Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

What a Great Day...

I had a real nice lunch yesterday. They put on a luncheon for us for the Holiday season. The food was nice, the conversations nice, all and all it was a good time but that is not why I had a good time. Let me explain.

When I walked in there were already people there. First thing I saw the people, next I smelled and saw the food. I headed for the line and filled up my plate with goodies. Once I got that and the drink under control as I was headed back to take a seat when I noticed it.

First I saw two microphones set up on mike stands. One of the mikes was the old style but still very good microphone. The other was a little more modern. By them was a music stand which sat near two chairs. Just beyond that was a mixer board (now were talking) which must have also doubled as a power amp. That was then hooked into a couple of nice looking speakers.

OK, now that was enough to get me very excited. I have always like the tecky side of things and that includes audio/visual as well. But the other thing this reminded me of was Open Mike night. Back 10 15 years ago I used to attend many an open mike night many of which my coworker was playing and singing at. Actually to just say he was doing that is an understatement. I think one of the things I enjoyed about him is he would entertain, not only with the music but also in what he said as a introduction to his different songs. He was a true entertainer. Let me clear something up before I go further. I say was because A) he retired and B) he moved to Florida. It kind of makes it hard to do Open Mike nights anymore.

So after a while one of the people I work with stepped up to the mike and brought his brother with them. They played soft Christmas music in the background and they were pretty good. I would be curious to see what else they can play. Someone kept yelling Free Bird but they were not bighting. Anyway that brought back a lot of memories. The only thing that would have made it better would be if they played Streets of London, Poverty, Poverty, Knock, Boothferry Bridge and a few others to name names. I sure did enjoy those days GoGo...

Anyway that was my highlight of my day. How about you, how did your day go?

Oh and one more thing, time to wish my friend SignGurl a happy birthday. She is one of the most super people I am so fortunate to know. She is always willing to lend a hand and also ready to kick butt and take names if the situation calls for it. She is very creative and turned into quit the tech savvy person too. She is always fun to be around and and ... well and a lot more. I got to stop this because it is starting to sounds line a eulogy. Anyway don’t forget to stop by and wish her a happy birthday.
10 Comments:
Blogger Queenie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 18, 2007 2:15 AM  
Blogger Queenie said...

That was me who deleted.
As you know I'm not tecky minded at all, give me a paint brush anytime, even a pencil and pad will keep me quiet for hours.
The open mike sounds so much better than the Karaoke, you wonder who told some of those folks they can sing...

December 18, 2007 2:25 AM  
Blogger lime said...

sounds like lots of fun was had by all.

happy birthday jenn!!!

December 18, 2007 7:42 AM  
Blogger jillie said...

I got my stitches out yesterday and my cast changed. I went from red to red...hahahahaha! Have to stay festive! Only 13 more days to go!

Yes, Jenn is a remarkable lady!

;o)

December 18, 2007 12:06 PM  
Blogger John C. Goacher said...

Gee, Bryan, I haven't read your blog in a while, and then when I do, I find you said nice things about me. Those nights singing were made special for me by the recordings you made, and which I hope to compile onto CD sometime in 2008. (I promise to just pick out the good bits).
Everyone had their favourite songs, and I remember 'Streets of London' being one of yours.

Hope you have a jolly holiday season.

December 18, 2007 4:14 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I was wondering if goGo was who you were talking about. Very cool!

Thank you so much for the birthday wishes! I'm on my way to a free birthday dinner at Finley's. Steak...yummy!

December 18, 2007 4:59 PM  
Blogger barman said...

GoGo those were good times both at work and afterwards but I loved the Open Mike nights the most. I really remember the first night when you and the long haired singer (gosh I have forgotten his name, Shawn comes to mind but that seems wrong) about came to blows after the bar closed. That turned into the strangest relationships. The other thought was when you, who typically played solo, or occasionally with one other person, were up on stage and slowly you had a whole band fill in behind you, drums and all. I could not believe that would ever happen as the music was really very different than what they would play but boy did it sound great. Of course toss in a Theakston's Old Peculiar or two and anything is possible. :)

Sign, yep that be him in all his glory. I do not think he plays any more these days but it was always fun back then. Wow, Finley's, I have never been but when I drive past I am always so hungry from the wonderful smells. I hope you had a great birthday dinner and a wonderful time.

December 18, 2007 7:26 PM  
Blogger BTExpress said...

Today was like many other days in my life mow, nothing special. But last night we went to Lori's company's Christmas party. There was good food, free drinks and a DJ. Let's not forget the naughty, young, bi-sexual girls acting like you'd want them to act. I had a ball. ;-)

December 18, 2007 8:42 PM  
Blogger John C. Goacher said...

Hi Bryan,

the other singer was Shannon - long blonde hair, muscles and an attitude. Also a heck of singer. That impromtu band session was a Beatles' song I think and was one I will always remember.

Not singing these days, although I am thinking about it. There are a couple of good Irish and British Pubs down here, and I've been successful with 'Penny Lane' at tourist karakokes.

Sithee

December 18, 2007 8:47 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Oh dear, shat did I do. I missed people. Queenie, I know about Karaoke. I have seen some people that are wonderful and other that just think they are wonderful. I just fall in between as I know I am not wonderful.

Lime I think it was nice. They enjoyed performing, we enjoyed listening.

Jillie, another red one? I thought you might have went green or something. Can't wait for the New Year and the cast coming off.

December 19, 2007 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home