Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

R*E*S*P*E*C*T

How do you get respect? How do you keep it?

Over the Thanksgiving long weekend my niece had a basketball game she cheered at. Wow, what a change from last year. I only saw a few familiar faces. They were only cheering, no stunting yet. It turns out the person that was leading up the cheerleaders last year left the state. Several of the cheerleaders said they would only cheer for her. Still others left lemming style. That left only four returning girls out of a squad of 12 to 14. Enter the new person running the cheerleaders.

This new person looked young to me (but everyone looks young to me) and I was right. It turns out she is a high school student at a different school in the area. She has plenty of drive. Not only does she have her own school to keep up with and basketball and cheerleading but now she is heading up cheerleading at my nieces school. She has already formed a 14 member squad in the 5th through 8th grades. Now she wants to continue growing that and form a 1st through 4th grade squad too. My question, does she ever sleep? My other question... 1st graders cheerleading? Anyway, moving on.

Now the whole point of this. So how do you command a little respect? I mean here you have a 15 or 16 year old that is trying to do something pretty lofty, set up a mini cheerleading dynasty. That is plenty enough work in itself. But now she has to command the respect of both the adults and the kids to accomplish her goal.

You would think the kids would be the easy part, it would just be the adults she has to win over (dream on), but no. Three of the worst people on her squad, ones that have no respect for her, are fifth graders. Boy things have changed since I was growing up. I would have had more than a little talking to if I was being disrespectful to someone. Of course I suspect the parents have taught their kids to disrespect them and it then in turn is passed on to others. Not good.

Well I guess the answer to my own question, you need to earn respect. Once she is able to get the squad back to somewhat the same level they were at before and she is able to improve upon that then she will earn the respect of some if not all the people. In a perfect world at least that is how it should work. I wish her well.
8 Comments:
Blogger Crabby said...

Oh yeah, sure. You can do it the hard way and earn it. Or ..... a faster solution is ... a paint ball gun.

November 27, 2007 9:20 AM  
Blogger lime said...

you are right. it is a different world. respect is a hard won thing these days.

November 27, 2007 10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's unusual to have such a young person placed in charge like that..well hope it all works out.

C'mon over and pick up your Best Buddies Award Bryan.:)
tc

November 27, 2007 12:22 PM  
Blogger jillie said...

Respect is a rarity in the 40 and under crowd. Hell, they probably don't even know it's a song either! Well, I give that young girl kudos for all of her drive and ambition and wanting to do something. Make a difference maybe? Who knows but I am sure it's not easy.

1st graders cheering? Now THAT, my friend is just a little too young.

November 27, 2007 2:33 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Crabby, I like the way you think.

Lime, if I ever get any respect then maybe I will know the answer to these questions. Maybe some day.

Top Cat I thought so too. I am most impressed but boy does it make me feel old. I will be over later today my friend.

Jillie, I think in the end she will walk away with a lot of usefull lesons if nothing else. I think I would be impressed to have accomplished what she has already. I agree about the cheering. I would think 5th grade is pretty darn young let alone 1st grade.

November 27, 2007 3:06 PM  
Blogger S said...

Things just aint the same as when we was young, sonny!

Hi Bryan, hows it going? I havent been here all week, sheesh!

Cheerleading gives me the heeby geebies just saying!

November 29, 2007 1:36 PM  
Blogger jillie said...

BRYAN! ;o)

November 29, 2007 6:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"If you want to be respected, you must first respect yourself." ~ Basque proverb

November 29, 2007 8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home