Bryan's Little Corner

Welcome to Bryan's Little Corner 

Monday, February 18, 2008

Now That is Entertainment

What an interesting picture I went to see Juno.



One place I was reading they said it was an artsie movie plucked from the art houses and placed into mainstream movie houses. You know, I think I kind of liked that.

Now besides the movie, there was other entertainment going on. I go to the little theater in this little town. The theater was only about a third full so plenty of room to move around. I got there early and was I glad I did. I would have missed some of the entertainment.

The place had a smattering of couples, a few singles and lots of empty seats. Next thing I know a gang of teen boys comes in. There was 5 or maybe six in that group. It was hard to say how many as there where two that were constantly jumping up wandering around the theater. Another came later and still another, well I am not sure where they came from. One of the wanderers had “the moves” as I can only assume he thought he was cool, or was it that he was the clown... not really sure. For some reason it kind of made me yearn for high school all over again. Anyway there was also another person who was the gamer of the crew as they sat and played games on their cell as another buddy looked on. There was also plenty of flashing of cell phones going on as they all had to stay in touch with each other.

Before long a giggle of teen girls came in and they sat in back, well for a little while. The wandering welcoming committee from the gang headed up in their direction and next thing you know, the giggle came down front and off to the left. Funny I payed attention to them for a little while. I saw similar people in the giggle as I saw in the gang. The goof ball, the game player, the watcher, the wanderers. There was an addition as the giggle had along some ones little brother too. Of course with the giggle there was constant heading out of the theater and back but they would always do it in pairs. Could it be they were using the bathroom? But the guys bathroom is so small that only one person uses it at a time. Maybe the ladies is different. I guess I just do not understand giggles. At one point there was someone that came running down the isle at like mac 2. How they ever stopped I do not know. Surely this could not be the giggle, that would be most un-cool (what I know of it). It turned out it was the younger brother of the giggle. Ah, that works,

Throughout the movie there were lots of little lines that would set the teens off. Sometimes it was the gangs turn, sometimes the giggles. It was interesting seeing what type of humor set them off. Mostly however, they were fairly quiet and just watched the movie or entertained themselves.

At the end of the movie the giggle scooted out just as the credits started. The gang got in some sort of huddle and just talked. Slowly everyone else filtered out leaving the gang in the theater. Even though I did not do a great job of describing the goings on, I must say I was most entertained.

As to the movie, I enjoyed it. Somehow not being a Hollywood production was enjoyable. Seeing a teen take responsibility for her actions resulting in her pregnancy was refreshing. Some of the sayings, oh heck, most of them I either did not hear properly or I am majorly out of touch with teen speak. Heck who am I kidding, I am sure it is both. All and all I can see why IMDB gave them an 8.3 I think it was. If you are looking for something to see and you can deal with the teen pregnancy I think you just might like it, I know I did. That was my evening yesterday.
8 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the story, Bryan. As a long time student of human behavior, I understand how the side show could (almost) be as interesting as the film itself..

February 18, 2008 7:01 AM  
Blogger lime said...

ok, my favorite part is the collective noun for a group of girls=giggle.....classic!

February 18, 2008 8:37 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I watched that movie yesterday on my computer. It was pretty cute.

I loved your descriptions of the teens. Too funny!

February 18, 2008 8:57 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Nick I never used to be as much attention but then I discovered how very interesting it was. People are just so amazing.

Lime, I am not thrilled about what I used for the guys but the girls sold it for me. When they first came into the theater there was plenty of giggling so it just had to be that.

Sign, usually I am not around so many teens gathered in one spot. After they put on such a wonderful little show I just had to do my best to share it with everyone.

February 18, 2008 12:52 PM  
Blogger Queenie said...

I drive my partner crazy, 'people watching', he calls it being nosey (he's unkind like that sometimes). Can't cope with facing a wall in a pub restaurant etc, have to have the full view of the place, then like you I sit and make up names and scenarios, to fit the folks in there. I really enjoyed hearing about the giggles, the film sounded alright as well.

February 19, 2008 4:42 AM  
Blogger jillie said...

LOL....I think I had more fun just reading your descriptions of the giggles and the gang. Hey that would make a good band name! LOL...ah yes, those were the days huh? With the way things are now days, I wouldn't want to be a teenager again. Maybe if I had a guarantee that I could go back to my era, I might.

Anywhoooooo....great post Bryan ;o)

February 19, 2008 11:43 AM  
Blogger barman said...

Queenie, you are my kind of person. I do not think if you are not listening in on their conversation you are being to nosey. And the pub, yes definetly.

The Giggles and Gang, not bad. Makes as much sense as anything else does. Good point Jillie, I would want it to be the way it was, not the way it is now. Then I would see if I could bring out the bad boy side as the ladies always seem to like that. Of course I am not sure I have/had a bad boy side. :(

February 19, 2008 12:53 PM  
Blogger Little Wing said...

I am going to see this movie!
I LOVED your description of the giggle gang, yes human behavior is such fun to watch!
Can be better than the movie sometimes!!!!!

February 21, 2008 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home