Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Monday, September 29, 2008

Extreme Edition

Have you ever seen the show Extreme Makeover Home Edition? If not then did you happen to see Wild Hogs and stay to the very end where the crew rebuilt the Fuegos bar? If not then you are no fun. Anyway here is why I brought that up.

They had their season opener yesterday. I missed it. But yesterday was another big day around my area. On Friday they let a local (just over 10 miles from my house) family know that they had been selected but Extreme Makeover to have their home rebuilt and they were whisked away to Disneyland.

Pre dawn Sunday the entire process sprang into motion with the parade of workers and the home being cleared for demolition early today. Hopefully they can get some sort of foundation in and a framework soon because the local weather, which was incredible last week, will start two days of rain after dark today. Anyway I am sure the local builder and the TV show can still pull it off.

They are scheduled to be complete on Thursday and bring the family home on Friday for the "Move That Bus" moment Friday afternoon. In about a month the episode should be airing. I am not sure if I will get a chance to make it over there. It would be really something else but there are 250,000 people in the area and I have to believe even just the crew will swamp that area. I can not wait to watch the episode filmed just miles away from my door. They could not have picked a more deserving family. See story here.

Gee I wonder if I could get the crew to come over and put a piece of siding back on for me?
9 Comments:
Blogger lime said...

wow, that's pretty cool to be able to see the process taking place in your own hometown.

September 29, 2008 2:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I guess I am no fun!

September 29, 2008 10:00 PM  
Blogger Alex the Blogging Kat said...

I aintz no funz neffer.

September 29, 2008 10:01 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Lime it sure is. I only hope all goes well for them. I have seen some not so nice stories about prior people they helped.

Nick you and Alex are to fun. I would imagine watching Alex play with your nose hose would be mesmerizing.

Not everyone watches much TV. I would imagine you enjoy your books much more.

September 29, 2008 10:04 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

I absolutely love that show.

They did one for a family in Louisville.

I cry everytime I watch it.

it's wonderful

September 30, 2008 7:50 AM  
Blogger barman said...

KJ, they do it on purpose trying to make them tear jerkers. At least some deserving people are helped in the end.

September 30, 2008 9:28 AM  
Blogger Roxi said...

what really worries me, and my roomate is a previous realestate agent, is that a foundation has to sit for a minimum month before they can build on it or it gets cracks in it.

So, please update me on the foundation process.. It really worrys me that they are giving away these houses only to incure costs that the family really cant afford later..

September 30, 2008 9:31 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Sarah, I agree. I was thinking the same thing. My BIL built a house and the curing time is at least a month if not more. But here is what I think they did, at least from the pictures I have seen of the house progress. The house appears to be on cinder blocks rather than an actual cement wall. That is the only way I can see them putting up a house the day after putting the foundation. Of course people do not usually do that these days, it means the house is worth less and it also means they will have more problems with a wet basement then they would have had otherwise.

I have seen several places where people had money problems, tax problems, and many other problems with these homes. I suspect that short cuts are taken on the homes too. I know the habitat for humanity homes have short cuts done on them (same BIL helped built President Carter Habitat homes and he said there were shortcuts to get things done that fast.

So I think I am a little uneasy about those homes too.

September 30, 2008 10:01 PM  
Blogger Roxi said...

There is another detroit area show on right now.. Its a deaf family... Hmm..

October 04, 2008 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home