Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

I Am Going to Miss Her

Yesterday we had a nice little gathering for the retirement of the boss who I will call P. Well actually she is my bosses boss. Now people do not always say good things about their boss. The person that was our boss before was not a very nice person. I was SO happy to see her leave. You can tell others were happy too. People were quitting 1 or 2 a month for the last little bit. As soon as she left that stopped and one person even came back.




P asked that no one get her any gifts and there not be a big deal made of her leaving. I am sorry, everyone loved her and she has been with us in one form or another for 26 years. Can you imagine. Some people I know that blog were not even alive when she started working with us. There were a couple of people that said some real nice things about her and you know, for once it was all true and not just blowing smoke like people usually do at times like this. And her little speech she made was wonderful. At least some of us contributed and she received a very nice gift to a local jewelry shop. What girl does not love diamonds or gold?




P is one of the persons that can be your friend. She can even admit she makes mistakes herself but, if need be, she will step up to the plate and do the tough thing. Not many but a few people have been fired under her watch. But for the most part things never get there. P was not afraid to get down and dirty. She was always welcome to stop for a beer anytime with the pee-ons which she did on occasion. Normally most people would dread having their boss come out drinking. I found out something today I did not know about P. She was a yooper. A what you may ask?




Well Michigan has two unique peninsula. A lower peninsula where the majority of the people live and an upper peninsula. The peninsulas are joined by a five mile suspension bridge. Anyway the people in the lower peninsula are affectionately known as trolls. You know, because we live below the bridge. The people from the upper peninsula are known as yoopers. Yoopers are known for a lot of things including a laid back attitude, a more or less Canadian accent, probably being closer aligned to Canada or Wisconsin rather than the rest of Michigan, and of course drinking. Hey you have to do something in those long winters up there. Personally I love to cross country ski up there too but that is a different story. Anyway if you have ever seen or heard Bob and Doug McKenzie (brothers and comedians from Canada) than you know just what a yooper is like. I think that explains a lot about P.


Anyway I will really miss P. I can only hope that who ever replaces her will be half the person she is.

So anyone out there up to stopping for a drink ... I am buying! Cheers.
4 Comments:
Blogger S said...

I am so up for a drink, in fact, after this post I am heading to my room to find the whiskey.

How are you, my friend? I just had to come by and say hello.

I hope you and P will stay in touch, now that you dont work together, you can still be friends!
Will be home Monday!
S

January 10, 2008 9:21 AM  
Blogger San said...

It's sad to see someone you admire leave the workplace, especially a great boss!

May another one walk through the door.

Cheers.

January 10, 2008 5:02 PM  
Blogger Cha Cha said...

I am so up!

P sounds truly great and I hope, like already stated, that you guys remain friends cos she sounds like one awesome woman.

xo, Bryan

January 10, 2008 5:32 PM  
Blogger John C. Goacher said...

Was P. the P. I remember with the last initial of N.?

She wanted to retire when I did five years ago. She was always the best and most supportive in the administration.

Now what will you do on those beer nights?

Cheers,

January 10, 2008 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home