Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Monday, July 24, 2006

Make Mine a Double

What a weekend. First let me say my time I had to spend on the Internet was about non existent on Friday and Saturday and then my Internet access on Sunday almost did not exist. I think I have some catching up to do.

Friday I went to a wedding. Well actually, to be accurate, I went to a reception. I was heading down for the wedding, no idea when and where it was, expecting to contact my Sister and get the details. I waited until just about 5:00 pm to call since by then I knew when I would be down and I got voice mail Uh oh, definite wrinkle in my plan. OK, so we call the home phone. No answer. Not to panic, at least not yet.

I get a hold of my parents hoping they were invited or at least know a little about what is going on. My Mom is going on about different things and trying to get a hold of my Sister and she will have her get back with me by Saturday. I said Mom, the wedding is today. Well, to shorten the story she tried to contact my Sister too and could not get her.

OK, now I was panicking. Leave it to me to do something stupid like leaving home without directions. Here not only was I driving 100 miles for nothing but I also had a busy Saturday and I would have been better off not going to the wedding. Well time to put plan C into affect.

I thought that they were going to one of two places for the reception. First I stopped and got a card because, even if I did not make the reception I at least owed them a card and some money.

As I drove to the first venue I figured I would give my Sister a try again and of course nothing. I pulled into the first haul parking lot. My I must say things have changed a lot there. It has been forever since I have been to Crystal Gardens. The parking lot is tiny but the place looked like it was still classy, at least from the outside. I drove through the parking lot and did not see a familiar car so I left.

Well by them I was fairly resigned to not making it to the wedding/reception at all. Who has a wedding at 5:00 on a Friday anyway? I do not know where I got 6:00 pm from, probably my head substituting a more reasonable time. I went over my parents house. They stepped out for a few minutes but I figured I might as well just go visit for a while before going back home. Out of desperation I made on last attempt at getting my Sister. She answered. I acted a bit cool to her, not because I could not get her before but why didn’t she return my call. She, in her typical fashion, called my parents house instead of me. Arg! Oh well, I could have avoided all of this by having the invite. So I got the information. It was at the other location, the Grecian Center and they were just pulling in. I filled out the card, left a little note for Mom and Dad and headed off to the reception.

The reception was nice. The food was nice. The liquid refreshments, plentiful. Of course our table wanted to get pitchers of beer and they did not have pitchers available. Oh well, more trips to the bar were in store. The DJ was doing pretty good although sometimes I could not understand him. He seemed to have this thing for Frank Sinatra and other things from about that time frame. Now I am not picking on Frank Sinatra but usually at a wedding you cater a lot to the older folks as they are the ones that write the bigger checks. Well, I think I have slipped into the older folks category and I wanted some rock and roll. Well after dinner things got much more lively.

The table I was at was “that table.” You know, the trouble maker table that everyone secretly wished they were there. First thing you know the blank cardboard and markers came out. Time to put together some signs to rate the newlywed kisses from clinking the glasses. There was the tradition, “69". We had a 3 that was turned into East German 3. Basically have you ever noticed for the Olympics how certain countries seem to consistently rank other countries down. There was another sign, “Me 2.” Who could blame her, the groom was good looking ... for a guy. There was a “I’M Drunk” with the letters flip-flopped every which way. Let me tell you the signs were a big hit. At one part another table came and captured the signs so they could take pictures with the “69" sign. A whole table full of girls. Um, I wanted to go join that table. Anyway the all time favorite was “Mud Man.” A nickname he earned from our many labor day weekend camping trips. The groom loved it.

Well this has already been way to long so lets move it on along. One event happened at the wedding I have never seen before. They were dancing in the pigs trough. What the heck is this. It only lasted one dance. The DJ kind of said what was going on but about all I head was that it was either some sort of family thing of some sort of Ohio tradition. So if you have any idea what this is all about I would appreciate you sharing. Now it was cute enough looking but certainly strange looking at the same time. NOTE: It appears that the tradition is if a younger brother or sister is married before the older brother or sister than the older brother/sister has to dance in the pigs trough kind of to shame them I guess. Of course here everyone was having a good time so no shame there.


The final thing about the wedding, I LOVE MY CAMERA. I still have lots of adjusting to do but I took over 300 pictures. Most of them turned out. I had a love affair with the timer button for some reason. I finally changed what I was doing. I also noticed that on occasion it had a hard time focusing and flashed the flash a little to help it focus so that slowed things down but, all and all not bad. I do need to get a better flash then the on camera flash. Now the pictures did turn out but they could have been lit a little better. Also when I wanted to take quick pictures I just could not do it like when they throw the garter of the bouquet. So I guess there is a big flash in my future. Now I already have a potato mashers (huge flash) but it will not sync up properly with the camera and I lose a bit of the features of the camera using it anyway.

I rushed home at 11:00 so I could get some sleep in preparation for the golf scramble. We had a title to defend. It was a slam dunk. We were 11 strokes over on the front 9 and 10 over on the back. That is unheard of on a scramble. But it did earn us a last place trophy. I mean there is no way we will ever be first and everyone else just gets lost in the middle so why not stand out. Our team was even called team LP for Last Place. Now things were a little ugly, especially toward the end. None of us are golfers (could you tell) but one fo the girls had never golfed before. Let me just say what a party animal. Anyway, the other one at least got some pointers and had swung a club before. Toward the end they were swinging at the ball, a miss. Swing again, a miss, hit the call go a few feet, not good enough. Go repeat the previous. I tell you the people behind us got mad and I do not blame them. They started hitting golf balls before they should have. You could hear them hit near by. I am glad they never hit us as I know I would have taken their a** to court. What they were doing was intentional. Anyway lots more about golf but what can I say, the streak continues.

You know the funny thing about this weekend was watching all the drunks. For the most part I do not drink much at all at a wedding as it makes the photos interesting at best. The golf outing I probably only had 3 beers over 6 hours since I thought it might be nice if at least someone stayed in control.


Sunday was a much more quiet day especially with my Internet access all but non existent. I hope everyone had a nice weekend.


Wow, you're pretty, you're smart. Now all you need as a drunken relative behind the scenes embarrassing you with every move they make. --Gilmore Girls
10 Comments:
Blogger Penrick said...

Great story. I will have to do some research on the pig trough as I am planning a wedding.

July 24, 2006 11:40 AM  
Blogger barman said...

I found a bunch of link on this now that I spelled it correctly. Two that also referenced Ohio are:

"The pig trough stockings:" exchanging information

At the Rochester/Oronoco antique shows, held in these two Minnesota towns each August, I met a dealer who said he had acquired some clothing-related items at an Iowa family's auction about 35 years ago. Among them was a pair of machine-knitted ivory silk stockings with simple clocked motifs. A little soiled, they were found with two notes attached. One was written in pencil: "These are the pig trough stockings," and one typed on an old pica typewriter: "Because the younger sister married before the older one these stockings were given to the older sister by the groom and she had to dance in a new pig trough. This was the custom in the days of 1829. KG."

I'm the editor of the quarterly newsletter of the Costume Society of America (CSA), and I placed a query in the Fall 1999 issue to see whether any members had heard of this custom, or could verify that stockings could have been machine-knitted in 1829. E-mails arrived, showing that readers recognized the pig trough dance as an Appalachian custom; one said it was still in use in our time in some parts of Ohio. One person I met at an antique show said she vaguely remembered reading about this practice, and called it a northern Baltic or northern Balkan wedding custom.
Talking with faculty members at the College of St. Catherine, I learned that stocking knitting machines existed as far back as the16th century, and better ones were developed in the 18th, so an early 19th-century knitting system was entirely feasible. None of this exactly verifies the family's story; it upholds the possibility and paves the way for more research.


HISTORY OF COSHOCTON COUNTY (Ohio)

In later years, if there was an older unmarried brother of the bride present, he was certain to be compelled "to dance in the hog-trough." This somewhat humiliating operation was inflicted upon him as a lesson to bachelors. Sometimes he would submit quietly, cheerfully, and grace-fully, marching to the pig-pen and dancing his jig in the trough from which the swine devoured the off-fallings of the cabin table; at other times he would escape from his assailants and seek safety in flight, and if fleet on foot, sometimes escaped; but if overtaken, he would not unfrequently fight with great desperation, and it often required considerable force to accomplish the desired object.

I kind of like it. Although I would have had to dance twice. Maybe it is not so good after all.

July 24, 2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger Crabby said...

AHHHHHHHHHH HA HA HA! Pig trough dancing is not an Ohio tradition. Some Wolverine made that up. LOL!

Dude! I like the idea of the signs! Why didn't I think of that?

Can't believe we both had wedding duty this weekend. OY!

July 24, 2006 4:44 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Hey I am only saying what I saw on the WEB. It mentioned Ohio as did the DJ. I also saw something about Philidalpia or something but I didn't mention it in case Denny stops by. Of course you can not believe everything you read on the WEB.

I think I have a picture or two of the signs. I will see about adding it to the monster post.

July 24, 2006 4:49 PM  
Blogger indiansfan said...

barman, that sounds like quite the interesting friday night and saturday. I've never heard of the sign thing, but maybe I will remember it if my youngest ever gets married. No sense in saving her from being embarressed by mom on that day, is there? and the golf outing? I used to golf and they were the most fun. especially if I had someone on my foursome that could really golf! LOL It also sounds like you needed a quiet Sunday to rest and relax for a big day of work on Monday. Hope your week goes as well!

July 24, 2006 7:33 PM  
Blogger GAB said...

Glad you had a great time. My computer has been giving me trouble since last week. And the fan went out in my laptop. I havent forgotten the recipe either. I will get it too you.

July 24, 2006 8:22 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

You should have called me to make the signs!

July 24, 2006 8:32 PM  
Blogger barman said...

Indiansfan, the signs work out wounderful. I know it has been going on at least 16 years (they did it at my sisters wedding) and many times since then. I don't know about doing this to your daughter. I might be able to put together a table. Come to think of it if you can get Manny and Crabby invited then you are all set. The golfing was OK but not as fun as usuall. The week will be a busy one but I will get through than the remainder of the summer should be much better.

Gab I know you are good for it. I myself have been having internet troubles so I so understand.

Wow, never had profesional signs for a wedding before. Now that would be something. LOL

July 24, 2006 10:10 PM  
Blogger Manny said...

Don't feel bad Barman, I can never get Crab on the phone. My only hope is to catch her here in blogville. LOL It could be my fault though, I insist on having a private number.

July 25, 2006 8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

August 11, 2006 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home