Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Saturday, January 07, 2006

It’s Funny Until Someone Gets Hurt

Boy that title changed fast, here is why.

Today was going OK. I was running just a little late to make it to the phone store when they opened. I got outside and noticed it had been misting or very light rain. I stepped off the porch and took my first step on the wet cement. Holly cow, it was black ice. I could not believe how slick it was. My car was outside so I needed to scape it. Now that was amusing. If anyone was watching I am sure they were cracking up before I drove away. I took my scraper and scrapped a few swipes before I was pushed away from the car (no traction an all). Then I went back to the car, took a few more swipes with the scrapper, was pushed away and had to stop and find my way back to the car. This happened for the whole driver side of the vehicle (I drive a mini van with lots of glass) and part of the windshield. The other side of the car was next to a dirt planting bed and that provided me with much needed traction. To bad I did not have some curling stones. This surface was a perfect sheet for curling, well accept for the stress relief points on the cement.

After amusing everyone I got in and pulled cautiously away. Throughout the journey I kept checking the roads by applying the breaks ... I slid pretty far. Once I got going I think I could have turned the car off, hit the breaks and slid to where I was going. Thank goodness there was not to much traffic on the road.

Lets shorten this up a little. I got to the phone company and ended up with a 15 minute wait. The gentleman that helped me was fantastic. Not only did he get the phone situation straightened out for me, he also told me how I could take the phone apart and switch a few parts and have a working phone without having to go back to where I bought it. Of course that was after he tried to sell me a new phone but hey, that is part of his job.

Going back out to the car I took a spill and I came down hard. I landed on the right side of my body. My arm already hurt some, now it hurts more. I am sure my hip will be fun over the next handful of days and my wrist is a little sore. I don’t think I did any permanent damage but I am going to be feeling this for a while to come.

When I got home I took the phones apart and played surgeon, or was that God? I had to decide who lived and who died. Well now I have one completely working phone and one more or less dead phone. I will take a look at it to see if I can at least use it to charge my second battery I have. If not, I will take it apart and see what I did wrong. The good new is, I have a working phone. Yeah!


[Fred has just fallen down after taking a swing at Barney] Whale on the beach! Whale on the beach!
-- The Flintstones
18 Comments:
Blogger Pat & Reg said...

I used to live in Chicago and I do not miss the slipping a falling. I didn't drive for the very reason you just described. Happy winter to you!!

January 07, 2006 1:31 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Hi there Reg,

This is not one of my favorite parts of Michigan weather but oh well. By the way, the coldest day I have ever been through was in Chicago. It was 40 below zero and the wind chill was 70 below zero. I am still cold thinking about that weekend.

January 07, 2006 1:38 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I hope that you are ok. Falling sucks!Can you just stay inside for the rest of the weekend? I hope so cause you need to rest.

January 07, 2006 1:54 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I hurt a bit but I think I am OK. We will see after the weekend is over where I am. For now I will just be real careful.

January 07, 2006 6:17 PM  
Blogger Zephyr said...

Hope you feel better soon. And at least your phone is feeling better!

January 07, 2006 8:06 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Ouch! You okay?

January 07, 2006 9:05 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Well I guess this means your really not coming to pick me up huh...lol

January 07, 2006 10:50 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I am hurting and I am sure over the next couple of days I will be worse but I think the score is not breaks, no fractures, just pain. I can do pain ... I hope.

Hey Brigitte, how about next Saturday night about 8:00 unless you have a hot date in which case how about Sunday. LOL

January 07, 2006 10:57 PM  
Blogger Brigitte said...

Bryan my friends & I watched War Of The Worlds tonight & it was freaking awesome! I was so tore up over the movie that I smoked almost a pack of cigarettes..lol..I really get into movies..it's just like reading a book..I feel like I'm that person in the movie..lol..if you haven't seen it please see it..I'm not crazy about Tom Cruise but I think he was awesome in this..hope your feeling better..A friend of mine fell outside my apt. last winter & we had to get an ambulance for him..no hot date..I swore off dating until I get over the last relationship..anyways you can come hang out with me & see how crazy I really am..lol

January 08, 2006 1:20 AM  
Blogger wmy said...

Ohhh nooo...sorry to hear bout that!! I am on my way right now with massage oils and wine...we'll just get ya licquored up and rub all your troubles away k??

January 08, 2006 1:36 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Thanks everyone. After a decent nights sleep I feel better. Now it is just a matter of healing back up. Oh and it is official, the phone is working again. At least something good came out of yesterday.

Brigitte, I wanted to see War of the Worlds but somehow just never did. I love most movies myself, even ones others do not. I used to like Tom Cruise but then he got a little weird for me.

Wendy, that would be nice. I think my shoulder feels better already.

Dive goddess, I am just happy when people are able to visit so it is great to see you again. I hope when you have your seasonal slip it is minor.

January 08, 2006 9:51 AM  
Blogger mkecurler said...

I hope you are feeling a bit better. The ice decription did make me drool though ;)

January 08, 2006 10:21 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Hi Sabatkes, I made sure to add that to see if you were around. It really did remind me of curling ice as it was not perfectly smooth but instead had a certain pebble like feel to it.

January 09, 2006 1:06 AM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Hey Mr. B.

Just checking in to see how ya feeling.

January 09, 2006 8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How ya doin Bryan?

case of the missing post..I posted on here yesterday, I must've done a preview check and then forgotten to post it..Doh!

January 09, 2006 5:28 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Isn't that funny Top Cat. I used to be a little hurt when that happened. I thought people were deleting my comments. I mean it is OK not to agree with me. It is certainly OK to post something negative about what I posted or even just ignore me but please don't delete it.

Well it turns out either I make mistakes which would not surprise me or blogger is not perfect.

Good to see you again TC. What was with that HNT last week? Yikes, I am worried to go back ... hahaha

January 09, 2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Needing a bit of a new post here Mr. B.

January 09, 2006 9:05 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I been lazy. I guess I better get my camera out and see what I can do about that ...

January 09, 2006 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home