Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Thursday, July 20, 2006

How Much is that Gas at the Station?

I was heading somewhere this evening and I happened to notice something. There on the side of the road was a big vehicle for sale. A little further down I saw a good sized boat (not BTE sized but) and a four wheeler. Typical toys for up north. A little further up there were some jet skis. Followed by a decent sized truck. I noticed the same thing on my return trip despite going a different path home.

So now I ask you. Is this because of the bad economy in Michigan. It could be but I kind of doubt it. Is it because of the price of a gallon of gas. Maybe yes, maybe no but I really think it is. I mean a little trip up north, lets say 300 miles. Now lets figure $3.00 a gallon and 20 miles to the gallon (very generous if you are towing your toys) and you have a $90 bill just for one trip. Considering your gas millage could be as bad as 12 to 15 mile to the gallon and the prices goes up. Add a quarter to the price of gas and the price goes up.

Now I have heard a few reports in the last few days saying the price of gas has not changed our habits. I disagree. I know it has changed things with me a little and it will get even worse. I also know my boss has sold his truck and bought a HHR instead. I also noticed the cost of eating out is up and groceries are going up as well.

So is it just Michigan or have you noticed a change too?


I use this to hammer in my "For Sale" signs. You know, every time I swing it I feel like I'm driving in a golden spike on a whole new future and I smile. Although sometimes I hit a sprinkler line, then I just run! --In-Laws
6 Comments:
Blogger Mone said...

Hi Barmann, thats not only in Michigan, its over here too.
Gas got up to €1,40 per liter. Food got more expansive since the trucks have to pay fees to use the autobahn. Next year, the salestax is rising to 17%. The goverment is taking more and more money out of the pockets of the working poor over here, that just pisses me off.
Either you have to be rich, o.k.that would be the better side haha, or you have to be a jobless stay at home, then you dont have to pay that much because social security is paying...

July 21, 2006 3:03 AM  
Blogger Manny said...

$2.96 a gallon, spent $23.00 total. I don't ever let me tank get that low, I am the type to keep it topped off. i must have forgot. It will however last me over 2 weeks. I guess I shouldn't buy the truck i have been looking at. haha

July 21, 2006 5:53 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Mone it is a shame to see the effects and the sad part is, although it affects everyone, it certainly effects those that are living paycheck to paycheck even more.

Manny I tend to keep mine fairly full, rarely going under half a tank. Of course now with the way prices are always ping poing here in cerntal Michigan I buy when the price is down and hold when the price is up. Sounds like the stock market to me.

July 21, 2006 8:07 AM  
Blogger GAB said...

Whats an HHR? Its not only there it is here too. We have 3 cars sitting here doing nothing because we cant afford the gas. Which means I go no where unless I have to then I either wait till hubby is home to use that car or borrow my daughters which by the way same make and model as ours just a newer one. I dont see an end to this madness. I do see that sooner or later one of my 2 homes will have to be sold. I am hoping against hope that I never have to sell my farm. (does that make me sound rich?)I will fully explain on my blog later today.(whispering I'll email you recipe now that Im up and moving)

July 21, 2006 3:24 PM  
Blogger Brighton said...

There is a truck dealership here in Texas that is offering five years of FREE gas if you buy one of their super duty trucks.
There has to be a catch...

July 21, 2006 6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think people are starting to realize it's only going to get worse and are trying to dump this stuff before it get's impossible.
Tc

July 22, 2006 2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home