Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

I am afraid this is not upbeat in any way so skip it if you will. Just a warning...




Now the Grinch did not steal Christmas in the classic way. He did not slink down to Whoville and steal the trees, the presents, the food, the Who pudding, even the roast beast. No, that would be entirely to much work. Instead the Grinch circulated a notice to the workers at my Brother in laws plant that they would be closing March 31. Aside from getting things for niece, Christmas is pretty much dead.

So why is the plant closing? A little while ago the company made the decision to build a plant over seas. As that plant came online they started to close more and more divisions in the plant here in Michigan. Now that the other plant has been fully operational for some time, it is time to close the plant here. That and they found an out. Being a plant that works with a lot of chemicals the land is no doubt very contaminated. The cleanup would have been outrageous. Instead they are donating the land to be made into a wild life preserve and they will no long have any responsibility for that land. Similar things happened to property in Lansing where General Motors closed the Verlinden plant and tore it down. They are in the process of tearing down the rest of things and have already planted grass in portions of the property. Soon it will be a turned over to the city as a park.

Now I am not all about presents. I would rather give then receive anyway. I am much more about getting the family together and I am sure we will still do that. But ouch.

My BIL has worked for the plant about 33 years now. When the plant closes he would have only needed another year and a half to be able to retire and draw a pension. As it is now he can kiss that pension goodbye.

Being a master electrician you would think he would be in good shape but being over 50 years old finding another job will be tough. What makes it worse is the country is in recession. What makes it even worse is Michigan has been hurting for over 6 years so we are in much worse shape than just about anywhere else in the country. Foreclosures are extremely high in the Detroit area too. What caps it all off is we depend on the auto industry in Michigan and it is failing miserably now.

Now the good news is he can always do side jobs and I am sure he can expand on that now. They also have my sister working full time and they have benefits from where she works. But there is no way they can make it on what she makes alone. And of course her job is a little shaky too.

Yep, the Grinch stole Christmas and much more this year without lifting a finger other than to send out a notice.


I was working on a listing of Christmas shows that are on TV but did not finish it. I will post what I have later if anyone is interested. So far I have items from ABC Family Channel and The Hallmark Channel.
9 Comments:
Blogger lime said...

ok, now that it terrible but back up a second.....he looses everything that went into his retirement after 33 years??????

that's just criminal!!!!

November 19, 2008 9:11 AM  
Blogger barman said...

I am hoping that is not the case but I am pretty sure that is what they have said. I guess he will find out for sure as time goes on.

I agree with you Lime, that is criminal. Makes you wonder why you should be loyal to a company these days as they sure do not same to return the favor.

November 19, 2008 10:02 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

That's awful.

My heart goes out to them.

I am so sorry

November 19, 2008 3:40 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Isn't it terrible but similar things could happen to me as I am an at will employee and they can just let me go for no reason what so ever. Although at least I would get a retirement at some point I think and get paid for unused leave time. Thank you KJ.

November 19, 2008 5:38 PM  
Blogger ell said...

that is so sad. my heart goes out to them and all others in that situation. which is far too many right now.

November 19, 2008 6:03 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Yes it is sad. Until it happens to someone you know it is just a number. After that you know better. I think we should fire all of the government for a little while and let them see what it feels like. We would never miss them. :-)

November 19, 2008 7:01 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, B. Hugs to your family.

November 20, 2008 10:20 AM  
Blogger barman said...

I hope that when it comes down to it they don't take the pension away. Oh well, so much for loyalty. Thank you Sign.

November 20, 2008 12:15 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I can't remember where I "found" you but have been following you for a while (you just didn't know it)hehe.
I also live in Michigan and work in automotive tool design and have been laid off for 7 months now. It is a sad state we live in. I am very sorry to hear about your BIL. I don't know what I will do either if I can't get a job in my field soon. Hang in there.
Diana

November 30, 2008 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home