Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, December 04, 2008

„La Cucaracha



Yesterday when I walked into work I had a surprise. I walked in with a cockroach. Now I was going to say that is the first live one I have ever seen but that would be wrong. When I was in my early 20s I visited someone in a dump of a motel room and they had roaches in it. I had no idea what it was.

Downtown's are notorious for having cockroaches. I once was sitting at a bar and saw a cockroach scurry across the corner of the bar. Now it was not like this place was not kept up after. I think that sprayed for bugs twice a month and were fairly careful all the time.

Once when I was visiting my friends in Florida (who now live in Kentucky) I went with them looking at a house. It was at night and it was dark. We walked into the house and turned on the lights. There were like a million cockroaches that all scurried out of sight. In truth there were maybe 10 of them but I was not use to seeing them. Of course they have lots of fun things like this down in Florida.

About a year ago we moved into the building I work in now. We knew at the time this building had a problem with cockroaches. Up until yesterday the only ones I have seen were dead and there have only been two of them at that. At least one thing, the little buddy I came into work with was not real super fast. I feel a little better about that. Of course they sprayed for them the day before so this beastie may have been handicapped. I just hope none of them follow me hope as they are NOT WELCOME!
8 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...

I've not encounter a cockroach in years. I think that is a divine gift since we lived with hundreds (thousands?) of them in seminary housing the first year I was attending seminary.

December 04, 2008 7:03 AM  
Blogger S said...

When I lived in Venice Beach we had the worst roach problem. One time I layed my purse down at work and a cockroach crawled out of it.
I was so embarrassed, but I dont think anyone saw it.

So, we had to coordinate neighborhood attacks on roaches, all of us buying roach bombs, emptying the food out of our houses, then set off these bombs all at once.

But when you talk about turning on the lights and....I kid you not, when I was suddenly divorced and alone, and unable to function for awhile, I let those roaches get out of control because I was not...and turning on the kitchen light saw dozens of roaches scattering.
In fact, maybe it was the roaches that pushed me out of my post disastrous marriage slump because I was forced to deal with them or move out.
It is way too cold here for roaches but we have had in our house, hundreds of mice, birds, rabbits and once, even a snake snuck in to cool off on our kitchen floor. That was fun, chasing it around to get it out!

OK Barman, you have a Charlie Brown shower curtain?
I am going to make a special trip to Peanuts Mecca for you. They have a gift shop, I have a feeling it wont be too hard to find you something awesome there.......perhaps LR and I oughta make the pilgrimmage.
Have a good day.

December 04, 2008 10:31 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Well you must be living right Nick, that or Alex is keeping them away! :) Until working in this building I have never run into them the couple of mentions. So far I am doing OK with it but yuck.

Susie, oh dear you had it so bad. I am glad you do not have problems with those beasties where you are. I was down in Florida visiting my friends and had a lizard sneak in. I tell you that was worse than any mouse I have every run into. The lizards were interesting as they commonly hung out on the side of the building. I never thought to look for them there.

I should go through and take a few pictures of the Peanuts things I have and post them. Poor Lucy broke her neck. I best fix her before taking pictures or else I may be in trouble. I could be much worse with what I have but I do love my Charlie Brown things.

December 04, 2008 10:56 AM  
Blogger lime said...

in trinidad we had cockroaches as long as my hand. i was afraid they'd carry the baby away.

December 04, 2008 12:58 PM  
Blogger S said...

Someones afraid of miiii iccceee.....

December 04, 2008 1:04 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Lime, that is so huge. I guess I should count myself lucky.

Susie, yep. My first appartment had at least a mouse. I got the feeling something was not right but did not know what the signs were I was seeing. Then one time I saw something scurry across the floor out of the corner of my eye. It took my an hour or two more before I saw the mouse. It was climbing the power cord to the microwave. That freaked me out.

That night when I slept I had my door closed and a towel under the door. I did not sleep well.

I went out and got trapps but I did not want to be around when I caught a mouse so I set the traps and went to work. That poor sucker really liked the peanut butter I used, at least for a moment or two.

I have been known to jump when I see a mouse run through. Yep, I am a coward when it comes to mice. But rats... this one plant I worked at had a rat walk down the path next to a acid tank I was working. It was the size of a good sized cat, paws and all and was walking as if it did not gove a darn that any of us were there. I used a houst to steady myself as I jumped up on the edge of the acid vat. I am sure I would have been in trouble if management saw that. Shudder...

December 04, 2008 1:42 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

*squeal*

ewwww........cockroaches!!!

Have a good weekend

December 05, 2008 6:33 AM  
Blogger barman said...

I am right with you on that KJ. You have a good weekend too.

December 05, 2008 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home