Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, January 10, 2008

55Flash Fiction Friday

It has been some ride.

You have never been
on one quit like this.

It is a white knuckle ride for sure.

If you can just survive
you promise to never do it again, EVER.


With a sharp turn and a sudden jerk
it is finally all over.

Never again will you teach drivers education.






Most you you probably have kids and no doubt have went through training your kids to drive. Now I know you need to go through a class or some sort of other training but, it least when I grew up, I think parents took their children out driving first just to get things started.

Now can you imagine what it must be like to be the drivers training guy? I mean with only a little bit of book work they are then trapped in the passenger side of the car with your child.

I can not imagine. I know I was nerves big time when it was my turn. They pulled up in my drive and I popped in. Sue continued the drive. The drivers trainer pulled a fast one however. He got her started in a conversation and ... SHE RAN A STOP SIGN. Man did he give her a talking to. Well here I am in the car with three students, one of which is driving. Of course the drivers trainer was there too. He had her drive to a park a little ways away and then turned it over to me. I got to drive a very little bit in the park than I jumped right into a fairly busy road. That was scary. Another fun trip was up the expressway with trucks (yikes). Also driving around in Detroit (yes big old scary Detroit with all its bad drivers) with no electricity so the lights were not working. Somehow I managed to make it out in one piece and so did the instructor. I sure hope he got hazard pay.

Well there you have it, my 55Flash fiction Friday. If you are new to this or just have not done one before think about clicking on the side bar that says 55 Flash Fiction Friday. It will take you to a post about what it takes to do a 55. They are pretty easy as long as you come up with something to write about. Once you have done one that is 55 words long (and yes we will forgive you if it is not exactly 55 words but do shoot for it) and posted it than come visit either our temporary host Galen or usual hostess with the mostess Susie (she is on vacation now) and leave them a message that you posted. They will send the posse over to come see your 55 and welcome you in. I hope you join as it is actually pretty fun.

Labels:

16 Comments:
Blogger GAB said...

AH I remember when I did drivers training(I was the student) The poor teacher told this one kid you have to be at at least 40 MPH as you merge into the traffic coming down the ramp....he should have not told him that cause when we hit the merging traffic he was almost on two wheels at about 65! I almost didnt finish taking the class.

January 10, 2008 11:29 PM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

Great 55 Friday Bryan, and some scary memories for us all!

My 55 Friday is up!

January 10, 2008 11:54 PM  
Blogger Cha Cha said...

Ohhh....

I love the story behind the story!

January 11, 2008 3:18 AM  
Blogger G-Man said...

Bryan my boy..excellent job!
Thanks for playing, and have a great week-end..
Galen

January 11, 2008 7:08 AM  
Blogger lime said...

eeeeek, we have one wanting her driver's license. i told my husband he had to teach her becasue i couldn't

January 11, 2008 7:42 AM  
Blogger smarmoofus said...

I never took a driver's training course. I never actually read the driver's manual either... *shifty eyes* I just took the written exam, waited the requisite 30 days and then took the driving portion. I passed both on my first attempt. The only complaint the driving test person said was I turned on my turn signal too early. *stares* I swear he was just looking for something to complain about.

But I can imagine what it's like with some drivers. I wouldn't have wanted to teach my sister how to drive, for example! No coordination, and after 20 years behind the wheel, she's still ... scary. *shudders*

Great 55! Fun topic.

January 11, 2008 7:45 AM  
Blogger snowelf said...

I've never taken a driver's course either--I just kinda taught myself to drive. I love the pic!!

Have a great weekend, Bryan!!

--snow

January 11, 2008 7:50 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Oh Gab, that would be so scary. Yes the words "at least" can be a bad thing to say to some people.

Little Wing, I think we did pretty good as a whole when we trained. They made special arrangements to put us band geeks through together at the same time since we were going out of the country for almost 3 weeks. I do not know if that says band geeks are good drivers or just mousy or something but...

Thank you Strumpet. I always love to read the rest of the story. It is much more fun that way. So I thought it only fair that I share too.

Thanks for stopping by master G. You have a great weekend too.

Lime I wonder if I could either. I know I have been in the passenger seat before with my Dad driving when he was younger and also another time with a friend driving. The scared the peep out of me. I was pressing the imaginary breaks and on occasion putting my hand in front of me to make sure I did not hit the dash. And they knew how to drive ... sort off. Shiver...

Wow Smarmoofus. A lot of driving just kind of makes sense to me but I remember a few questions that just don't. I even got one wrong that dealt with driving in fog. I had no idea. But I did pass. Good thing they did not ask questions like towing trailers or stopping distances or other detail things.

Snow good for you. I know that s more or less required now. I think it was the normal thing to do when we were in school. I do remember the normal thing to do was learn how to drive on the back roads when you went deer hunting too. That is kind of trial by fire but some how a two lane road in the middle of no where with little chance of traffic made it easier. OK, test for you. If you are driving up on a blind person on the side of the road do you A) honk the horn when you approach them B)...

January 11, 2008 8:45 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

Driving schools! Yikes! Don't remind me!

If one can drive in India, one can drive anywhere! Here we have to learn to drive on roads with camels and sheep and cows and donkeys of both kind ( human & animal)

January 11, 2008 9:32 AM  
Blogger Cha Cha said...

Master G...I love that term, Barman.


Mona, you are cracking me up!

And what a picture you paint!


Also, Barman, you always have an awesome description of what a 55 is at the end of your post and I hope you don't mind, but I told someone who was interested in playing to make sure he comes and reads it to get a great description of the game.

xo, and have a cool day!

January 11, 2008 11:02 AM  
Blogger Akelamalu said...

I pitied my driving instructor! :(

Great 55. Mine's up too.

January 11, 2008 12:34 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

My oldest went through Driver's Training this summer. Now she wants to drive everywhere with me. I can't handle it. It's horrible, not because of her driving, but the driving of those around us. People do stupid things around here.

Great 55!!

January 11, 2008 4:50 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Mona, I can not even imagine. However we do have lots of human donkey types around here so I know somewhat what you speak of.

Strumpet, anything for you. I certainly would be more than willing to help in any way. I kind of like Master G too but you know, I think I subconsciously stoled if Top Cat.

Akelamalu, I am sure it made them a better person. I mean what does not kill you makes you stronger. Very nice 55 and I love the pictures.

Sign is that not the truth. Unfortunately I am the other bad driver on occasion. Maybe I best stay away for a while just in case. I would bet it is hard to sit back seeing all that is going on and not being the one driving.

January 11, 2008 9:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was taught to drive by a professional drivers’ training school. Since my mother was herself a new driver ( she didn’t obtain a license until I was 14) and my father had the reputation of never being able drive past a bar without stopping for a beer, we concurred that paying some pros to teach me to drive was the most expedient—and the safest—way.

January 12, 2008 4:08 PM  
Blogger San said...

The kids learning to drive--more hair-raising than potty training.

Driving in Detroit with the lights out. You deserve a medal. That's where my husband hails from, so, yes, I've experienced Detroit drivers. And the lights were working. That was rough enough. But don't get me started on Chicago. Heck. Don't get me started on the entire state of New Mexico.

January 12, 2008 5:22 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Nick that was probably a good idea. I know, even as cautious of a driver I am, I still have some bad habits that I probably would pass on. A driving instructor should be teaching you right. Interesting about your Mom. Now a days almost everyone drives but I have know a bunch of mainly women who are older than me who never learned. I would be so lost.

San, luckily is was fairly early in the morning on a Sunday so it was not so bad. I think I would have freaked out if it were later in the day. Chicago, that is a tough town. I have also been in Los Angels. I have never seen New York City however and frankly I think I am scared to. Now New Mexico, I had no idea. I have never been.

January 13, 2008 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home