Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Strange

Have you noticed something? They say that consumer spending is way down. I know I have been cautious myself but last weekend when I went shopping at the Fairlane Town Center in Dearborn, Michigan there were tons of people walking around. Now I am not sure how many were walking around and how many were buying but I thought things looked pretty good. I also made it around the mall right by me just about a week ago and, although it was not crowded, it certainly was busy. Mental noteā€¦ you need to get back to the local mall to buy something from the vendor in the hallways of the Mall.

Anyway, I also have received way more emails this year from stores that want to sell me something and on sale no less. The one that has been writing me many, many times a week is Circuit City. Some things look like a real bargain but not something I am interested in. Of course Circuit City is in trouble and closing some of their stores so that could explain that. But what I am wondering is if consumers confidence is down then why are so many people still out there buying things? Maybe it is just not big ticket items like cars, homes, etc.

I know I have been taking it easy myself. There are a few things I want to buy but they have been put on the back burner for now. While the cost of gas was way up I was avoiding driving. Now I am relaxed on that a little but I just heard with gas below $2.00 people are starting to look at SUVs again. How short sited is that. This lull in gas is only temporary. We will see high prices once again.

Anyway these are just some observations. We will see what really happens on Black Friday.


Now how about a cute little thing I found... Click here to TECHNOLOGY for country folk.
6 Comments:
Blogger snowelf said...

Bryan, I agree--gas is just going to go back up again. I was just having this same talk with one of my friends tonight. It makes me sad to think that people are being lulled into a false sense of security. Let's see how we are a year from now.

don't forget to get that thing at the mall! :)

--snow

November 20, 2008 6:34 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Hi Snow... People could not wait to get rid of their big vehicles before. They will be doing that in a year or two again. Silly people.

Oh and I did stop tonight and picked up that thing!!! It was different than I remembered but I have it and it is ready to share with a friend. Yea. My first bit of Christmas shopping is done.

November 20, 2008 6:58 PM  
Blogger S said...

Wowee I filled my tnak yesterday for 18 bucks. I havent gotten gas in a month because I dont drive much. I had no idea it had gone down that much, but yes, it will go back up.

I just think Americans could learn to spend less and be more frugal and this is a good time to learn it dont you think?

:)

November 22, 2008 7:45 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I know Susie, things have gotten strange. I saw gas yesterday for $1.87 Of course living where you do I am sure it is more than that. I normally only fill up about every other week because I do not go a lot of places and I live within 5 miles of work. But I am so loving the current cost for gas.

I agree with you about people using the times to learn to be more frugal. In the end it would be in their best interest because things are either going to get better and prices shoot way up or things are going to get much worse and they will already have a head start on dealing with that.

November 23, 2008 10:19 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

Mornin'!!!

November 24, 2008 6:40 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Mornin' KJ. Hope you had a fun time out Friday night.

November 24, 2008 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home