Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Splish, Splash I was Taking a Bath

Could someone pass me a towl?

I finally took apart my washing machine to see what was going on. I cleaned the floor up and the inside of the machine to make sure I could tell what was going on. I carefully made sure everything was dry. Then the test. Set the washing machine on a small load, cold water and just let it run.

The machine filled up, around and around it went.

kerthunk, kerthunk, kerthunk, kerthunk...

A ha, there is a tiny little puddle forming so I dried it up. Then there was another which was promptly dried up. Then another and more of the precious ones. It kept me busy but this was all trivial. By the time the whole load was done I think I would only have seen maybe a couple of ounces of water so no real big deal.

kerthunk, kerthunk, kerthunk, kerthunk...

The cycle just would not end. Why did I pick the long cycle.

kerthunk, kerthunk, kerthunk, kerthunk...

Well no need to build an arc here. But I just do not understand. That is not what I was seeing when I was doing the laundry. And then it happened. The machine came to a load thunk and stopped, getting ready for what was next. For some reason I felt like when you are ridding a roller coaster and you are coming to the top of that first hill, just about to go over the top. Well I was not disappointed.

The machine loudly started the next stage. I had my head right there next to the heart of the beast. My flashlight was on as I looked at all the various locations, the tub, the belt, the motor, the floor under the machine... and then it happened. I was wet. Not just a little wet but very wet. I thought I was taking a shower. Water was flying everywhere. I think the basement was quickly filling up. It must have gotten a good 4 inches deep before I got over the shock and tried to figure out what was going on. How could this be?

Every time I tried to see what was going on I was hit in the eye with water. I used to wear glasses most of my life. The glasses sure would come in handy now. Maybe I should see if I could find some safety glasses.

Somehow I managed to block most of the water and get a look see what was happening. Surely one of the large water hoses that carry water around the washing machine must have completely fallen apart. So what did I see? A little nib coming off the water pump, probably no bigger than 1/8 inch. How could something that small cause me all these problems? Of course the water was coming out under pressure but that was not what was making it bad. The water was falling on some strange looking do-hicky (technical term) that connected the motor to the water pump. It was something designed to help isolate the movement of the machine. It also was perfectly designed to fling the water everywhere and I do mean everywhere!

For a little while I had thoughts of what I was going to do. If I could just run some power and water out to the front yard I could build a nice little reflector pond and use the washing machine as a water fountain. I always thought it might be nice to have a water feature... OK, back to reality... I would only be able to use it half the year anyway living up her in the great white North. Well that and I think the neighbors and the local government might not be amused.

Well after stopping the machine, drying up and cleaning up everything that I could it was time to see what else I could do. The Internet to the rescue. The manufacture had a web site that was not very helpful. After poking around what seemed like forever I managed to get the system to accept the model of washing machine I had. Their search engine was so unforgiving. I typed in the model, WWA5600VCLAD and it did not find it. After playing with it I finally found the machine as WWA5600VCL. I located the part number but of course the manufacture did not carry that part, the water pump assembly. Luckily I did a little more searching and found a company just the next state over that had my part. It is on the way. Now I need to find my way to the local laundromat. I am sure that will be an adventure in itself. Oh and by the way, I may just have exaggerated the problem just a little...


Lovely, ladies, lovely. Now turn. Take the body with you. Lovely. Now let's have a try at our Grecian Urns. One Grecian Urn......Two Grecian Urns..........and a fountain.....trickle, trickle, trickle. Splendid, ladies. I predict that our Del Sarte display will be the highlight of the Ice Cream Sociable. -- The Music Man
6 Comments:
Blogger Desireous said...

Well you know you are a good writer when you can write a post about watching your washer wash and fixing the leak and I, Miss ADD Gemini who can't sit still for a minute unless completly interested and absorbed (which usually means it would have to be about sex LOL) read it from top to bottom and never lost interest. Way to go! Damn good writing!

Hugs
Des

January 15, 2006 1:41 PM  
Blogger barman said...

I don't know that I am that good of writer but I sure do like to have fun with it.

By the way, I hear some woman find the washing machine rather ... stimulating. Maybe that is what was running through your head as you were reading. LOL

Thanks so much for visiting.

January 15, 2006 3:30 PM  
Blogger Zephyr said...

Speaking of stimulating...

When you got to the part about the "next stage" I got all tingly inside. And I got an incredible urge to do laundry.

I don't understand it.

January 15, 2006 6:20 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Lara, who knew? Forget a fancy car, forget a fast boat... just go out and invest in a high quality washer. LOL

January 15, 2006 6:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Bryan, our dryer started acting up about a week ago, started squeaking when drying..mr hanyman Tc called Sears and let them do the kerplunking.:)

January 16, 2006 5:30 PM  
Blogger barman said...

TC, I think I can handle this and save money. The garage door is a different beast. I will be getting someone out for that one.

January 16, 2006 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home