 2007 7:34 PM  
Blogger SIMPLY ME said...

Sadly parents do alot of the projects for their kids in hopes they win. Especially for science fairs. I hated that. Every year my kids did their own and never won and the same kids won every year and everyone knew the dad did them. not fair, but thats the way it is.

glad Tony helped you with the whiskey question....by the way, whiskey is my FAVORITE!

bikini question...I think it was a white bikini with "YELLOW POLKA DOTS"

Have a good weekend Bryan!

May 17, 2007 7:42 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I think it was red with yellow polka dots.

I'm glad Tony answered the Whiskey question. I only know how to drink it. ;)

May 17, 2007 8:57 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Barman, I still have my Pinewood Derby Racer from 1959...
It's still fast!!!
And about the VO?
Hahaha, there is only ONE true way of finding out...
Crack it open!!!

May 17, 2007 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home