Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Monday, October 06, 2008

Homecoming weekend

This weekend was homecoming for the local High School. As usual I made it to the parade but this year I also attended the homecoming football game.

Things sure have changed since the bagillion years ago when I attended High School. First the floats were much more to them. The one year we built a Raggedy Ann and Andy on the float. I think they must have been 10 foot high. I still remember one of the floats I saw this past weekend. It had a pig on it... at least I think it was a pig. I suppose it would have helped to know the theme for the year but I had no idea. Oh well.

They had 2 bands in the parade. The High School band was first and they did pretty good. The lines were OK but not as straight as they should have been. Sorry I am a former band geek and I look for things like that. The drum line was strong but you know, I can not think of a band that does not claim to have a strong drum line. Of course as soon as the band got in front of me they stopped playing. Typical. When they were playing they were playing Anchor’s Away. Later I figured out that must be the schools song.

The second band was strange. While the first band had spiffy uniforms, the second one had on what ever. Some shirts with the district name, some with ratty jeans, some with something else that at least had one of the school colors. And what were they playing??? Why Anchor’s Away of course. I do not know who these people are. Maybe it was the overflow band if to many people went out for High School band. UPDATE: It turns out it was the eighth grade band and the reason for the mismatch is they normally wear pull overs and it was to cold for that. So they asked the kids to wear school colors. Apparently they should have asked the parents to make sure they wore school colors.

Now what else was in the parade? Why of course you had to have the cars with the homecoming court on board. Now once again things were so different. When I was in High School I think there was four or possibly six couples but not this parade. They had 13, count them 13 couples. One for the class of 2009, one for 2010, one for 2011, and one for 2012. OK, that leaves 9 other couples. I am not sure why there were do many.

Even though it does not sound like it, I actually enjoyed the parade.

Well I took some time getting to the football game and offloaded all the pictures I took from the parade and got all primped and prepped for the game. I showed up about 10 minutes before the game and found my friends and was all settled in before the game.

Out came the camera and zing, zing, zing went my camera as I took a butt load of pictures of the band as they performed on the field. That was followed by an exciting football game. The team was ahead by 14 points at one point but before the first quarter was done it was 14 to 14. It went downhill from there. As I watched I found out that my local team was not good at all. Actually people were amazed that they scored. One game they almost had the mercy rule applied. I had no idea they had a mercy rule in football.

Part way through the first quarter they lost their quarterback and after a while they took him away with an ambulance. Maybe that is why they lost 33 to 21. I noticed after a while the otehr team started practicing going for 2 points instead of a field goal after the touchdown. Might as well, my team was not going to beat them.

The band performed at half time and did pretty good. The drum line was good, the flag girls did very well and their flags were great. Over all I liked the performance. I would not mind watching them some more. But boy did it get chilli after a while. The second half of the half time show was presenting the court and picking the king and queen. The King was a of course a football player. The Queen, well I have no idea who she was but she was very pretty, seemed to be filled with a great personality and seemed to be very popular.

I watched some more of the game but was out of there before the third quarter was over. When I left it was 33 to 21. I did stop by Tim Horton’s to get a nice hot chocolate and when I drove pass the game again it was still 33 to 21 which is what the final score was.
Well that was homecoming. I hope you had a nice weekend.
4 Comments:
Blogger S said...

LOL @ your 55, sorry I'm late.
Bryan, you are right about the dad/daughter thing but someones gotta lay down the law around here!

Have a lovely week.

S

October 06, 2008 10:28 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

At least it was a nice night for homecoming. Ours is this Friday. Not sure what the weather is supposed to be.

October 06, 2008 8:56 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Thank you Susie and good luck with being the enforcer. You need to do it as he never will.

Sign, I hope you have nice weather. The weather channel seems to think it is now. Other than being rather chilly it was OK. Hey, if you want to win the homecoming game, play my team. I guarantee a win.

October 06, 2008 9:41 PM  
Blogger Anonymouse said...

lol Very cool! My homecoming is far far away now ;) Not that I have been for the past oohh well I did go once.. sooo 17 or 18 years? lol

I did go to a parade also this weekend though! They had the local one for the pumpkin festival and their own homecoming. LOTS of floats n such here... I was pretty surprised really for such a small town. But it was not only our county, a lot of Martin Co was here also for some reason. Prolly 150 entries. Pretty cool.

October 07, 2008 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home