Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Drivers Training

At long last, the day is here. Time for some training, "Drivers Training Sir."

We have three lovely inches of snow on the ground. The snow plows have not been out other than laying down a pre-layer of salt I believe. The parking lots have not been plowed. I got out my snow blower and did my property just to make sure it was working. Now that I did a little work ... time to play.

After a quick clean job on the windshield it is off to the store to pick up some groceries for the Office Christmas Party on Saturday. I decided to fry a Turkey and I need some thaw time.

On goes the driving gloves, on goes the Red Barron driving scarf. A quick turn of the key and the engine comes to life. After letting it run for a little bit I gun it a few times, put it into gear and slowly slip down the double wide driveway in the mini van. Yes, I know... it's such a chick magnet!

I did not miss a trick, after all this was my time. Very little traffic and fairly slippery roads. Time to do a little controlled out of control driving to get my snow legs for the winter. I got going to fast and slammed on the breaks. I gunned it going around the corner which meant not to much steering with a front wheel drive vehicle. I purposely spun it a little, as much as I could with this vehicle. I did some donuts, again as best as possible in this mini van, in the nearest parking lot. I did a little bit of everything and did the rest on the ride home. Yes, I think I have my snow legs back for the year. I guess we will see tomorrow (Friday) when I face to 5-6 inches (possibly 8) of snow tomorrow morning on the ride into work. Of course they are talking about snow days for the schools. Could I be lucky like Buddha Girl was the other day? Although I do not work at a school, it is not unheard of them calling a snow day for us.

Well hopefully the snow will not be to bad so I can quickly clear it with the snow blower and build Frosty before heading into work. I can't wait! Hopefully I will move on to something besides snow soon but it does seem to be filling my days of late.


General Barnicke: Where have you been soldier?
John Winger: Training, sir.
Soldiers: Training, sir.
General Barnicke: What kind of training?
John Winger: Army training, sir.
Soldiers: Army training, sir.
- - Stripes
13 Comments:
Blogger wmy said...

That was you that I saw doing the doughnuts??? I knew it!! LOL Man, I hope they don't call a snow day cause that means i have to take care of my kids myself dammit!! hahahahah

December 09, 2005 12:19 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Better look out. Jackson already has called school. I think Lansing is leaning. An you are from the snow belt. I think you might just be doomed WMY. Good luck.

Yes, that was me. Thanks for not telling everyone about me getting stuck! :)

December 09, 2005 1:13 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

How'd it go this morning with all that snow? I spent an hour and a half blowing the neighbor (oh, that didn't come out right, I think I'll use that on my blog, hehehe) driveway and mine out.

No school, yay, I guess!

December 09, 2005 12:20 PM  
Blogger barman said...

When I do that basically there is no one else on the road or in the parking lot and there is no objects like lamp posts, traffic lights, signs or anything. Nothing to be worried about.

When I am out normally I sometimes am a white nuckler and drive about 35 so I would pass you but everyone else would not be happy with me either. I have done it all my life but I am not a big fan of driving in the winter.

December 09, 2005 12:21 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I spent about 1 hour and 20 minutes. I did my drive and parts of it many times (snow plow came through 4 times - the curse of living on a main side street). I also blew the neighbors sidewalk and part of her driveway approach since the snow plow had burried her drive and the sidewalk. She had already done her everything before. I would have finished it but I was running late.

Well I had to work but I may leave early. I have 5 days to kill before the end of the year or I lose them.

December 09, 2005 12:29 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Hi Grainne. I hate the rain also. I managed to hydroplane before and do som pretty fantastic things on the expressway before coming to a stop. All this becuase I saw trouble up ahead and decided to let off the gas and coast a little until I knew what was going on. Ever since I have been worried about a repeat performance.

I like my work too and if I lose a littel time, I lose it. I am sure I can find something to do with a few days somewhere in there.

I will try and stay warm ... you enjoy the touristy thing.

December 09, 2005 8:00 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Thanks Chrissie. A while back I had a Chrysler Laser with turbo and T-top. Not sure that was me either.

People driving in snow can get on ones nerve for sure.

December 09, 2005 11:58 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Mini vans rock! I love my Nissan Quest. I'm going to do a post about my love for it someday. lol

December 10, 2005 1:47 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

I also wanna see the snow!!!!!!!!!!!! Ugh.

December 10, 2005 2:52 PM  
Blogger Zephyr said...

LOL @ minivans being "chick magnets"! I drive one too, and every time I crawl in it I think... this is SOOOO not me! Remember that old song "I'm too sexy"? Well... I'm too sexy for a minivan! BLAH! hehe

We need to redefine the minivan image, don't you think?

December 10, 2005 4:14 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Wow Wenchy, I can't even imagine. I have grown up with snow all my life. Even though it gets to be old after a while, I can't imagine not having at least some. If I could pack up some snow and ship it to you I would but I get the feeling it would melt before it got there.

December 10, 2005 4:15 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I am afraid minivan has "soccer Mom" written all over it at least where I am. I think that would be hard to change.

Driving my Laser when I had it people were always having to hall me around when we did things as a group because I really could only take one person. The back seat was a joke. I felt I owed people after that. I also briefly had a pickup. I hated not having very much room except in the bed which I did not have covered but I loved the ability to haul things. The minivan became a compramise and I ended up liking what I found.

Changing the immage might be a fun thing to do.

December 10, 2005 4:22 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

"Where O where has my barman gone, oh where o where can he be?"

December 11, 2005 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home