Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, January 05, 2006

It is all Relative

Isn't it funny how things work out? Just short of two months ago winter hit Michigan with a vengeance. One week we were in the 50s and 60s for a high and over night we were into the 30s. Then we received a pile of snow and slipped below freezing for a few weeks. I was freezing my ass off. I had on my best winter coat, winter gloves, a hat and I was thinking about long johns. Fast forward to this morning. It was about mid thirties and I had my coat on but not closed in any way. Now granted there is no snow on the ground as, for the second time this season, we had a complete thaw but there is snow on the way. But still what a big difference a few weeks have made.

Now take someone from Florida. As a matter of fact I visited friends in Florida in December for a week a bunch of years ago. Part way through the week I froze as the high only reached about 61. We went to see the mouse house on that day. Now I love Disney but I think I took a whole day to thaw out. If I were in Michigan at the moment I would simply love the weather.

Another example, March time frame in Michigan. Usually it reaches the 40s and you see people out in shorts and skimpy tops, forget the coats. I don't think I have seen any swimwear that time of year other than catalogs but it would not surprise me. All this because it got probably 10 degrees warmer than it had been in ages.

Weather, it is all relative. I would imagine the winter we have had here in Michigan would seem like a piece of cake to someone in Minnesota. Oh, one more thing … they expect we will see the sun for the first time in almost a week tomorrow. Yes!!! So, tell me, what is the weather like where you are today?


Good is relative. Beauty's relative. Everything's relative. Except for me. I'm absolute. -- Joan of Arcadia
7 Comments:
Blogger SignGurl said...

Holy Crap Barman! We haven't seen the sun in more like 2 weeks. I can't even remember what it looks like.

I don't wear a coat if it's above 30 degrees so I'm liking this!

January 05, 2006 5:09 PM  
Blogger barman said...

OK, so it has been 10 days since we have had a clear day. The other days have been completly overcast.

I think what would have been better to say is that for December and January we have had 2 clear days, 10 partly cloudy days and 24 Cloudy days.

Looking at the weather channel forcast for the next several days it looks like they are saying cloudy until Monday when we are partially cloudy. Now I normally pay attention to my local weather man over the weather channel but I don't know this time. We will see what tomorrow brings. I want my sun back!

January 05, 2006 5:55 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Hey Grainne, my friends moved to Kentucky a long time ago so I am sure it is worse now where they are.

Way to take advantage of what life send your way. Have fun cooking those comfort foods.

January 05, 2006 11:56 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Well, I am writing from Johannesburg, South Africa. It is summer here... about 25 degrees celcius, slightly overcast, a little humid and no real wind.

Do I have a future as a weather girl???

*smile*

Have a wonderful day!!!

January 06, 2006 8:40 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Aw, Sugar, we love it hear in Michigan. At least I do. I love the weather changes and several of them can happen in a day. I was just asking if a little sun was too much to ask for.

BTW, I saw just a peek at the sun today. It was behind some clouds but it was there. :-)

January 06, 2006 9:50 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Hey Wenchy, you already are better than the person on Fox 47 where I am from. With a little work, I bet you could keep up with the best of them. With weather like that I might just want to come and visit.

Sugar, sounds like you might want to think about Hawaii or San Fransisco. Isn't the weather pretty much the same all year around there?

SignGirl, I love the seasons here also. I would hate to give any of them up. I think I could give up the big swings of like 30 degrees or more from one day to the next. Oh, I saw the sun also. I went out to lunch and, one my way back, there was this strange shinny object. It was the SUN! Yeah!!! Only a peak but that is OK.

January 07, 2006 12:22 AM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Come on over! :)

January 07, 2006 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home